Sponsored

GT500 vs ZLE

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
I was excepting persistent snow on the ground as unsuitable weather. Rain is just liquid sunshine. None of my cars sit in a garage - exposed to all elements all the time.
Liquid sunshine!!! Hahahaha I love it! Good for you my dude. I like your style. Snow on the ground to me means....MOVE! Nobody should drive in that terrible substance. Bad enough I have to fly into it and deice all the damn time.

That being said Cup 2s are pretty temperature sensitive. Below 40 degrees they are hockey pucks. My DD hellcat actually wears Michelin PS4S which according to many are unsafe below 40 as most summer tires are advertised. I called Michelin and they told me not to move them, mount or dismount them, or change pressure any time below 20 degrees. In other words you'll lose performance below 40 but won't crack a tire. Luckily it's garage kept and I don't drive it when it's that cold which is like once every couple years where I am. Cup 2s stay in the heated garage when it's below 45.
Sponsored

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Have you driven a ZLe? Itā€™s like driving a go-kart. My fillings would fall out on some Atlanta roads. Even the video reviews online the drivers look like they are being shaken up. Plenty of people daily a GT350R and the GT500 CFTP has LESS damping. The reviews talk about how comfortable it is. Itā€™s a better car and can do more.
I wonder what roads these people are driving on that find the ZLE ride acceptable. There are some bumps around here that already bounce me out of the seat and into the roof in my normal ZL1. I know that at least some of them are lying to themselves about their decision and how they use their vehicle most of the time.

The GT500 keeping pace with the ZLE, and doing so with a suspension that is probably tuned more like the base ZL1, is impressive. I wonder how the magride on the GT500's and ZL1 are tuned in comparison? I would think the GT500 is stiffer, but I'm not sure.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
I wonder what roads these people are driving on that find the ZLE ride acceptable. There are some bumps around here that already bounce me out of the seat and into the roof in my normal ZL1. I know that at least some of them are lying to themselves about their decision and how they use their vehicle most of the time.

The GT500 keeping pace with the ZLE, and doing so with a suspension that is probably tuned more like the base ZL1, is impressive. I wonder how the magride on the GT500's and ZL1 are tuned in comparison? I would think the GT500 is stiffer, but I'm not sure.
Now we have to use the term 'GT500 Keeping Pace' with the ZLE? LOL I love it!! Yes... it kept pace... but if you want 2 passengers... you are going to have to drive something else. And here in AZ tracks and streets are smooth as glass.

Dave

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Now we have to use the term 'GT500 Keeping Pace' with the ZLE? LOL I love it!! Yes... it kept pace... but if you want 2 passengers... you are going to have to drive something else. And here in AZ tracks and streets are smooth as glass.

Dave
I'm sure you can add the seats back in easily enough, I doubt it really makes that much of a difference, right?

It does seem weird that they went that route with the CFTP, considering it's not a "track only" car like the ZLE. I think the only reason they didn't do it on the ZLE is they were burnt by the feedback on the Z/28.

I only say keeping pace with the ZLE because it's the current car in this category to beat. The GT500 has definitely done that. The ZL1 has the chassis and handling advantage, and the GT500 has every other one. This makes the GT500 the superior car, which I think everyone expected it to be.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
I'm sure you can add the seats back in easily enough, I doubt it really makes that much of a difference, right?

It does seem weird that they went that route with the CFTP, considering it's not a "track only" car like the ZLE. I think the only reason they didn't do it on the ZLE is they were burnt by the feedback on the Z/28.
Yeah, I just wish the rear seat delete/add would at least be an option on the CFTP car. I'd order with the back seat if possible.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

They are driving on fictitious roads made of glass. The ZLE was undriveable for me on New England roads. Watch the Matt Farah Smoking Tire review of the ZLE and you will get an honest review. Heā€™s literally hitting his head on normal roads due the suspension travel and itā€™s just ridiculous to consider the ZLE anything but a dedicated track car first. You can hear the car bottoming out which is exactly what I experienced.

Fast forward to 9:30 and watch for about a minute. I cringe just watching it.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
They area driving on fictitious roads made of glass. The ZLE was undriveable for me on New England roads. Watch the Matt Farah Smoking Tire review of the ZLE and you will get an honest review. Heā€™s literally hitting his head on normal roads due the suspension travel and itā€™s just ridiculous to consider the ZLE anything but a dedicated track car first. You can hear the car bottoming out which is exactly what I experienced.

Fast forward to 9:30 and watch for about a minute. I cringe just watching it.
More heads bouncing off roofs. Hopefully they reinforced the headliners on these so there isnā€™t a permanent head mark in them

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That is actually a great point. The base is the far better daily in either model. The only reason to buy the CFTP is you track it or you want to be the cool kid at cars and coffee.

