Sponsored

Has anyone installed a Rockford Fosgate DSR1?

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I had the DSR1, it sucked, talked to many tech support people from RF and Masetro; both pointing fingers at each other. I ended up sending DSR1 back, scanned my radio with forscan app and plugged directly into my amp. It sounded great just like that, then I purchased a JL TWK-88, and all I can say now is OMFG.

Front
https://www.jlaudio.com/c5-650-car-audio-speakers-c5-speaker-systems-99104

Rear
https://www.jlaudio.com/c5-650x-car-audio-speakers-c5-coaxial-systems-99105

Sub
https://www.jlaudio.com/ho112-w6v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93315
Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I had the DSR1, it sucked, talked to many tech support people from RF and Masetro; both pointing fingers at each other. I ended up sending DSR1 back, scanned my radio with forscan app and plugged directly into my amp. It sounded great just like that, then I purchased a JL TWK-88, and all I can say now is OMFG.

Front
https://www.jlaudio.com/c5-650-car-audio-speakers-c5-speaker-systems-99104

Rear
https://www.jlaudio.com/c5-650x-car-audio-speakers-c5-coaxial-systems-99105

Sub
https://www.jlaudio.com/ho112-w6v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93315
How recently did you own the DSR1? Was it after the most recent firmware updates?

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
How recently did you own the DSR1? Was it after the most recent firmware updates?
Yes, and several of there beta releases they said it had to go to there engineers. I could not wait longer.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
How did you hook up the TWK? I have one that I want to put in the car. But am not sure of the best way to do it. I have the maestro harness and DSR1 also ready to go in but I would prefer the TWK. I was thinking of using the harness with the TWK but returning the DSR1.

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
How did you hook up the TWK? I have one that I want to put in the car. But am not sure of the best way to do it. I have the maestro harness and DSR1 also ready to go in but I would prefer the TWK. I was thinking of using the harness with the TWK but returning the DSR1.
Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

I posted the link above for you, bascally you modify the harness and add RCAs to the grey, white, purple and green wires, used the blue for remote turn on. These all plug direct into you TWK-88, next you need to flash the bus to set line level outs and flatten the signal. I also cut the brown, black and yellow wires and taped them up good. I believe the black was ground, yellow was power for the old amp, brown for the Cann bus, all of which are not needed.

Used the forscan app and flashed my radio with these codes.

727-01-01 xx5A xxxx xxxx
727-01-02 00xx

Next I ran 9 wire from amp up to grey and brown connectors and ran line directly to rears.
Hope that makes sense.

Sounds phenomenal, only downside is twk has not Bluetooth connection but after seeing what the twk will do you won’t care, I have multiple setups in switch to for for older music.

Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

I posted the link above for you, bascally you modify the harness and add RCAs to the grey, white, purple and green wires, used the blue for remote turn on. These all plug direct into you TWK-88, next you need to flash the bus to set line level outs and flatten the signal. I also cut the brown, black and yellow wires and taped them up good. I believe the black was ground, yellow was power for the old amp, brown for the Cann bus, all of which are not needed.

Used the forscan app and flashed my radio with these codes.

727-01-01 xx5A xxxx xxxx
727-01-02 00xx

Next I ran 9 wire from amp up to grey and brown connectors and ran line directly to rears.
Hope that makes sense.

Sounds phenomenal, only downside is twk has not Bluetooth connection but after seeing what the twk will do you won’t care, I have multiple setups in switch to for for older music.
^Solid advice here.

I didn’t do the forescan changes, instead rely upon a JL fix82 to flatten the signal and that goes to the dsp by toslink for the additional processing.

There are a handful of dsp’s that do have Bluetooth input. I simply Bluetooth through the factory deck and it sounds great. The best part is I can still use the hands free calling through the car.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I don't mind losing bluetooth control. I don't plan on messing with it constantly, just switching to a few different eq's for different music genres. Appreciate the info, really helps.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I also have a FIX 86. Can I avoid splicing into RCAs by plugging the maestro harness into the FIX?

