Gurney Flap

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
According to the Mach 1 OM supplement, the GF is for track use only. As such, any ideas as to how much drag is created dd? I'm wondering if I'd get better fuel mileage with it removed.
Sponsored

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
According to the Mach 1 OM supplement, the GF is for track use only. As such, any ideas as to how much drag is created dd? I'm wondering if I'd get better fuel mileage with it removed.
Not sure about mileage 'increase' Mike, but the "COOOLLLL'" appeal would definitely 'decrease'...:sunglasses:

rcsracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP #1859
Probably hard to quantify. Biggest impact would be at highway speed vs around town. It'll be less than one of those roof racks, but I wouldn't be surprised at 1-2 MPG on a highway trip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Mikey c'mon! You bought the hp! you really worried about mpg? You got the money!
lol .............. I guess I should have inserted a qualifier. :facepalm: Asked out of curiosity. Believe me, I'm not worried about fuel milage.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Not a Mach 1, but I just recently decided to install the gurney flap on my 2019 GT350 and saw no real measurable decrease in mpg at highway speeds (maybe 0.1 or 0.2)

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I put mine on my new 2020 GT350 and it is there to stay.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The gurney adds basically 100 lbs of downforce at 120mph (obviously less at slower speeds). Zero use off the track and just a drag on aero unless you are at high speeds on a tight track. Many leave it off all together.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...stang-shelby-gt350-gets-a-grip-on-its-mission
Does the gt350 cause any significant aero drag? Curiosity sake. Since you know these figures may of seen the 350ā€™s wings stats on drag. I canā€™t say I noticed any decrease in mpg, but Iā€™m ecoboost and get pretty routine 30s for highway

Sponsored
OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Does the gt350 cause any significant aero drag? Curiosity sake. Since you know these figures may of seen the 350ā€™s wings stats on drag. I canā€™t say I noticed any decrease in mpg, but Iā€™m ecoboost and get pretty routine 30s for highway
We can fix that. šŸ˜† Casite Motor Honey cures all ills ....................... :wink:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
The gurney adds basically 100 lbs of downforce at 120mph (obviously less at slower speeds).
Interesting, that must explain why the Gurney flap adds about half of the added downforce with HP, saw it in one of the preview videos, one small thing and has bigger effect than the spoiler itself.

With those splitter delivery issues with HP, I'd like to see some tests of the HP Mach 1 without splitter and Gurney flap and then with them, on spirited road driving, if there's noticable effect outside track (the sticky tyres will be predominant factor with HP). Basically I want assurance I don't need them :giggle:

Reactions: dps

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not a Mach 1, but I just recently decided to install the gurney flap on my 2019 GT350 and saw no real measurable decrease in mpg at highway speeds (maybe 0.1 or 0.2)
that is because 5% of 8mpg does not register on the trip computer :D

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The longer I look at it, the less I like it. It screams "Rice."