I've driven one. I think all the complaining about the suspension is overstated personally. Is it a 1970 Cadillac El Dorado? Nope. Have I owned Jeeps that were worse...yep. Have I driven ATL roads....yep, quite often and not that bad by U.S. standards. Try the north east. Neither the CFTP or ZLE is a great choice for a daily if you live anywhere but Arizona. At the very least you are either 1.) wearing out the tires in a hurry and swapping them thus losing much of the performance or 2.) Swapping them out in the winter unless you're stupid. Also have fun Ubering every time it rains heavy. Do people daily them? A handful. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. Let's not even start the convo about people removing the Carbon Fiber wheels for fear of curb rash and 6k dollar wheels. Just look at the GT350 forum if you doubt.

EDIT: 6K each I mean.
I donā€™t buy it for a second about ZLe not being that bad. Itā€™s definitely quite a bit stiffer than my 350 and the R, and the CFTP is barely stiffer than the base model which is less stiff than the 350R. Atlanta highways are ok but some of our city roads not downtown are total crap. Iā€™ve driven one and did not want to DD it at all. I found the GT3 RS and GT4 more comfortable. Again, you can look at videos of the reviews and the guys are bouncing around. I donā€™t see that in 350 or 500 vids. And like I said, plenty of people DD an R, so would do they have to go to the track with a CFTP? If people have the money they buy the R over the base any day and most wonā€™t track the majority of miles.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If the ZLE is too stiff, then get the "regular" ZL1. I have not driven a ZLE, but I still can't believe it is stiffer than my DD 4x4.

Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
GT500 vs. ZLE vs. Redeye:

The good news... they all pick the GT500...

The bad news... it loses BOTH the 1/4 mile and the Road Course to the ZLE!

They say the GT500 wasn't on the best tires... and Randy believe's the results would be different.

However... I'm with Randy... while they are talking a $20K difference... we all know 'real world'... is closer to a $50K difference between the two... and if you don't have perfect new tires... you'll be seeing ZLE taillights. Although... in all honesty... the GT500 has yet to beat the ZLE in ANY handling comparison.

But I'm sure it will come sooner or later...

Dave
It's difficult to do proper, scientific tests with proper, scientific test methods and procedures without a budget. But not running all these cars on new tires, let alone, bringing a GT500 with 'well cooked tires' destroys the credibility of Throttle House and is as useless as running one car in the cold morning and another during the heat of the day that can easily be seconds slower; let alone some magazines who use multiple drivers on multiple days :facepalm:

-GT500 arrived with "Well-cooked Tires"
-GT500 CFTP does not have front splitter wickers installed
-GT500 CFTP does not have wing set to max downforce.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
It's difficult to do proper, scientific tests with proper, scientific test methods and procedures without a budget. But not running all these cars on new tires, let alone, bringing a GT500 with 'well cooked tires' destroys the credibility of Throttle House and is as useless as running one car in the cold morning and another during the heat of the day that can easily be seconds slower; let alone some magazines who use multiple drivers on multiple days :facepalm:

All true.
Thanks for stopping in Billy.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

This was a car provided BY Ford.

The ZL1 1LE was provided by a viewer and was on the basic ā€˜Streetā€™ alignment. GM didnā€™t get a chance to tinker with the car and dial it for more negative camber.

The GT500 was dialed in by Ford to the ā€˜Trackā€™ alignment so no excuses there.

This was verified by Throttle House separately.

The ISSIMI video where that GT500 did well had the same exact Aero setup and there were no complaints. It did well against the GT3 RS for the one lap and then lap times kept going up after which isnā€™t promising. This is after all a very heavy sports car.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This was a car provided BY Ford.

The ZL1 1LE was provided by a viewer and was on the basic ā€˜Streetā€™ alignment. GM didnā€™t get a chance to tinker with the car and dial it for more negative camber.

The GT500 was dialed in by Ford to the ā€˜Trackā€™ alignment so no excuses there.

This was verified by Throttle House separately.

The ISSIMI video where that GT500 did well had the same exact Aero setup and there were no complaints. It did well against the GT3 RS for the one lap and then lap times kept going up after which isnā€™t promising. This is after all a very heavy sports car.
Magazines and journalists often request cars and then secretly take them to the track to conduct head to head tests without disclosing it. It's possible the GT500 CFTP went from one event or publication, who ruined the tires, directly to Throttle House without notice that the car is going to the track (possibly requested to use it for a photo/street drive review).

It's irresponsible or lazy to conduct track tests in cars that do not have new tires and I hope people as a whole start to realize this and demand magazine publications and youtube bloggers and channels to be held to a higher standard.
Sponsored