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I don't mind losing bluetooth control. I don't plan on messing with it constantly, just switching to a few different eq's for different music genres. Appreciate the info, really helps.
You won’t lose Bluetooth with just the dsp. What I was referring to was something like this https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/accessories/hec-bt-dsp.2/dsp.3 where you stream directly to the DSP, bypassing the head unit entirely. I’m not sure how hands free would work with there.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Gotcha. I thought you were referring to the Bluetooth app of the DSR1 that sets it up.

Sponsored

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
^Solid advice here.

I didn’t do the forescan changes, instead rely upon a JL fix82 to flatten the signal and that goes to the dsp by toslink for the additional processing.

There are a handful of dsp’s that do have Bluetooth input. I simply Bluetooth through the factory deck and it sounds great. The best part is I can still use the hands free calling through the car.
Correct doing this you lose nothing at all, Bluetooth works just as it did before, phone, steering controls, fader, everything still works, you just cannot Bluetooth to the twk, if I had to do all over again I would have went with the VXi series amp. The fix-82 is an option, I chose to spend 10 bucks on a forscan license as opposed to 400 for another box I didn’t need. The RCA I spliced was crutchfieild premium cable I un-screwed the ends cut the wire and soldered 8 splices. I should have taken a picture.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is anyone having issues with a DSR1 install or functions AFTER updating to the most recent firmware?

Thestangb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ayham Kutit
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
I just installed the AR-FO3 harness two weeks ago. I originally ordered the DSR1, but after realizing that the AR-F03 hardness doesn't allow you to keep the factory amp (I was only interested in adding a sub/amp in the back with clean line level inputs), I went with a Kenwood XR600-6DSP instead of the DSR1. It's a 75w x 6 channel amp & DSP combo that works with the Maestro AR. I ordered a refurbished model for $500 (cheaper than a DSR1 & amp). The only downside here is the Meastro AR is not built into the Kenwood, you have to purchase it separately.

When I installed the harness, the videos that I watched led me to think that the tweeter and mid-range speakers were Y'd to the same LF/RF TWEETER outputs of the harness and were split somewhere behind the door inside the factory wire loom (possibly with a bass blocker on the tweeter). And the 'woofers' in the door were actually the wires labeled LF/RF SPEAKER on the harness.

Back to your question: since the Kenwood has 6 channels, I'm able to use all of my front speakers except the center channel. For you, since you may only have a 4 channel amp, you could wire all of the front speakers, minus center, to just two channels like you're thinking and run the rears on the other two channels. The only issue here is you won't have individual control over the tweeter/mid & woofer front speakers. I had to reduce the volume on the tweeters/mids by 1DB, they were way too hot compared to the front woofers. Snares and midrange sounds were very sharp and annoying before doing that.

Regarding the center channel: missing it hasn't made that much of a difference. You can bring back most of the center sound stage via the DSP timing settings. I think it simulates a type of surround and brings the sound back into the cabin as opposed to hearing the sound coming from the speakers. That's exactly what it sounded like before I fixed all of the timing. I could hear the sound coming from each individual speaker and it sounded terrible. After dialing in the settings, you feel like you're immersed in the sound again, much like the factory setup, just MUCH louder.
I picked up the same stuff, can you please let me know if you used the Kenwood for your 9 speakers? I'm reading the ADS forum and it seems that this amp doesn't support the S550.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
As the Kenwood only has 6 amplified outputs (plus 2 processed outputs) you can use it. Only thing it does not support is rear channels, so no fading capability according to Maestro support.

Thestangb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ayham Kutit
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
As the Kenwood only has 6 amplified outputs (plus 2 processed outputs) you can use it. Only thing it does not support is rear channels, so no fading capability according to Maestro support.
I got the amp for $320, you think it's worth paying the extra money for the Audison?
Sponsored