GT500 or challenger hellcat WB Red Eye

JCor350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Shelby Super Snake, 2019 Mclaren 600LT
Looking to finalize a Purchase for my next daily driver. I’m in between these 2 cars and welcome comments/guidance from forum members. in the end I’m looking for performance and reliability and not very concern with MPG... thx
Sponsored

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Depends on what your looking for in a car, ride and performance characteristics, budget, etc. Very different cars!

Challenger is bigger, more trunk space, and a little more directed at strait line performance and cruising. Overall comfy interior and ride quality.. Great for road trips. Just a super muscle cruiser!

Gt500 is more performance oriented. Slightly stiffer/less compliant ride. But still very tolerable and fine as a daily or for road trips (if you opt for comfy seats over recaros) though some love the recaros. The shelby is a more well rounded machine. Fine for crusing but also ready to shred mountain roads or a track at seconds notice!

The big thing here is price point and availability! You are going to get a hellcat well under msrp if you shop around and the higher production #'s will give you greater chances of finding the exact spec and options you are looking for.

Where you will likely pay over MSRP or at the very least MSRP if you shop around and put the work in on GT500. Limited production means you will have to be flexible with your spec and option choices unless you decide to order one. Then you get in on the waiting game!

2 very different cars! You are obviously going to get mustang bias from this forum. Both are great cars. Good luck and congrats on whichever you choose.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Get a c7 zr1, a better handling lighter weight car that will outrun both vehicles..

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I had a 2019 Charger Hellcat and if I we’re buying a badass daily driver, that car would be it. Super comfortable seats. Good mpg, and a great cruiser. Hauled ass also.
But, it’s a 4 door sedan not a two door like the GT500 or Challenger.
I would go GT500 if you are dead set on one of those. Otherwise the Charger all the way for a daily.
It had plenty of pedal left at 181 mph.

4B28A13F-0C2D-4D57-AA49-BD6A4B1CF4BA.jpeg

9C726C70-06C0-4018-8978-7B7CA2CB45D2.jpeg

Sponsored

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
When you say daily driver does that mean literally like almost every day? If so I’d get the Redeye, I’d say the dodge will probably be more reliable and easier to live with, less gas stops for one. That being said If you like the GT500 more I don’t see you being unhappy driving it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
GT500 no doubt over the WB Challenger Hellcat Redeye IMO - easily as quick as a Redeye in a straight line, and no comparison when things go left and right since the GT500 can do both really well. Plus it looks a LOT better in my opinion. Just don't order the Recaros without sitting in them first - they are not that comfortable IMO.

Have you test driven both of them? It seems that would probably give you your answer if at all possible. My local Ford dealer that I bought my Mustang GT from in 2018 wouldn't let me test drive its GT500 last year; can't really blame them, I guess. But that combined with the markup definitely cost them a chance at a sale with me.

As you may be aware, for quite a bit less money than either you can also get a Camaro ZL1 -- not many around here will suggest that since the design is polarizing to Mustang bros -- but it is a street monster for the price. An A10 ZL1 is not quite as quick in a straight line as the other two at speeds above 70 mph, but really not that far off at all at sane speeds since the ZL1 is lighter. Heck, on street tires on the street the ZL1 hooks up the best of the 3 due to the lighter weight and better front/rear weight distribution. It has magnetic dampers so it is a pretty comfortable ride despite the high performance handling, and the ZL1 comes fully optioned out, unlike the other two in their base trims. It handles amazingly, and has excellent steering and chassis. To be clear, when I say ZL1 I'm not referring to the ZL1 1LE ("ZLE"). That one is stiff and the ZL1 is a better choice as a daily driver.

Weight and power to weight ratios (all weights per Car and Driver tests w/ full tank of gas):
A10 ZL1: 3,925 lbs; 6.0 lbs/hp
GT500 (base): 4,171 lbs; 5.5 lbs/hp
WB HC RE: 4,529 lbs; 5.7 lbs/hp

Food for thought! Can't really go wrong with any of them IMO (unless you plan on tracking them, then obviously the Hellcat isn't the right choice)!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OP, you have "2019 Dodge RedEye WB " listed in your vehicles in your avatar, so are you looking to buy __another__ one? Is that a Challenger or a Charger?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It would have to be a Challenger. The Charger didn't get the WB till 2020 MY, and the Redeye is 2021 MY.
Ahh, thanks, then I guess my question is even more specific: buy another of the roughly the same? I'd definitely try something different. In fact, for a daily fun cruiser I might do a Charger Redye WB, looks great, tons of space, handy 4-doors.

