Sponsored

Hard Core Winter Driving.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Blizzaks on mine. I work in Healthcare so I have to go to work even in a blizzard. Last week we got hit with 20+inchs of snow in a shot period of time. Maybe 3 or 4 hours. It was brutal. So much snow in that short period of time that the roads where not plowed. No way my Mustang would of made it, to low to the ground. Thankfully I drove my wifes Subaru that day and even that car got stuck at one point UGGH.

Any who, most of the time the Mustang is good with the Blizzaks. Next year I'm getting a 4 wheel drive truck. Like I say, I work in Healthcare and I have to go in. Hate that. I will drive the Mustang everyday except on those brutal days. Few inches ain't nothing with good snow tires. I need a truck anyways for the dog and going to Home depot etc.etc

Here's what the working parking lot looks like this morning
IMG_8267.jpg
Sponsored

DJH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Before we moved to Texas a few years ago, we lived in New Hampshire. I used my RWD G35 as my daily driver and always had fun in the snow. Here’s an old photo from the office after a little snowfall.

Wish the BOLLOX license plate had been available here.

7067d5678c2c050c80ee932281f1ba41.jpg

Dave99GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang Convertible
Good snow tires on all four wheels, some bags of salt or sand in the trunk, and you will be fine in most snow conditions. As mentioned, if snow gets too deep, the low clearance can be an issue resulting in getting stuck. I have had several sets of Nokians over the years, they are great. Been daily driving our Mustangs since 1999, no problems going year round in snow.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
4 Blizzaks and about a hundred pounds in the trunk over the rear axle, and this is my second winter driving in Maine and eastern Canada. Just be smart, go easy on the accelerator, and it's better than most cars were 30 years ago.

No block heater in mine, usually parked in an unheated garage, and never any hesitation starting the engine.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Blizzaks on mine. I work in Healthcare so I have to go to work even in a blizzard. Last week we got hit with 20+inchs of snow in a shot period of time. Maybe 3 or 4 hours. It was brutal. So much snow in that short period of time that the roads where not plowed. No way my Mustang would of made it, to low to the ground. Thankfully I drove my wifes Subaru that day and even that car got stuck at one point UGGH.

Any who, most of the time the Mustang is good with the Blizzaks. Next year I'm getting a 4 wheel drive truck. Like I say, I work in Healthcare and I have to go in. Hate that. I will drive the Mustang everyday except on those brutal days. Few inches ain't nothing with good snow tires. I need a truck anyways for the dog and going to Home depot etc.etc

Here's what the working parking lot looks like this morning
Yep, I'm an ems pilot, when I have to go, I HAVE to go also. Thanks.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A block heater isn't needed, but I have had the GT act a little funny if it sits in -20F all day and it's started and left idling to warm up. I recommend just starting and driving away.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A block heater isn't needed, but I have had the GT act a little funny if it sits in -20F all day and it's started and left idling to warm up. I recommend just starting and driving away.
Stumbling?

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Years ago I totaled an 88 GT in the NJ snow. After that I bought another 88 GT AND an old Honda Accord that I drove when the WX was bad. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its been the third winter with mine and once you turn off advance trac, the car act well, sure it oversteer if you push it but that what makes it fun to drive! i run blizzak ws80 and no weight in the back. Imo you should learn the car with advancetrac at off and you will be really safe once you understand the physics of a rwd + snow/ice even at 60+mph :headbang:
That looks hard core!

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not that bad, rwd are stigmatized when it about winter driving. In the past a lot of cars were rwd so a lot of unskilled people had them (ie my mom should not drive rwd) , now rwd (cars, not trucks) are mostly driven by gearhead but the sigma persist that they are not good in winter.
The Expedition I drive is RWD only. No stability or whatever, certainly used to that. Ground clearance and rust are my two biggest worries I guess. Maybe starting..

Sponsored

RenegadeRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Been driving my '11 year round in Calgary since I bought it new in June of 2010. No issues, only stuck once Infront of the house hooning it up after a blizzard. Ran Pilot Aplins(awesome) then Kumhos(not so awesome). Going to try out the Nokians next, though that will be on a '18 with the auto and not the '11 with a stick and 3.73s.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also bought weatertech mats they are good but i have glued a 3'' leater strip on the front of them because when you move forward, the water pass above the lip. I call them to know why the lip in the front right corner is 1/2'' high, and they told it was because of seat clerance so they will not inmprove it. It's not that bad but when it have a lot of snow, after 5-6 time you enter in the car you have to empty the mats or it will pass over the lip.
Good tip, thanks.:cheers:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I highly doubt that the Si is any better in the snow than a Mustang with Blizzaks (nothing against the Honda). I'm currently driving a car similar to the Si, and my biggest issue is relatively high torque / weight of vehicle. On a slight, I need to creep to get moving or I'm going nowhere. With worn winter tires, I've been stuck in parking lots more times than I can count.

As mentioned - tires are everything. I used to try to get 3 full winters out of snow tires, but that 3rd winter can be downright dangerous if you're not careful.
Really what car do you drive? I'm on my 2nd Si as a daily. My first was an 08' with full suspension lowered about 1.5". That's the only problem I had in snow was clearance. Even then I drove in some serious snow with no issues using Goodyear Nordics(cheap Canadian tire brand) for 5 winters no issues. Commuting from Newmarket to Brampton backroads hardly plowed approx 70km one way.

The 12' is even better w/stock ride height and Xice i3s. both models have limited slip diffs. Never had any traction issues I highly doubt it's better than a Mustang in winter.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
First winter with a RWD V8 for me. Was pretty painless with winter tires, ran Blizzaks. Only complaint I have is that they could have been better in deeper snow but LM32s are not meant for that. We had a blizzard and about 6 inches of snow that got all caked up on the highway, car felt pretty floaty if I went over 45 MPH, whereas the rest of the traffic seemed to have less of an issue as they sped past me, in some cases going 60-70+.

That happened exactly twice this winter, so no big deal. Don't have a block heater, and car sat outside in the -20F days, just warmed it up a bit before driving (CHT to 100F+). Always started right up, drove fine, no issues to report. I did wash it a few times though through the coldest days because I wanted to get the underside clean of salt accumulation.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Really what car do you drive? I'm on my 2nd Si as a daily. My first was an 08' with full suspension lowered about 1.5". That's the only problem I had in snow was clearance. Even then I drove in some serious snow with no issues using Goodyear Nordics(cheap Canadian tire brand) for 5 winters no issues. Commuting from Newmarket to Brampton backroads hardly plowed approx 70km one way.

The 12' is even better w/stock ride height and Xice i3s. both models have limited slip diffs. Never had any traction issues I highly doubt it's better than a Mustang in winter.
Currently in a GTI. With good winter tires and on level terrain, it's a tank. I was running Dunlop Winter Sport tires for a 3rd winter last year, and the questionable tread depth made the car downright dangerous.

I wasn't trying to slam the Honda or the Mustang - my point was that the Mustang and Honda are actually probably equally good in the snow with quality winter tires.

Tires and a clear mind are everything.
Sponsored