Sponsored

Harsh ride?

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
Hi. I am swapping my 235/50/18 set up for 255 / 40/19 . Can I expect a more harsher ride in my EcoBoost on the NJ roads. Thanks
Sponsored

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
That shouldn't be too bad. That is the size I run on my winter (stock) wheels. I about damn near lost my mind driving home on the parkway last night from LBI. My summer tires are 35 series and the roads are horrible this year.

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
I am curious too tommyd . I am planning on changing from the 235x50x18s to 275x40x19s and 255's in the front. I have up until now convinced my self that the shorter or less sidewall results in the the most transmission of bumps to the suspension, and opposition to deflection. Perhaps the equalizing factor is the overall profile. The 275's are taller by dynamics but sidewall height is reduced by the 40% factor making outside diameter's nearly equal in both 19's and 18's. Possibly both size tires have very similar sidewall heights. The other factor for me is the different tire manufacturers My stock are Pirelli Zero's and the tire's in question are Michelin Pilot sport 4s.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The answer is yes, for will the ride be harshER.
But depending on you, and your local roads, you might not even notice the difference (it might not be harsh).

Contributors to a harsher ride:
shorter side wall
stiffer side wall of more performance oriented tires verses less performance oriented tires
heavier wheel & tire package

Obviously at least one of those will apply to you.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
Just an FYI and take it for what its worth. My car came factory with 255/40/19 Pirellis. I just recently changed to a 255/35/20 and 285/30/20 set up. But the tires are Michelin AS3+. The ride actually improved. So in my case a shorter sidewall actually improved harshness. Go figure

Don

Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
Just an FYI and take it for what its worth. My car came factory with 255/40/19 Pirellis. I just recently changed to a 255/35/20 and 285/30/20 set up. But the tires are Michelin AS3+. The ride actually improved. So in my case a shorter sidewall actually improved harshness. Go figure

Don
I am hoping the Michelin brand is the difference. I have always considered the Mic's the best for ride. Getting ready to install the 275 Mic Pilot S4's and hoping they ride quieter and smoother. The performance of the 4's I am already sold on.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I too have the OEM 255/40 19 setup for winter wheels. Canā€™t say I find them too bad but this is a very subjective area. i will say the OEM Pirelli is a bad tire for its price including comfort.

Assuming you stay with a performance A/S, a lot of people here seem pretty happy with continental DWS 06 which has a softer sidewall than the Michelin A/S 3 and competitors. That may or may not translate to improved comfort but worth considering in tire rack reviews etc. Everything with tires is a trade though and it depends what you use the car for and what you want out of it. There are certainly more comfortable touring A/S in that size for example but youā€™ll lose dry grip noticeably.

My summer 285/35 feel better even with a stiffer sidewall I believe due to the lighter wheel and the corresponding improvements in suspension control. Like most things, it dependsšŸ™ƒ
Sponsored