Funny, I'm actually considering a Durango SRT for a combined family/fun/daily for me, in the same gray as Houston Kid's Charger above (or close, the MY21 is Destroyer Gray).

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
I had a 2019 Charger Hellcat and if I we’re buying a badass daily driver, that car would be it. Super comfortable seats. Good mpg, and a great cruiser. Hauled ass also.
But, it’s a 4 door sedan not a two door like the GT500 or Challenger.
I would go GT500 if you are dead set on one of those. Otherwise the Charger all the way for a daily.
It had plenty of pedal left at 181 mph.

4B28A13F-0C2D-4D57-AA49-BD6A4B1CF4BA.jpeg

9C726C70-06C0-4018-8978-7B7CA2CB45D2.jpeg
That Charger was a great color also, IMO.

Sponsored

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
For an ‘only car, daily driver’ type situation I’d give the nod to the Challenger / Charger as well. They are plush and very comfortable. Not to say the GT500 isn’t, but it’s more track-focused of the two for sure. Occasional daily driver ? GT500 all day.

Go Time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That's a tough call. I have a Challenger and it is very comfortable....too comfortable. It's a little big and sloppy for my liking but still a lot of fun. I would go with the GT500 without the Recaros and call it the day.

Diel11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2020 GR Supra, 2020 Grabber Lime Track Pack, 1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R
I have both right now (2020 WB Challenger Redeye Sinnamon Stick and Grabber Lime Track Pack 500). Like it's been said before, the Challenger is an easier daily driver but mainly that's because the Track Pack is more of a roadcourse race car. The Challenger has more room, good trunk, and it's quieter inside. It also feels a bit "loose" and the interior looks dated. Love them both.

gt500.jpg

challenger.jpg

OP
OP
JCor350RHE

JCor350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
GT500 no doubt over the WB Challenger Hellcat Redeye IMO - easily as quick as a Redeye in a straight line, and no comparison when things go left and right since the GT500 can do both really well. Plus it looks a LOT better in my opinion. Just don't order the Recaros without sitting in them first - they are not that comfortable IMO.

Have you test driven both of them? It seems that would probably give you your answer if at all possible. My local Ford dealer that I bought my Mustang GT from in 2018 wouldn't let me test drive its GT500 last year; can't really blame them, I guess. But that combined with the markup definitely cost them a chance at a sale with me.

As you may be aware, for quite a bit less money than either you can also get a Camaro ZL1 -- not many around here will suggest that since the design is polarizing to Mustang bros -- but it is a street monster for the price. An A10 ZL1 is not quite as quick in a straight line as the other two at speeds above 70 mph, but really not that far off at all at sane speeds since the ZL1 is lighter. Heck, on street tires on the street the ZL1 hooks up the best of the 3 due to the lighter weight and better front/rear weight distribution. It has magnetic dampers so it is a pretty comfortable ride despite the high performance handling, and the ZL1 comes fully optioned out, unlike the other two in their base trims. It handles amazingly, and has excellent steering and chassis. To be clear, when I say ZL1 I'm not referring to the ZL1 1LE ("ZLE"). That one is stiff and the ZL1 is a better choice as a daily driver.

Weight and power to weight ratios (all weights per Car and Driver tests w/ full tank of gas):
A10 ZL1: 3,925 lbs; 6.0 lbs/hp
GT500 (base): 4,171 lbs; 5.5 lbs/hp
WB HC RE: 4,529 lbs; 5.7 lbs/hp

Food for thought! Can't really go wrong with any of them IMO (unless you plan on tracking them, then obviously the Hellcat isn't the right choice)!
Thank you very thorough and some very good arguments. didnt think of the ZL1 so that may be another alternative for sure... just don’t think looks as good as GT and Hellcat WB...

OP
OP
JCor350RHE

JCor350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
I have both right now (2020 WB Challenger Redeye Sinnamon Stick and Grabber Lime Track Pack 500). Like it's been said before, the Challenger is an easier daily driver but mainly that's because the Track Pack is more of a roadcourse race car. The Challenger has more room, good trunk, and it's quieter inside. It also feels a bit "loose" and the interior looks dated. Love them both.

gt500.jpg

challenger.jpg
Awesome! Getting both will surely be a great option but unfortunately can only have either /or... great looking cars. Congrats And thanks for the advice.
Sponsored