Sponsored

Has anyone combined an H-pipe with an axle-back? Did you regret it?

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I love the way my mustang sounds. It was a bit stifled from stock but modifying it with a Roush axle-back exhaust really unlocked that delicious V8 burble at idle and the ragged cackling roar when you dump it. Now I'm considering changing out the resonator for an H-pipe to amplify that gnarly muscle car sound. However, I'm concerned it'll be too loud on a cold start and I'd very much value the perspective of an owner who's already done it.

I have stock cats, stock headers and a Roush TVS 727 supercharger but I don't think Roots-style superchargers add much volume at engine start. It only really howls when you give it the beans.
Sponsored

CanadaCalvin88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the Roush axle back paired with a Steeda H-pipe on my '15 GT and am happy with it. Cold starts are loud, but not crazy. Cruising around, the exhaust is manageable, but when you stab that throttle, it screams!

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I've run the Roush exhaust with both X pipe and H pipe - PM sent

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
Steeda H pipe and FRPP by Borla Extreme here. Love the sound I get from this set up. Sure its loud, but not obnoxious.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Cold starts will be super obnoxious, but you'll have good volume driving normally around town

Sponsored

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
A lot of people go that route and for NA builds it’s probably fine, but if you plan on ever going long tubes or forced induction, you are better off with a full 3” cat back as the axle back exhausts neck down to 2 1/4” where they connect to the mid pipes.

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
Had the steeda H pipe with their axle backs on my 19 GT It was amazing! Just the h pipe with stock mufflers sounded good!

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Thanks for this, chaps. The consensus does seem to be 'louder but not excessively so'. Not clear if the answers I'm getting here though relate to axle-back and H-pipe vs stock or axle-back and H-pipe vs axle-back only. What I'm really interested in is how much of a difference a resonator delete makes in terms of volume as my current exhaust, while loud, is tolerable to my neighbours.

A lot of people go that route and for NA builds it’s probably fine, but if you plan on ever going long tubes or forced induction, you are better off with a full 3” cat back as the axle back exhausts neck down to 2 1/4” where they connect to the mid pipes.
That's interesting; I didn't know that. I've already got forced induction so this might be a relevant factor. Presumably a less constrictive exhaust would have the dual effect of better scavenging but (conversely) slower velocity? No doubt that'd give it a throatier sound but wouldn't it also be louder?

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
Thanks for this, chaps. The consensus does seem to be 'louder but not excessively so'. Not clear if the answers I'm getting here though relate to axle-back and H-pipe vs stock or axle-back and H-pipe vs axle-back only. What I'm really interested in is how much of a difference a resonator delete makes in terms of volume as my current exhaust, while loud, is tolerable to my neighbours.

That's interesting; I didn't know that. I've already got forced induction so this might be a relevant factor. Presumably a less constrictive exhaust would have the dual effect of better scavenging but (conversely) slower velocity? No doubt that'd give it a throatier sound but wouldn't it also be louder?
Maybe a little, I’ve got a Gen 5 Whipple, aaRH ceramic coated long tubes and Magnaflow full 3” cat back and I’m very happy with the sound.

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Maybe a little, I’ve got a Gen 5 Whipple, aaRH ceramic coated long tubes and Magnaflow full 3” cat back and I’m very happy with the sound.
Ok, thanks. I think I might be going a little too far down the rabbit hole here though. I'm not currently prepared to overhaul my exhaust system so comprehensively. I'm very happy with my exhaust note as it stands and just want to tweak it a little bit with an H-pipe. It sounds like you've taken yours in a different direction.

Sponsored

CanadaCalvin88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ok, thanks. I think I might be going a little too far down the rabbit hole here though. I'm not currently prepared to overhaul my exhaust system so comprehensively. I'm very happy with my exhaust note as it stands and just want to tweak it a little bit with an H-pipe. It sounds like you've taken yours in a different direction.
I was in the same boat as you. I was happy with just the Roush axle back, but wanted just a little more out of it. With the Steeda h-pipe, you can always reverse the mod. Give it a try, if it's too loud for you, reinstall the stock resonator. I think you will be happy with it though and leave it on đź‘Ť.

Randy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt convertible
I have the rough h pipe and the Borla touring axel back. It’s pretty quiet until you don’t want it to be. It sounds awesome.

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I have the rough h pipe and the Borla touring axel back. It’s pretty quiet until you don’t want it to be. It sounds awesome.
Thanks, buddy. After weighing the opinions here I've decided to go for it. Should arrive tomorrow.

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Not on an S550, but I ran an H-pipe with set of Flowmaster axle backs on an SN95 (94 MY), and it was loud, very very loud. I also ran an H-pipe on an S197 (2012MY), with a Roush axle back and it was perfect. I am running an X pipe on the Ford AE on my S550 and now that I am older, I am enjoying the quiet when I want it, and the loud too!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, buddy. After weighing the opinions here I've decided to go for it. Should arrive tomorrow.
Save your stock midpipe, you're going to want it back. Roush AB plus X/H pipes are well known to be extremely loud.
Sponsored