MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Large waist = performance sapping weight?

Hahaha, for years on the Corvette forum I would talk about car weights and say something like, "My Z06, bone stock, 1/4 tank of gas was 3150 on scales, or 3600 with me in it". Took a long time for someone to finally say, "JFC, dude really?"

:cwl:
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
because its a mustang. meant for competition. if not being pushed to the maximum, whats the point.
F-in A, I'm glad there are people that say, "Stock isn't enough, I'm going to explore the limits of the platform" as much as there are people who say "Stock is enough".

I've been both places: my stock longblock Supra, ~750rwhp (from 320HP FWHP), my GT convertible, ~ +40rwhp (yes, I'm a Mustang madman ... :D)

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
TOP SPEED....now this is fun to me...

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Have the gear ratios for the transmission and rear end been released? Do we know the tire sizes and engine redline?

If you knew those numbers you can calculate a pretty accurate top speed based on gearing, which might be what the limit is for the GT500 as it is for the GT350.

-T
I think its been confirmed that it’s electronically limited. Definitely not gearing and definitely not drag limitied.

I really want to know why they are doing this, unless its all a big prank and they release a video with it breaking 200.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think its been confirmed that it’s electronically limited. Definitely not gearing and definitely not drag limitied.

I really want to know why they are doing this, unless its all a big prank and they release a video with it breaking 200.

Because you can electronically limit it even after you have geared it for quickness. That way, rather than saying it can’t go much faster, you say you limited it. It’s marketing.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Because you can electronically limit it even after you have geared it for quickness. That way, rather than saying it can’t go much faster, you say you limited it. It’s marketing.
Agreed, but theres nothing that implies this car is gear limited to 180, or say 185 and then electronically limited to 180. And at the end of the day, it's fast but it's not that fast. Punches above its weight class sure, but mid 3s and assume high 10s isn't that fast anymore. I'm not bitching about those numbers, but theres more to this story.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Agreed, but theres nothing that implies this car is gear limited to 180, or say 185 and then electronically limited to 180. And at the end of the day, it's fast but it's not that fast. Punches above its weight class sure, but mid 3s and assume high 10s isn't that fast anymore. I'm not bitching about those numbers, but theres more to this story.
Yep. However nobody's talking.

I am still pursuing one.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Perhaps. But that addition to the story may be gearing.

There are other, less desirable explanations for sure-aero issues, engine starvation, driveline trouble, etc. but they’ve had plenty of time to figure those out. The aero likely comes into play at least a bit. It’s pretty intense on the track pack.

What’s interesting to me is how the top speed limited info came out after early estimated performance number a were given and how some corners of the internet were “meh” about it. That was followed by the chief engineer making statements about ringing out every last drop of performance before production starts. A while later and we get this gem.

I’m thinking it’s not just final drive ratios, but DCT ratios involved.

But hey, watch it end up that the hood pins fail at high speed and the whole assembly flies off.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Magna produced quite a bit of this car for Ford. My understanding is that they were tasked with producing much of the nose, grille etc, and that it had to remain secure and stable up to a given speed. Apparently they exceeded the number(s) they were given but it was still a bit below 200mph. There is an extreme volume of air being directed through the nose and that air has to get out. Big issue is if the rain tray is in place, pressure builds rapidly under hood and can cause some undesirable handling characteristics at speed. I can't speak to the hood pins failing but rather they were used to mitigate hood lift issues when this car hits speeds well over 100mph.

The GT4 cars suffered similar hood lift issues and as such the SRO allowed some rather sizable openings in that hood too. The GT500 lets in even more air than the GT4 cars, quite a bit more.

Last edited:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated