Sponsored

Has anyone owned an R first, and went to a non-R?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's faster.
The thread topic is "has anyone owned and R first, and went to a non-R?"

So you are suggesting that your non R is faster? How can this be? Are you a faster driver? Do you have a race license? Have you been in any races?

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I drive them both regularly. No paranoia about wheels, but as you know the ground clearance is DEFINITELY a thing. The R scrapes leaving the garage no matter how I do it. The 350 doesn't. The 350 is a car I can actually relax in. Almost impossible for me to relax in the R but that's not a complaint. R is 2016 with 31k. 350 is a 2020 with 5k.

As to your question:

To you help you decide, would be based on your personal lifestyle and requirements. If it was the only car I could keep, the 350. I'd need the fold down seats for Costco dog beds and clearance for driveways, and would want to have an, "occasionally normal car".

But if I still had an F150 or another car laying around? The R is EASILY the only choice.

Let us know what you do. Good luck and please stop drowning R's.

20231105_225513.jpg

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I owned a GT350 for years and put a bunch of miles on it including track days. I loved that car, but decided some variety and experience with other models of vehicles was important to me. After foolishly selling it, I test drove a used R. Frankly, I didn't like the R as much. Yes, I immediately noticed the difference with the CF wheels and cup 2 tires. The suspension stiffness is fine in the R in my opinion. I think if I had a ton of extra money to not worry about damaging CF wheels and buying new tires several times a year and rearranging my driving patterns to avoid dragging the splitter I might own an R. Oh and I would have to change out the seats, because I don't like the Recaros.

The R is just not for me. The exclusivity doesn't have any value for me. Mainly I see it as a detractor which would make it more difficult for me to use it as a car and really enjoy it every day.

But don't listen to me, I'm that crazy guy who thinks the GT350 is better than my current GT, but still I prefer to own a GT because I think all in all it's the way to go for me. To me the worst thing in the world would be to want to drive somewhere but be afraid to take my "best" car because something might happen to it. I want to own cars that I will drive everywhere and any time. I don't want to own some terrible, soul-destroying pickup, SUV or econobox and drive that most of the time in order to preserve the fun car.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I owned a GT350 for years and put a bunch of miles on it including track days. I loved that car, but decided some variety and experience with other models of vehicles was important to me. After foolishly selling it, I test drove a used R. Frankly, I didn't like the R as much. Yes, I immediately noticed the difference with the CF wheels and cup 2 tires. The suspension stiffness is fine in the R in my opinion. I think if I had a ton of extra money to not worry about damaging CF wheels and buying new tires several times a year and rearranging my driving patterns to avoid dragging the splitter I might own an R. Oh and I would have to change out the seats, because I don't like the Recaros.

The R is just not for me. The exclusivity doesn't have any value for me. Mainly I see it as a detractor which would make it more difficult for me to use it as a car and really enjoy it every day.

But don't listen to me, I'm that crazy guy who thinks the GT350 is better than my current GT, but still I prefer to own a GT because I think all in all it's the way to go for me. To me the worst thing in the world would be to want to drive somewhere but be afraid to take my "best" car because something might happen to it. I want to own cars that I will drive everywhere and any time. I don't want to own some terrible, soul-destroying pickup, SUV or econobox and drive that most of the time in order to preserve the fun car.
This is a very relatable post. Sucks to own nice stuff and not be able to enjoy it. It's a psychosis that can be challenging to get past... just like the Recaros. You have to really adopt a: YOLO, can't take it to the grave, F it, IDGAF attitude. It's hard. The GT is a very well rounded car. Zero paranoia. That's why I keep this guy laying around.

20230830_212611.jpg

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This is a very relatable post. Sucks to own nice stuff and not be able to enjoy it. It's a psychosis that can be challenging to get past... just like the Recaros. You have to really adopt a: YOLO, can't take it to the grave, F it, IDGAF attitude. It's hard. The GT is a very well rounded car. Zero paranoia. That's why I keep this guy laying around.

20230830_212611.jpg
The GT is a great all-weather daily. Yours is so beautiful I'd probably have trouble driving it in the snow.

IMG_0541.JPG

I understand why you don't want to daily drive the 350 or 500. I had a winter beater when I owned my GT350 for the worst winter days.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Well put.

And a lot of what's said here is why I think I've enjoyed my lowly '15 GT more than my S197 GT500 and the other special edition Mustangs I've had. In a nutshell, I'm not paranoid about using it. And no phobia about modifying it (easily reversible mods, that is).

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I'm sorry but I really don't understand the logic behind not using something because it's special, or "too nice." If it's a money / financial thing, I get it...I'd never want to stretch myself or put myself in a position where if anything went wrong, anything got damaged, I would be in a tough spot...but not being able to use/enjoy something because of that reason to me just doesn't register. It's essentially like not asking a girl on a date because she's "too hot"...I just don't get it...

I always want to enjoy the best version of what I can afford...whatever that may be for you. That's why I bought the 350R and not a GT3 RS. Can I technically afford it, yes, but if anything went wrong in my life, or if anything happened to that car, I would be in a tougher spot, and that would realistically hamper my ability to enjoy it. So, the 350R is the best version of what I can enjoy in a stress free sense. I wouldn't avoid the RS if I felt I could comfortably own it, financially speaking. Would I drive it to Stop & Shop and park up front? NO, but then again, I wouldn't do that with any car I cared for!

Not taking shots at anyone here, to each his own and I know enjoyment is purely subjective...I just always want to enjoy the best version of something within my means.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not taking shots at anyone here, to each his own and I know enjoyment is purely subjective...I just always want to enjoy the best version of something within my means.
There's definitely nothing wrong with being a collector just because you like cars, but I agree with you. I averaged about 10,000 miles per year on my GT350 and I wouldn't have wanted to own it and never drive it.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I can't have GT350R. I wouldn't make it out of my garage down the street. I barely can make it down with my GT350 going down in the angle. Not to mention roads where I live are full of potholes and bumps. I love to drive this car rather than watch it sitting in the garage. If I were located in a more suitable area, I would prob have an R.
Sponsored