Sponsored

Had enough of aftermarket CAI & HIGH IAT's. So here's my fix.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda? As much as I love steeda.. not a fan of theirs. MAF signal is way to dirty for me :(
ANy other aftermarket close lid 'no tune' (which most seem to be) intake systems, looks purdy, but I'm not a fan of spending 300 bucks for a 5hp gain that a 50 buck K&N drop in filter can get on a stock airbox set up. Cheers.
Steeda now has four tune calibrations for our closed air box applications.

Currently, we have no high idle issues or hang-ups. Furthermore, the idle is very stable with our tunes.

Again, we do not recommend this for flex-fuel applications at this time. Customers are recognizing the benefits of cooler air intake temps and the ram air volume effect of this kit at speed!

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
It definitely plays a role inside a hot engine bay!

That fiberglass tape wouldn't work. Think fiberglass batt insulation similar to what is in your house walls. Something like: https://fiberglasspipeinsulation.com/fiberglass-pipe-insulation-1-2-thickness/
That is for pipe, so you'd have to figure out how to make it work on a curved intake tube. Then, wrap the gold tape around that, or really, apply it on any surface of the intake that faces a hot item with a direct line of sight that will radiate heat to the intake tube. The gold tape isn't really needed for parts of the tube that faces cooler items, like the hood or fender, for example. The hood or fender don't really radiate heat to the intake tube. It may be easier to simply wrap the entire thing, though, that is really up to you. Make sure the entire thing is sealed with the insulation, and you'd have a good system.

Fun fact: Water will freeze outside on a clear night when exposed to the sky at temperatures somewhat above 32 degrees F. This is because, even though it may be 34 deg F outside, space is much, much colder, and therefore, the surface of the water, even at say, 34 deg F, will radiate some heat to space, thus, making the water temperature colder than the air temperature, causing it to freeze.
maybe a few layers of this then: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010408-Self-Adhesive-Reflective/dp/B000E283S0/

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At a quick glance, that appears to only be heat reflective tape - good for the radiant heat. They use terms like "thermal insulating" and "heat barrier". Those may be true when it comes to radiant heat, but I don't see anything that would stop conduction with any significant amount.
the material under the foil part is fiberglass. it's a thin layer, maybe 5mm. i know because i used to have my intake wrapped in it and it's definitely a lot thicker than the gold tape

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Science lesson time
Believe it or not NASA uses just spray-on foam & cork to protect/insulate minus 423 degrees Fahrenheit to more than 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Since I don't wanna use foam/cork, My boeing buddy said a role of 3.32 thick NOMEX felt tape should do the trick. Operating temps are around 400*f.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
has anybody removed the rear weatherstripping under the hood and seen any positive or negative effects? still looking for ways to keep the underhood temps down. taking off the engine cover and underhood liner made a small difference but it would be nice if air had a better route out of there without messing up airflow or making my windshield fog up. i don't wanna remove it and break the clips and not be able to put it on again, and then have negative effects. would rather somebody else be the guinea pig for that already

edit: doing some reading now it looks like it would actually increase engine temp since less air will be flowing through the radiator

edit 2: i decided to remove the SIDE weatherstripping on both sides of the engine bay and leave the rear one in place. i believe this will allow some heat to escape with none of the negative effects regarding air flowing in through the back of the hood instead of the front of the car. i'll test it at higher speeds later, but in about 20 minutes of around town driving it seems like it cools down quicker and doesn't get as hot. maybe a few degree difference in IAT. i couldn't see any difference in CHT or oil temp. it is 103 outside and about 1/4 to 1/2 mile of cruising at 50mph brings IATs down to 110-112

Last edited:
OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So got the PMAS on this morning. Went driving around downtown in the afternoon heat. IAT's were a tad high. So I added some pipe insulation to the box.
20200603_202115.jpg

And heres the resulting IAT. Dunno why, but this PMAS is much better than the JLT. 29c ambient, 33c IAT.
20200603_203410.jpg

Another thing as well. With the stock box on deceleration it snapped and popped. Even sometimes popped on upshifts. Not any more. Deceleration in gear has that nice crackle sound now. Cheers.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what is it at idle after a minute or so? did it come with that shielding between it and the radiator? i just ordered the injen and will wrap the whole thing in two layers of DEI gold

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Idling in 30c heat for 3 mins or so brought it up too 42c (107.6f). So the next step is gold foil and/or NOMEX. Yeah, shielding is there. So far, colour me impressed.
that's not bad at all. maybe about the same as the stock airbox would be actually

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it's the need a tune version. Haven't gone WOT yet. Drivability is not bad with some quick n dirty MAF changes. When it's really dialed in I'll let you know.
Are you self tuning? I would only get a non-tune intake since I don't wanna drive all the way back up to AED just to revise for something small like that

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Heck yeah, btw I talked with Injen and confirmed- you can cut out the insert and run larger maf if you want to.

what is it at idle after a minute or so? did it come with that shielding between it and the radiator? i just ordered the injen and will wrap the whole thing in two layers of DEI gold

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Wildhorse, where did that piece on top of the intake tube come from?

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
side weatherstripping delete going good so far. it was about 101 out today and i brought it up to operating temp and drove it about 20 minutes on the highway. didn't notice any weird hood fluttering or anything, CHT stayed at about 199-205 and IATs were about 7-9 above ambient (all in F) guess i'll keep it like this
Sponsored