Sponsored

Handling nannies not engaging

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
Twice now I've pulled out briskly onto a busy road and the car has spun out. When I say "briskly" I mean just that. A little bit of a hurry, but not putting the pedal to the floor. Both times road conditions were good. I have summer tires (performance pack) but it wasn't cold either day. The settings were all on normal.
Rather concerned that the nannies did nothing to control the spin. I had to let up on the gas and snap the wheel to straighten out the car.
Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: I should have been clearer. I bought the car on labor day weekend and it just did this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. This is something new.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brazenbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Twice now I've pulled out briskly onto a busy road and the car has spun out. When I say "briskly" I mean just that. A little bit of a hurry, but not putting the pedal to the floor. Both times road conditions were good. I have summer tires (performance pack) but it wasn't cold either day. The settings were all on normal.
Rather concerned that the nannies did nothing to control the spin. I had to let up on the gas and snap the wheel to straighten out the car.
Has anyone else experienced this?
It's the tires. My Ecoboost PP has 18K on it and now does the same thing. No racing or burnouts on the tires, they just don't have much grip now.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Summer tires even my all season P1s get a bit skiddy when below 50F.

OP
OP

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
It's the tires. My Ecoboost PP has 18K on it and now does the same thing. No racing or burnouts on the tires, they just don't have much grip now.
I only have 1500 miles on the car and have never done a burnout. If it were the tires causing the problem, shouldn't the electronics still sense the wheelspin and close the throttle/apply braking force to the rear tires, whatever is appropriate to get things back under control?
If I want the car to spin, I'll go to Sport mode. Shouldn't normal translate as "safe" when you have Sport and Track options available?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
IME the nannies will not save you from spinning out every time. It depends.

Before I put on the BMR cradle lockout on my car, it would spin out unpredictability at times. This part helped keep my subframe from moving and therefore made it more predictable in turns. The S550 IRS is good but it has some major weaknesses which has been pointed out on this forum.

It could be that your advancetrac is not working properly. Maybe a trip to the dealer? It's hard to say but I would point to driver mod or suspension mods may be needed.

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I can leave everything on and have a lot of fun in the rain... especially making u-turns. Not sure when this stuff is supposed to kick in, but it's definitely more laid back than other nannies I've experienced.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Until I bought and Installed the Steeda IRS braces/Supports/Diff bushings my car 15 GT PP would break loose in a scary unpredictable, and unctrollable way. I spun it out a few times and shoulda wrecked it, actually. Now its much more stable, composed and predictable.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Until I bought and Installed the Steeda IRS braces/Supports/Diff bushings my car 15 GT PP would break loose in a scary unpredictable, and unctrollable way. I spun it out a few times and shoulda wrecked it, actually. Now its much more stable, composed and predictable.
We appreciate the feedback & glad you are seeing the value in the parts.

Steeda is currently having a Black Friday Sale - plenty of savings to get anyone else situated.

www.steeda.com

Best Regards,

TJ

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I recently took my car to a skid pan and forgot to engage turn the ESC off on one of my runs. I was amazed at the slip angles the car would allow me to get away with in "normal" mode.
Have you made any modifications to the suspension on the car?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
FYI, I recently took my car to a skid pan and forgot to engage turn the ESC off on one of my runs. I was amazed at the slip angles the car would allow me to get away with in "normal" mode.
Have you made any modifications to the suspension on the car?
Not yet. Only mods so far are speakers. Don't see those affecting the nannies.
Although, now that I think about it, the H/U recently started acting up. It is sometimes completely unresponsive to the controls, shows as being off, but the FM radio is playing. Doesn't seem like one could affect the other, but what with the whole canbus communication, could the problems have a common source? Like maybe I think the nannies are set to normal, but the car thinks they're set to sport or track?

BlownStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Shadow Black
PZeros suck on the street. They need to be hot to work. Get rid of them.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I have never experienced a situation where l thought "the nannies" have kicked in for me either, unless the little dash (traction) light flashing counts...:lol:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I only have 1500 miles on the car and have never done a burnout. If it were the tires causing the problem, shouldn't the electronics still sense the wheelspin and close the throttle/apply braking force to the rear tires, whatever is appropriate to get things back under control?
If I want the car to spin, I'll go to Sport mode. Shouldn't normal translate as "safe" when you have Sport and Track options available?
Do not 100% rely on 'normal mode' to mean 'no wheelspin or tailhappiness is possible under any condition'. As good as their calibrations might be for most situations, their capabilities still come down to the amount of grip that exists at the contact patches, and it is possible for their limits to be at least temporarily overwhelmed. For a variety of reasons, summer performance tires being used in cooler weather perhaps being the most common. Even though the nannies can manage the amount of grip that does exist better than most drivers can, they cannot create grip where there is none, or generate more grip than what exists.

Right here is my main complaint against even having the nannies in the first place - people will (or in some cases already do) expect them to be flawless or faultless all the time at least in the more conservative driving modes (seemingly the case here - and no personal flame intended). My beef is with the way the nannies are being presented to us - flawlessness fully implied.

Mid_life - do I perhaps know you from a different forum under a username that starts out 'crj'? If so, congratulations on your new ride.

Norm
Sponsored