GT500 intake box foam removal

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
Anyone notice the foam and why it's there...I assume for emissions etc......if you remove foam you can see cold air will be available coming from the removal of the plastic trim sealing the driver side headlight.....what do you all think...

We know removal of the intake lid will allow too much hot air in and reduce performance....this may work see pictures attached

Screenshot_20230509_131325_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230509_131332_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Anyone notice the foam and why it's there...I assume for emissions etc......if you remove foam you can see cold air will be available coming from the removal of the plastic trim sealing the driver side headlight.....what do you all think...

We know removal of the intake lid will allow too much hot air in and reduce performance....this may work see pictures attached

Screenshot_20230509_131325_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230509_131332_Gallery.jpg
Just buy a JLT for $400. Tons of videos of proven 30+ wheel hp, no tune required. I noticed a difference for sure, plus ALOT more supercharger noise. My IATs are literally at ambient and even a degree or two less on the freeway sometimes.

OP
OP

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
I already researched this....all dyno's are done with hood open and cold air.......another youtuber tested the quarter mile before and after with the top lid removed(hot air intake) and it ran slower than oem sealed box

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
I already researched this....all dyno's are done with hood open and cold air.......another youtuber tested the quarter mile before and after with the top lid removed(hot air intake) and it ran slower than oem sealed box
I just told you I monitor my IATs, and they're at ambient or lower at all times. It might be worse on the drag strip if you're sitting there for 10 minutes running, but in any other scenario, its just a straight shot of ram air right into the intake, increasing with speed. NOTICEABLE difference.

OP
OP

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
I dont see how the JLT is getting more air than oem....the front ram air duct is the same size as oem? and the top is sealed with the hood? .... also dealer says they will void engine warranty with aftermarket intake :( another reason I didnt get this

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The foam piece is to seal the side of the airbox and prevent hot air from entering. The intake gets it's fresh air from the front grille. The plastic piece you pulled off the hood is to help reduce hood flutter.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
I dont see how the JLT is getting more air than oem....the front ram air duct is the same size as oem? and the top is sealed with the hood? .... also dealer says they will void engine warranty with aftermarket intake :( another reason I didnt get this
Bigger filter, the tube is way bigger and better shaped, and I think the air duct goes closer to the bumper but don't quote me on that one. Sucks about the dealer, just put OEM box on if something happens?

OP
OP

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
I will test this out and see..... the point is cold air should enter above the headlight as car is moving and allow more flow to the K&N filter with foam removed.......and dealer wont complain about the aftermarket box.... (hood pins should prevent the "hood flutter" )

OP
OP

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
Bigger filter, the tube is way bigger and better shaped, and I think the air duct goes closer to the bumper but don't quote me on that one. Sucks about the dealer, just put OEM box on if something happens?
no matter how big filter and tube.....the bottleneck with how much new air is in the restricted box........thats why on the dyno you get 60hp+ gains (no restiction of box)

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
no matter how big filter and tube.....the bottleneck with how much new air is in the restricted box........thats why on the dyno you get 60hp+ gains (no restiction of box)
And that's why on the freeway and when you're moving in general you also get massive power. Do you think fans on a dyno to an open hood are providing more air than the ram air at 60, 80, 100, 150 mph?

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Yes the intake makes a power difference. Under hood temps are not a factor UNLESS you’re staging for a drag strip and idling the motor. This is why the JLT shows a “slightly” slower time. The bottleneck will always be the throttle body but smoothing the flow of air and having a bigger straw definitely help the engine gulp in as much as the TB will allow.
And if a dealer is telling you they’ll “void your warranty” how will they prove it? Keep your stock air box and if your car ever throws a code just swap it back in. It’s a 30 min process max.

OP
OP

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
Anyway this foam removal didnt make a difference on butt dyno....in traffic IAT went from 86 to 92+

Personally I would need to see a before and after JLT dragy 1/4 test or rolling test to beleive it works.....dyno with open hood wont do it

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..plus ALOT more supercharger noise.
First person I know of to say this. I couldn't hear any difference after installing the JLT and if there's a bump in performance, I sure haven't seen it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I had a '14 so I know what a blower sounds like but, the only time I ever hear it on the '20 is on engine shutdown. That said, the other half regularly tells me to get hearing aids. :-)
Sponsored