Sponsored

Hard time getting oil in Germany

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Really not that difficult (or dramatic). Listed four ways to get Motorcraft or Motul 5/50 in Germany, 3 via the PX and one via APO. It is legal via APO--not new at this gig. Ordered twice within the last two months to stock up and talked to the post office beforehand to make sure. Did an oil change today (3rd one), and will be ordering some more via Optimum in the next week or so to maintain the stock. To each his own. Remaining stocks below:

stocks.jpg

stocks 2.jpg
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ordered transmission fluid and antifreeze as well. Haven't been able to find diff oil, but that'll be next.

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
You may have gotten it in the past, but I know that there is a lot more scrutiny going on. You can thank Samsung and their exploding lithium batteries that those and much more are getting flagged as hazardous materials.
A buddy of mine just ordered a case of Amsoil to his APO. I guess we will see if it gets here.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Orange_voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Competition Orange
I could not find the proper oil as well in germany and ordered Mobil 1 peak life 5w 50. I changed the oil last week but it should be good we use this oil in all our performance cars and never had a problem.:cheers:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maruti Omni
I could not find the proper oil as well in germany and ordered Mobil 1 peak life 5w 50. I changed the oil last week but it should be good we use this oil in all our performance cars and never had a problem.:cheers:
The OP should've named this thread "Hard time finding oil in Germany for US military personnel at US prices" because, as I mentioned yesterday, a quick Google search for "motorcraft 5w-50 site:.de" will show you that the oil is available from ATO24.

So, how hard did you look for the MC 5w-50?

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The OP should've named this thread "Hard time finding oil in Germany for US military personnel at US prices" because, as I mentioned yesterday, a quick Google search for "motorcraft 5w-50 site:.de" will show you that the oil is available from ATO24.

So, how hard did you look for the MC 5w-50?

Your input has been noted

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Actually, the challenge seems to be making a decision. Two PXs get it at US prices and Optimum Performance sells at a low enough price that it's still competitive with shipping--that's Motorcraft. If you buy Motul or any other available brand out in town you can use a VAT form and drop the price by 19%. So, the difference is negligible and part of owning a unique performance car.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the challenge seems to be making a decision. Two PXs get it at US prices and Optimum Performance sells at a low enough price that it's still competitive with shipping--that's Motorcraft. If you buy Motul or any other available brand out in town you can use a VAT form and drop the price by 19%. So, the difference is negligible and part of owning a unique performance car.
I kind of wish that Ramstien would stock oil like Stuttgart, we have plenty of 5w-30, but not the 5w-50. I bought all 6 quarts of the Edge that Ramstien had on hand. You stated that I should not use Edge in the Shelby. Which I am really considering that if I cant get something else. At Ramstien 2 separate employees said they could not order motor oil. My next step is to take it to management.

I work with Postal Inspectors and they said the there is a new push on prevent hazardous materiel in the MPS, at the port of entry. Lithium batteries were the cause, but perfumes and other hazardous materials have been pulled from packages. If you are still getting yours through the mail, then consider yourself lucky that it hasn't been noticed. I prefer not to chance losing a case of oil to postal inspectors.

19% VAT removal actually calculates to a 16% reduction. And since most motor oil is at least twice as expensive (exchange rate dependent); it is not negligible when you times it by 10. With a VAT form, it is still around an 84% markup.

I said before that I will try to press Ramstien to transfer oil from Stuttgart, I don't get there everyday since I don't work on Ramstien.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So I talked to a senior inspector who called even higher.

If the oil is shipped and is properly packaged so it doesn't get damaged and leak, it should make it to Germany. If it leaks it will not make it here.

So not that opens up to what is the best 5w-50 available. I need to look around before I order from Optimum Performance like you suggested.

Sponsored

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I love the Amsoil. Use it on everything I can. My old Subaru STI, Harley, Boss 302... It meets Ford specs for warranty and they ship fast and properly packaged. They normally throw a bunch of the cardboard scrap stuff in for any leaks. I actually had quart spring a leak after it was crushed and it wasn't noticed. I just ended up with half a quart in that bottle, the rest was absorbed. They also provide the proper Hazardous material paperwork. With discount, it ends up being under 100 bucks for a case of 5W-50.

So I talked to a senior inspector who called even higher.

If the oil is shipped and is properly packaged so it doesn't get damaged and leak, it should make it to Germany. If it leaks it will not make it here.

So not that opens up to what is the best 5w-50 available. I need to look around before I order from Optimum Performance like you suggested.
Sponsored