Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP adjustable camber plates: pin removal for track alignment (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
In this video, I get my 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack up on my lift and do a little front suspension disassembly to remove the factory pin screws in the adjustable camber plates to allow a track alignment. I show the step-by-step process to remove the screws in preparation for a track alignment.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I haven't watched the video yet, but the job wasn't that bad. I was not able to get the strut out of the wheel well though. I had to work through the strut tower from the top to get the pins out.

Next episode..... Tim does a string alignment.

Let me know if you need some pointers, lol

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I haven't watched the video yet, but the job wasn't that bad. I was not able to get the strut out of the wheel well though. I had to work through the strut tower from the top to get the pins out.

Next episode..... Tim does a string alignment.

Let me know if you need some pointers, lol
I mention you in the video. As for the track alignment, I think Iā€™m going to pay to have it done correctly.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Goose17

I just watched the video. Thanks for the shout out. Really good video. Well done.

My comment about the string alignment is that if you do it, you know its right. Case in point.... i had my half shaft replaced after a track weekend and the alignment as performed was incorrect. (It was part of the post shaft replacement).

It is pretty well recognized that a string alignment is more accurate than anything you will find at a dealership when done correctly. I reached out to @Epiphany when I was setting my car up for the track and it was agreed that the dealerahip is not the way to go.

Another note pertaining to the factory camber plates..... they suck. King Kong himself can't readily adjust the front camber on the OEM camber plates, at least like the butter smooth vorshlag plates. Anyone who wants to adjust the camber back and forth needs a small piece of 2x4 and a big hand sledge to move the camber from setting to setting. I am seriously thinking of taking my vorshlag plates and replacing the OEM plates.

A friend (@16Kobra) had a shop do a track alignment on his factory OEM camber plates. The technician gave up and called it close enough because these plates are a bitch to work with.

Anyhow, we all enjoy your videos and again, a nice job.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
@Goose17

I just watched the video. Thanks for the shout out. Really good video. Well done.

My comment about the string alignment is that if you do it, you know its right. Case in point.... i had my half shaft replaced after a track weekend and the alignment as performed was incorrect. (It was part of the post shaft replacement).

It is pretty well recognized that a string alignment is more accurate than anything you will find at a dealership when done correctly. I reached out to @Epiphany when I was setting my car up for the track and it was agreed that the dealerahip is not the way to go.

Another note pertaining to the factory camber plates..... they suck. King Kong himself can't readily adjust the front camber on the OEM camber plates, at least like the butter smooth vorshlag plates. Anyone who wants to adjust the camber back and forth needs a small piece of 2x4 and a big hand sledge to move the camber from setting to setting. I am seriously thinking of taking my vorshlag plates and replacing the OEM plates.

A friend (@16Kobra) had a shop do a track alignment on his factory OEM camber plates. The technician gave up and called it close enough because these plates are a bitch to work with.

Anyhow, we all enjoy your videos and again, a nice job.
Thanks Tom! šŸ»

Iā€™ve never done an alignment, so I am concerned Iā€™d screw it up. Iā€™m going to try a shop and see how it goes. If they suck, I might be hollering for the ā€œstring theory.ā€

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tom! šŸ»

Iā€™ve never done an alignment, so I am concerned Iā€™d screw it up. Iā€™m going to try a shop and see how it goes. If they suck, I might be hollering for the ā€œstring theory.ā€

:facepalm:
String alignment

Its more accurate than a dealership can (or will) do. Most race shops string the car. When I was done with the 500, it was down to a gnats ass, and the bonus? I knew it was right.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Two lengths of conduit, each about a foot or so longer than the track width of the car, some string, a caster/camber gauge, and a jack, etc, are about all you need (along with wrenches). Since caster is pretty much fixed (and really no need for more on the S550), you are only doing camber and toe. I've been doing my own alignments for about fifteen years now and wouldn't have it any other way. It can be tedious at times but with experience you'll quickly cut down on time.

And I agree with Tom on the factory camber plates. I wanted to try them (instead of going straight to the aftermarket like I have done in the past) but having done so I would recommend aftermarket units for simplicity's sake, as well as to speed things up a bit. With that in mind, it is easier to be more accurate when the process utilizes top notch hardware. The factory plates are indeed frustrating to use.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Two lengths of conduit, each about a foot or so longer than the track width of the car, some string, a caster/camber gauge, and a jack, etc, are about all you need (along with wrenches). Since caster is pretty much fixed (and really no need for more on the S550), you are only doing camber and toe. I've been doing my own alignments for about fifteen years now and wouldn't have it any other way. It can be tedious at times but with experience you'll quickly cut down on time.

And I agree with Tom on the factory camber plates. I wanted to try them (instead of going straight to the aftermarket like I have done in the past) but having done so I would recommend aftermarket units for simplicity's sake, as well as to speed things up a bit. With that in mind, it is easier to be more accurate when the process utilizes top notch hardware. The factory plates are indeed frustrating to use.
Since installing camber/caster plates is a real pain, I just went straight to Maximum Motorsportsā€˜ version as I have used them in the past. Still have the stock plates in the garage somewhere.
The string method is easy to use. Once you have tried it, youā€™ll never pay a shop again.
75C0254F-B45D-416D-B115-8FA49FCFFD4E.jpeg

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
A buddy of mine that is a frequent ā€œtrackerā€ recommended a shop to me. I have an appointment with them next week. They are called Texas Track Works and said they would do a track alignment for $150. Apparently these guys are good and do track alignments all the time... we shall see.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
A buddy of mine that is a frequent ā€œtrackerā€ recommended a shop to me. I have an appointment with them next week. They are called Texas Track Works and said they would do a track alignment for $150. Apparently these guys are good and do track alignments all the time... we shall see.
Again, we are back to trusting they do the job right.

These are good for checking your camber. Place it directly on the rotor and you get a very good idea what your camber setting is set to. Not the full on digital camber guage, but a very good pocket size version.

As for toe, there is no way to verify unless you either hook it up to a machine, or string the car.

Make sure you are on a level surface

accumaster.jpg

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
About fell over. $150?!