Sponsored

Had enough of aftermarket CAI & HIGH IAT's. So here's my fix.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah More testing today. Let it idle in 80°F at a drive through for around 7 mins. Building on one side, brick wall on the other 8ft away. Cars in front, cars behind. Was like a kiln. Never went higher than 116°F. So 5°F per/min rise. CHT usually between 199°F-203°F. Pipe insulation on the top of the box definitely works. Cooling it off was almost triple the rise rate.
Sponsored

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
That’s pretty good I think. Do you know how stock was in this situation? Also, can u show us the final product. Thinking about this setup now as I previously wrote off the pmas completely

Yeah More testing today. Let it idle in 80°F at a drive through for around 7 mins. Building on one side, brick wall on the other 8ft away. Cars in front, cars behind. Was like a kiln. Never went higher than 116°F. So 5°F per/min rise. CHT usually between 199°F-203°F. Pipe insulation on the top of the box definitely works. Cooling it off was almost triple the rise rate.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
i finally drove the car after adding the pipe foam thing.... ambient temp was 90, at traffic lights i saw up to 20 degrees over ambient... after stopping at the mall to shop around, i saw up to 137 degrees IAT, and dropping as soon as the car started moving...

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Not final yet, but there is a pic on page 11. Stock rises slower, but also took longer to cool. Which PMAS shield are you using?
Oh I’m not sure how would I know? I have an 18 so it would be whatever is in the 18+ kit

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Looks like this?
SA-HEATSHIELD-100.jpg

Oh no I don’t have the intake yet, I was thinking about trying it based on your experience. But I just looked on their website and it looks like the 18+ does not have the radiator side heatshield. Sorry for the confusion lol

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Found some better foam. Smooth like a babies bottom haha. Conforms to the hood much easier now as well. IAT's are pretty much under control.
c_oc=AQnayrdNXtJ0vTcSeDLm5IpPdr-uoyFFvTBmenJpXckGSzd-TAMCIq_LVbSwgIF0IPE&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg
No disrespect, but too bad it looks like what comes out of a babies bottom. Still trying to figure out why any of this could not be done with the JLT?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Found some better foam. Smooth like a babies bottom haha. Conforms to the hood much easier now as well. IAT's are pretty much under control.
c_oc=AQnayrdNXtJ0vTcSeDLm5IpPdr-uoyFFvTBmenJpXckGSzd-TAMCIq_LVbSwgIF0IPE&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg
That's a very odd shaped elbow. Does the inside of the elbow follow that same oblong shape?

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
So would you say the pmas is worth making it work? Do you notice any gains over your last setup? Wondering if it’s worth the effort. Good job making it work btw

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I just installed the Injen CAI today (closed design). IATs are way better controlled than stock even with no wrap of any kind. I may just keep it like this. Pulls a lot harder too which is surprising since it's no tune. Runs smooth as butter on my AED E85 tune. No cool sounds though which you will probably never get with a closed intake.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Get a 170 thermostat and adjust the fan speed accordingly. Easiest way to lower IAT is to lower underhood temps.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Thank you for this! I have been looking at this intake forever so I appreciate this info. Can you elaborate on how it’s even better than stock IAT’s? And you actually felt it in the butt dyno? I’d be interested in what it does in the real dyno.

All in all it sounds like it could be worth it

I just installed the Injen CAI today (closed design). IATs are way better controlled than stock even with no wrap of any kind. I may just keep it like this. Pulls a lot harder too which is surprising since it's no tune. Runs smooth as butter on my AED E85 tune. No cool sounds though which you will probably never get with a closed intake.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Thank you for this! I have been looking at this intake forever so I appreciate this info. Can you elaborate on how it’s even better than stock IAT’s? And you actually felt it in the butt dyno? I’d be interested in what it does in the real dyno.

All in all it sounds like it could be worth it
definitely felt it on the butt dyno, and i'm not usually susceptible to the placebo effect. it just doesn't get as hot as fast as the stock intake

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
definitely felt it on the butt dyno, and i'm not usually susceptible to the placebo effect. it just doesn't get as hot as fast as the stock intake
Now are u coming from stock with a drop in or stock paper filter? And that’s crazy I didn’t think you could beat the stock intake IAT’s.
Sponsored