Has anyone installed a keypad?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
An alternative and much cheaper idea would be for you to buy a wrist or arm sleeve with a storage pocket. I have one and can carry cash, cards, or a key fob. Just an idea.
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Volvo has a neat USB thumb drive looking key for all their new Volvo's that is a hell of a lot more convenient than their key fob. Ford should look into something like that.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
seems sketchy and if the car is stolen i think insurance can deny claim if you left your key in the car.. i believe same police will even charge you.
If car was locked and broken into, they won't be denying a claim.

Police will charge me? LOL. For what exactly?

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium

Insurance fraud, possibly.

Sponsored

Acehole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
various stages of crap
Like I said, keypads are old school. Plus, what happens when you have a dead battery? You're screwed.

If I was to put a locking technology in a car, I'd go fingerprint, iris, or voice recognition technology. Those are fairly secure. Plus nobody expects those on a car.
What do you do when the battery goes dead now when you lock the keys in the car? :) you access the hidden manual lock behind the door handle extension. Keypad Entry is awesome and I do love it and like others said in the latest form it is in the a pillar of the door and not even noticeable unless you wake it up. Granted the touch system on the new cars is alot handier (unless you wash your car with the fob in your pocket and watch it unlock/lock like a maniac like I did the first time). And in the end its just a mustang if someone wants it bad enough they are going to take it or figure out a way into it.

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
I'd love a keypad on my car, I use it all the time on my F150. I did leave the parking lights on once, drained the battery down all the way. But it was in my barn, parked next to my little tractor, within booster cable reach. I did have to go get my spare key to unlock the door. I need to get another key cut, place it in a magnetic box and stick it somewhere, just in case.

I'd really like a smaller, thinner fob, with no buttons.

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Talked to the guys from iDataLink, at SEMA. They are shooting for a few more months and they will have an interface for the S550's. At least then you could size down to just carrying your smartphone. I use their interface in my '14 and it works awesome ( Not to mention, adding GPS tracking to your car ). And for the people that think the end of the world is coming, the device will send you a notification when the battery voltage is low..... then you can unlock your car from the app.

Secondly, if you're a runner... get you a set of Kangaroos. like I had in the 80's. Stuff your laser cut key in one of those nifty pouches.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Not insurance fraud or a crime, but your insurance 100% can come after you for what they have to pay out to repair/replace the car; subrogation.

They will sue and say you were negligent and they shouldn't have to cover your negligence; and but for you leaving the keys in the car the car would've never been driven off as you cannot start a modern car without a key.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Not insurance fraud or a crime, but your insurance 100% can come after you for what they have to pay out to repair/replace the car; subrogation.

They will sue and say you were negligent and they shouldn't have to cover your negligence; and but for you leaving the keys in the car the car would've never been driven off as you cannot start a modern car without a key.

Complete and utter BS. In my case car would be locked with code. with fob locked in glove compartment. Blade key for glove hidden someplace. If car is broken into and stolen, it's covered. Unless there is a clause in my policy stating this scenario would be excluded from coverage. And there won't be one guaranteed.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Wow, this thread went a different direction than expected. Have not tested to see if the car will stay locked with the keys inside.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I too would like a key pad just like the O.P. It's nice to go for a run, beach, etc and not have to bring a key that might loose.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I too would like a key pad just like the O.P. It's nice to go for a run, beach, etc and not have to bring a key that might loose.
wear a bum bag, that is what i do when i go running, keys and phone,
sorted
:D

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wear a bum bag, that is what i do when i go running, keys and phone,
sorted
:D
LOL. I run with a skinny cut blade key that I can't even feel in my pocket while running. My huge fob locked in the glove with my phone etc. I have no push button start on my vw. Just lock the door with blade key.

That's all I carry while I run. That skinny small cut key. I run 40-50 miles per week and I'm always going to travel light. I've never run with a phone in my life and never plan to.

I'll never buy a car if it doesn't allow me to have the same key set up I have now for running. Would love a 5.0 but not if I'm running daily with some big fob attached to me.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
That's all I carry while I run. That skinny small cut key. I run 40-50 miles per week and I'm always going to travel light. I've never run with a phone in my life and never plan to.
I
So you run without any communication on you? what happens if you pull a muscle or something, should always have communication with you,
even more so in this day and age
don't you have music on :D
as for the key, the blade key fits down your sock :headbang:
Sponsored