Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
as advertised I guess with that limiter.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yep, it hit the speed limiter at 181. Just like at Daytona for me. I dont get the point of the video. We all know there is a speed limiter and i can say that it works.

Nothing to see here.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
Anybody confirm why the governor was needed? I've heard speculation but nothing official.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Anybody confirm why the governor was needed? I've heard speculation but nothing official.
I can give you my thoughts after many years of wondering myself.

First, if you are going to build a car that can go faster, you have to engineer it to do so. That equates to additional costs and beefing up the parts of the car that will fail when used under those conditions.

Case in point.... my last stint at the Daytona Speedway under high load and continuous runs hitting the speed limiter caused my CVs to overheat and eventually fail. There are not that many tracks in the country where you can operate the car under these conditions. Also, there are not a lot of people who would operate the car and drive it to the point where these failures would be exposed.

So, my takeaway is that why build a track car to go faster than most tracks can support? Again, why build and engineer a car that only a very small percent of people will ever realize that kind of performance? If you build it to go faster, you will have to engineer it to handle that. The car is already a pig as it is and you are probably going to have to add some expensive weight reduction or make the car heavier by beefing up the drivetrain components.

I can say that the two half shafts that i had to replace weighed about 70 pounds. Want to make the car go faster, those shafts and much of the drivetrain would have to be substantially more robust.

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Yep, it hit the speed limiter at 181. Just like at Daytona for me. I dont get the point of the video. We all know there is a speed limiter and i can say that it works.

Nothing to see here.
What gear and rpm at 181 ?

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
I can give you my thoughts after many years of wondering myself.

First, if you are going to build a car that can go faster, you have to engineer it to do so. That equates to additional costs and beefing up the parts of the car that will fail when used under those conditions.

Case in point.... my last stint at the Daytona Speedway under high load and continuous runs hitting the speed limiter caused my CVs to overheat and eventually fail. There are not that many tracks in the country where you can operate the car under these conditions. Also, there are not a lot of people who would operate the car and drive it to the point where these failures would be exposed.

So, my takeaway is that why build a track car to go faster than most tracks can support? Again, why build and engineer a car that only a very small percent of people will ever realize that kind of performance? If you build it to go faster, you will have to engineer it to handle that. The car is already a pig as it is and you are probably going to have to add some expensive weight reduction or make the car heavier by beefing up the drivetrain components.

I can say that the two half shafts that i had to replace weighed about 70 pounds. Want to make the car go faster, those shafts and much of the drivetrain would have to be substantially more robust.
That makes sense I suppose. Always wondered if there was a true design limit (hood lift or something similar).

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Nice to see a video of the car doing it considering most here will never get to push the car to it's limited top speed.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
my last stint at the Daytona Speedway under high load and continuous runs hitting the speed limiter caused my CVs to overheat and eventually fail.
Was that strictly going around the oval ?

Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That's about what I expected. I wonder how different the results would be if they did it with the CFTP, or even better the new CFHP. Obviously, I'd guess the former would be slower than what this car did, but just curious.

-SG

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Rolex 24 course
Pretty sure full boogie in a 4000lb + car on 31 degree banks will cause unpleasant things to happen with the CV's.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I am sure all of them top out at the 180-182 mark. By slower, do you mean how quickly they get there?
That's about what I expected. I wonder how different the results would be if they did it with the CFTP, or even better the new CFHP. Obviously, I'd guess the former would be slower than what this car did, but just curious.

-SG