Sponsored

Has anyone installed a Rockford Fosgate DSR1?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I saw this on Crutchfield’s site for the S550:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575DSR1/Rockford-Fosgate-DSR1.html

And here’s the install docs:
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170926101900/Manuals/575/575DSR1.PDF

I was just wondering if anyone has installed this unit and if so, how did it work out? Does it allow for addition of subs to a non-sub vehicle?

It seems like it allows addition of amps and subs, but I’m not 100% certain because I’m not familiar with the newer vehicle systems and aftermarket components.
Sponsored

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I saw this on Crutchfield’s site for the S550:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575DSR1/Rockford-Fosgate-DSR1.html

And here’s the install docs:
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170926101900/Manuals/575/575DSR1.PDF

I was just wondering if anyone has installed this unit and if so, how did it work out? Does it allow for addition of subs to a non-sub vehicle?

It seems like it allows addition of amps and subs, but I’m not 100% certain because I’m not familiar with the newer vehicle systems and aftermarket components.
I have this installed in my 2018 GT. I hope I understand your question correctly. This unit is designed to take an input source and give you great control over the 8 channels of output. It can use high (speaker level) or low level (rca) inputs. There are many options on what configuration you use. I use the car's front left/right pre-amp (low level) as my input. I then use channels 1-6 (tweets, 3's, 6.5's) and channels 7-8 (12" sub channel) to feed two amplifiers. The only thing I don't like is that it ties channels 7&8 together. But I replaced all factory speakers (not the center channel speaker or rear deck speakers). I run just the tweets, 3's, 6.5's and 1 12" subwoofer. Sounds amazing! Hit me up if you have more questions.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I have this installed in my 2018 GT. I hope I understand your question correctly. This unit is designed to take an input source and give you great control over the 8 channels of output. It can use high (speaker level) or low level (rca) inputs. There are many options on what configuration you use. I use the car's front left/right pre-amp (low level) as my input. I then use channels 1-6 (tweets, 3's, 6.5's) and channels 7-8 (12" sub channel) to feed two amplifiers. The only thing I don't like is that it ties channels 7&8 together. But I replaced all factory speakers (not the center channel speaker or rear deck speakers). I run just the tweets, 3's, 6.5's and 1 12" subwoofer. Sounds amazing! Hit me up if you have more questions.
Sent a PM

rrozell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
Any benefit over using a AudioControl LC8i? Sounds like it is doing the same thing (Digital processor)

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Would this work to use as a sort of equalizer for the factory system? I just want clearer highs and mids. I have the Shaker w sub. So if I’m not planning on replacing speakers anytime soon, will this help the factory system sound better?

Last edited:

Sponsored

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
My understanding is that this connects to all the factory harnesses and maintains all the factory controls/connectivity/features/functionality of the car while providing 8 channels of full-range RCA output so that you can add aftermarket amplifiers. You have to download vehicle specific firmware to the device, but once you do it recognizes everything normally coming off the CAN bus that controls the infotainment system.

Looks like a really killer device. I wish this thing had been around a year ago when I was building my system, I 100% would have gone this route in a heartbeat.

The only thing I can't figure out about it is if it's required to keep your factory amp in place, or if you just connect it to the factory amp harness.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
My understanding is that this connects to all the factory harnesses and maintains all the factory controls/connectivity/features/functionality of the car while providing 8 channels of full-range RCA output so that you can add aftermarket amplifiers. You have to download vehicle specific firmware to the device, but once you do it recognizes everything normally coming off the CAN bus that controls the infotainment system.

Looks like a really killer device. I wish this thing had been around a year ago when I was building my system, I 100% would have gone this route in a heartbeat.

