Sponsored

Has anyone installed a Rockford Fosgate DSR1?

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
Bump -

How’s it going for the DSR1 users - easy to work with for upgrading behind stock and using Line Out converters?

I'm not sure you'd need a DSR1 if you're using LOCs. This is assuming you have the non-premium factory sound system. The non-premium system doesn't have a separate amplifier under the kick-panel, so if you're just tapping into the speaker wire with LOCs, running to your own amp, then out to the speakers again you wouldn't need any additional modifications to keep all the controls and whatnot.

The DSR1 comes in when you pull out the factory amp from the premium sound system. The wire harnesses connect directly to the head unit (which puts out line level), then the DSR1 emulates the factory amp as far as the car is concerned while giving you all the RCA outs and signal processing and whatnot.
Sponsored

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
Have they fixed the noise floor issues that plagued the unit when it first came out? I was planning on using one in my 14 RAM, but everyone was complaining of noise from the unit, and sketchy bluetooth connectivity. But that was a few years ago.

chuxdelux

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT premium
Does any have install pics? I haven't gotten around to installing my DSR1 yet.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Have they fixed the noise floor issues that plagued the unit when it first came out? I was planning on using one in my 14 RAM, but everyone was complaining of noise from the unit, and sketchy bluetooth connectivity. But that was a few years ago.
I'm curious about this as well. Any of you early adopters have any issues with noise? Thank you.

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I should have included the T-harness link - so according to Crutchfield, there is a plug-n-play T-harness to be used with the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 or the iDatalink Maestro AR module for the 2015-2018 Mustangs:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HARFO3/iDatalink-HRN-AR-FO3-Harness.html
Yes, there is a vehicle-specific harness for this that works with 2015+ Mustangs now.
Has anyone confirmed that this T-harness works for premium cars by actually installing it? There are other T-harnesses available that work for non-premium cars, but aside from custom-built harnesses by Hextall, I haven't seen many options for the premium 9-speaker setups.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Go to DIYMobileAudio.com and look up the thread on it. Apparently not that great.

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Go to DIYMobileAudio.com and look up the thread on it. Apparently not that great.
I'm more interested in the T-harness than the DSR1. Wondering if its connectors can be removed and wires run into a different DSP.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm more interested in the T-harness than the DSR1. Wondering if its connectors can be removed and wires run into a different DSP.
I don’t see why not? It’s a jumper harness made to plug into the factory component and tees off to plug into “x”. So I’m sure it could be used and that other end modified to go into whatever as long as you have the wire schematic or mapping of each wire function.

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I picked up these from Crutchfield, they arrived today, I will be installing over the weekend, I will let you know how it goes.
  • Rockford Fosgate DSR1
  • iDatalink HRN-AR-FO3 Harness

Question : fronts and front tweeters have there own wires, one set goes to tweets, other set goes to mids and bass in front doors, wondering how did everyone else wired these from the amp? Did you put both on the same line channel from the amp?

Last edited:

Sponsored

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I picked up these from Crutchfield, they arrived today, I will be installing over the weekend, I will let you know how it goes.
  • Rockford Fosgate DSR1
  • iDatalink HRN-AR-FO3 Harness

Question : fronts and front tweeters have there own wires, one set goes to tweets, other set goes to mids and bass in front doors, wondering how did everyone else wired these from the amp? Did you put both on the same line channel from the amp?
I just installed the AR-FO3 harness two weeks ago. I originally ordered the DSR1, but after realizing that the AR-F03 hardness doesn't allow you to keep the factory amp (I was only interested in adding a sub/amp in the back with clean line level inputs), I went with a Kenwood XR600-6DSP instead of the DSR1. It's a 75w x 6 channel amp & DSP combo that works with the Maestro AR. I ordered a refurbished model for $500 (cheaper than a DSR1 & amp). The only downside here is the Meastro AR is not built into the Kenwood, you have to purchase it separately.

When I installed the harness, the videos that I watched led me to think that the tweeter and mid-range speakers were Y'd to the same LF/RF TWEETER outputs of the harness and were split somewhere behind the door inside the factory wire loom (possibly with a bass blocker on the tweeter). And the 'woofers' in the door were actually the wires labeled LF/RF SPEAKER on the harness.

Back to your question: since the Kenwood has 6 channels, I'm able to use all of my front speakers except the center channel. For you, since you may only have a 4 channel amp, you could wire all of the front speakers, minus center, to just two channels like you're thinking and run the rears on the other two channels. The only issue here is you won't have individual control over the tweeter/mid & woofer front speakers. I had to reduce the volume on the tweeters/mids by 1DB, they were way too hot compared to the front woofers. Snares and midrange sounds were very sharp and annoying before doing that.

Regarding the center channel: missing it hasn't made that much of a difference. You can bring back most of the center sound stage via the DSP timing settings. I think it simulates a type of surround and brings the sound back into the cabin as opposed to hearing the sound coming from the speakers. That's exactly what it sounded like before I fixed all of the timing. I could hear the sound coming from each individual speaker and it sounded terrible. After dialing in the settings, you feel like you're immersed in the sound again, much like the factory setup, just MUCH louder.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Can you still hear navigation and voice commands if you remove the center speaker? Mine is still in, and because I still use the head unit, despite DSP amps, and new speakers, the head unit serves as a volume control still, which turns up the center....balancing the main sound with the center is just an extra step.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Can you still hear navigation and voice commands if you remove the center speaker? Mine is still in, and because I still use the head unit, despite DSP amps, and new speakers, the head unit serves as a volume control still, which turns up the center....balancing the main sound with the center is just an extra step.
Short answer is yes. No more center channel in mine and still have all functionality.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
When you flash the DSR1 with the Mustang specific firmware for the HRN-AR-FO3 harness, what does it show in the device info for the Maestro part, i.e. firmware version and stuff? When i flash mine with the weblink updater it still shows universal firmware afterwards and with universal the pinout on the input connector of the harness to the DSR1 is wrong as the rear channels are then pinned to the rear input and fronts to the AUX input.
Sponsored