GT500 or C8?

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Stang Mode has comments about people changing their mind from the Shelby GT500 to the C8 Vette, could this change the mark-ups for GT500?
Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Stang Mode has comments about people changing their mind from the Shelby GT500 to the C8 Vette, could this change the mark-ups for GT500?
I hope so. That base c8 is going to be a monster for people who modify when aftermarket catches up. You can’t ask for much more honestly. If it didn’t have dct it would be the best inexpensive platform ever. Lol

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I hope so. That base c8 is going to be a monster for people who modify when aftermarket catches up. You can’t ask for much more honestly. If it didn’t have dct it would be the best inexpensive platform ever. Lol
Just like the LT1 I think the LT2 will have too much torque to make big hp. I bet it taps out at 700 rwhp before it needs a built engine. Thats like 150 hp less than a well tuned 5.0 can take. And like the poster above said I think the gt500 will be able to make like 1000rwhp safely and easily, maybe more.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Just like the LT1 I think the LT2 will have too much torque to make big hp. I bet it taps out at 700 rwhp before it needs a built engine. Thats like 150 hp less than a well tuned 5.0 can take. And like the poster above said I think the gt500 will be able to make like 1000rwhp safely and easily, maybe more.
I think you’re right.
I meant the platform itself will be great for all out builds. The ls/lt is used so much and has such a large industry that the cost (after a couple years) to modify would be better. If the gt500 was mid engine it would of coarse be better in all directions. It really will change the car industry at that price point

Both cars have dct and the gtr have had costly issues that would concern me if I was purchasing one.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
LT2 is just the base engine. You haven't seen the main engine yet. DOHC FPC with and without FI.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reliability and dohc v8 engines aren't gm's strong point
Based on what? NorthStar V8 was no more or less reliable than DOHC engines of its day. Whatever GM comes to market with for C8 will not resemble NorthStar because
  • most of if not all of the development team are long retired
  • the plant where it was built is now a parking lot
Then there's the LT5 for the 1989 - 1995 ZR1. Again, ancient history. I actually coordinated the end of production lifetime service plan for that engine. Reliability was NOT the problem we had in developing the plan. It was the fact that the engine changed WILDLY between 1989 and 1995 to the point that there are three different design buckets. That and suppliers going bankrupt made service parts planning a lot of fun.

Back on topic. The V6 engines that I noted in my earlier note have very good reliability and durability records and the 4.2TT V8 is a brand new engine. If you know something about its reliability and durability that I don't, I'm all ears.

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Based on what? NorthStar V8 was no more or less reliable than DOHC engines of its day..
Ummmm what? you cant be serious. Like the hondas and acuras? Toyotas? That reliable? Thing was shitting out Headgaskets.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ummmm what? you cant be serious. Like the hondas and acuras? Toyotas? That reliable? Thing was shitting out Headgaskets.
Honda / Acura has never made a V8. Toyota V8 DOHCs had a ton of issues. So did Ford SOHCs and DOHCs. Again....with the times....late 80's early 90's

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am sure some may be swayed. In the long run, Ford/Mustang fans will get the GT500 and Chevy/Corvette fans will get Corvettes. They are apples and oranges as far as driving character and styling. Those that just go with the current new thing will bounce around and not just between these two either. I have no doubt that it will be harder to get a GT500 at any price than to get a C8 Vette.
Sponsored