The only thing I can't figure out about it is if it's required to keep your factory amp in place, or if you just connect it to the factory amp harness.
I wish I had known about this last year too. I don't want to cut wires and this looks like the best solution for dealing with the factory amp/processor. I did some digging about the install of one of these and it is required to use the DSR1 in place of the factory amp. As stated it will perform all of the functions of the stock amp except power, which must come from an aftermarket amplifier. I drug my feet on using the LCQ1 I bought while I tried to make my own harnesses to get speaker out/in without disturbing the other processor functions of the stock amp. This looks to be a very clean simple way to get the stereo upgraded without hassle.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply!

So coming from you, since you have some experience with the unit and have it installed,led:

1) How was the install - is it truly plug-n-play with no need for wire cuts or splices? Presuming you did purchase the vehicle specific “T-connector harness” that is needed for the DSR1?

2) As others have asked, which I was not sure of by reading the Crutchfield docs or user manual, does it replace the factory amp?

3) I’ve also read many online user reviews via googling - some users seem to have issues with the firmware downloads - which mind you, these reviews were for many different types of year/make/models - so can you give us any insight as to your experience with the firmware process for the S550? Any issues or tips? I also put some of those reviews to the back burner and take them with a grain of salt because some folks just don’t know how to do firmware updates properly.

4) Did your vehcile initially have a sub? If not, was it rather easy to add one after the install of the DSR1?

Thanks for any additional info or tips you can provide, because for what it seems to offer, it looks like a more viable choice over some of the other aftermarket LOCs.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for the reply!

So coming from you, since you have some experience with the unit and have it installed,led:

1) How was the install - is it truly plug-n-play with no need for wire cuts or splices? Presuming you did purchase the vehicle specific “T-connector harness” that is needed for the DSR1?

2) As others have asked, which I was not sure of by reading the Crutchfield docs or user manual, does it replace the factory amp?

3) I’ve also read many online user reviews via googling - some users seem to have issues with the firmware downloads - which mind you, these reviews were for many different types of year/make/models - so can you give us any insight as to your experience with the firmware process for the S550? Any issues or tips? I also put some of those reviews to the back burner and take them with a grain of salt because some folks just don’t know how to do firmware updates properly.

4) Did your vehcile initially have a sub? If not, was it rather easy to add one after the install of the DSR1?

Thanks for any additional info or tips you can provide, because for what it seems to offer, it looks like a more viable choice over some of the other aftermarket LOCs.
1) I would recommend getting a premade harness to avoid cutting/splicing wires. The wires I tapped into were very very thin. :(

2) In my setup, I completely bypassed (disconnected) the factory amplifier.

3) I actually worked with Rockford Fosgate Technical Support with mine. The 3 things to take away from that are 1...update both the DSR1 firmware and Integrated iDatalink Maestro Module. 2...power the unit with a 12v power source through the provided harness (not via the usb connector). 3... make sure your phone's location service is on! You won't be able to connect to the DSR1 via Bluetooth without it on. :)

4) My GT had the 9 speaker system (no sub). I initially used a sub box with a built in power amp. It is relatively easy to install, but I wanted better sound. If you have the DSR1 installed, adding a Sub is as easy has getting power to your sub and running an RCA cable from the DSR1 to your Sub or amp input. :)

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Any benefit over using a AudioControl LC8i? Sounds like it is doing the same thing (Digital processor)
Correct. Most DSPs like this work the same way. Pick the one that has the functionality you want. I picked the DSR1 for its functionality and low cost.

Sponsored

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Would this work to use as a sort of equalizer for the factory system? I just want clearer highs and mids. I have the Shaker w sub. So if I’m not planning on replacing speakers anytime soon, will this help the factory system sound better?
Not really, I'm afraid. The stock amplifier has some time alignment and other built in processing. The car's center channel is actually created by the factory amplifier.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

At the time I did mine, it was too new and a harness wasn't available. There may be one now. The DSR1 allows you to replace your factory amplifier.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
Yes, there is a vehicle-specific harness for this that works with 2015+ Mustangs now.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump -

How’s it going for the DSR1 users - easy to work with for upgrading behind stock and using Line Out converters?
Sponsored