GT500 Car Cover

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have used a piece of canvas to drape over the tire before the cover goes on in the past.

These days I really don't use tire shine anyway. I use Griot's tire cleaner and it leaves the rubber a nice dark matte finish all by itself.

Something tells me this was more of a "waxer" joke, but I thought I would chime inn anyway :like:
No, it was a serious question. I had similar thoughts, but wondered if they made some kind of wheel covers for this purpose.

My GT350 covers all have black wheel marks.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It may have been a joke, Jamie but in any case, I'm one of those who doesn't like the "wet and shiny" look. And, like many others on this boat, I've used crummy tire shine in the past and just wiped it off as best I could. But CarPro's Perl isn't a petroleum-based product, it's more like a wax for rubber and after a buff, I get exactly the satin look that I want.
I need to look into that, KB

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
If you do, Tom, I'm reasonably sure you will like the result. The problem is, the stuff isn't cheap by a long shot so only Sarah gets Perl, the other vehicles get Chemical Guys Tire Shine. :cool:

Here's a tire with probably ten applications of Perl since last Feb.

1611183038794.png

Meanwhile, for practice I'm going to ceramic coat her car first before Sarah gets hers which means mild paint correction (except for a few spots of former bird dodo and a few scratches which will need more work.) So, that's what I'm doing this week. Sarah has to go outside when the machine polishing takes place because I'm a "slinger extraordinaire" with one of those things. :-)

1611183336410.png

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If you do, Tom, I'm reasonably sure you will like the result. The problem is, the stuff isn't cheap by a long shot so only Sarah gets Perl, the other vehicles get Chemical Guys Tire Shine. :cool:

Here's a tire with probably ten applications of Perl since last Feb.

1611183038794.png

Meanwhile, for practice I'm going to ceramic coat her car first before Sarah gets hers which means mild paint correction (except for a few spots of former bird dodo and a few scratches which will need more work.) So, that's what I'm doing this week. Sarah has to go outside when the machine polishing takes place because I'm a "slinger extraordinaire" with one of those things. :-)

1611183336410.png
That would work.

Edit:
@kilobravo, how do you apply the Perl? I bought a liter of it today.

Last edited:

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I like the look of the GT350 cover, but won't use it. Looks so brittle I suspect it will scratch the car. The GT500 cover looks great - I'd use it all the time in the garage.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
That would work.

Edit:
@kilobravo, how do you apply the Perl? I bought a liter of it today.
For tires, I use Perl straight from the bottle with either a brush or a foam applicator block.

jul136.jpg

oct2720.jpg

oct2721.jpg

Perl can be diluted for other applications but works better neat from the bottle for tires.

303 Aerospace protectant can also be used if a matte finish on tires is preferred.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
10-4 on that DFB, do the same here although I prefer a larger foam applicator for the tires to speed it up.

1611315663486.png

I also use the heck out of A-303 on plastic and vinyl although I have never used it on tires. With the price of Perl, I may have to take a look at that option, thanks.

My Rupes Ibrid Nano arrived last night and I'm charging batteries as we type. Very anxious to see how well the tool does on small, tight areas that cannot be machine polished any other way.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
For tires, I use Perl straight from the bottle with either a brush or a foam applicator block.

jul136.jpg

oct2720.jpg

oct2721.jpg

Perl can be diluted for other applications but works better neat from the bottle for tires.

303 Aerospace protectant can also be used if a matte finish on tires is preferred.
Thanks for that!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
10-4 on that DFB, do the same here although I prefer a larger foam applicator for the tires to speed it up.

1611315663486.png

I also use the heck out of A-303 on plastic and vinyl although I have never used it on tires. With the price of Perl, I may have to take a look at that option, thanks.

My Rupes Ibrid Nano arrived last night and I'm charging batteries as we type. Very anxious to see how well the tool does on small, tight areas that cannot be machine polished any other way.
I use those applicators too. I love them, just the right size.

I only use Perl occasionally for tires, preferring the Australian market NV Onyx dressing applied with a red version of that applicator sponge. Onyx is amazing stuff, giving just right amount of sheen without that slimy slick look and decent longevity considering it water based formulation. If you ever manage to find some in the US, you will not be disappointed!
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/nv-car-care/products/nv-onyx-tyre-dressing

may58.jpg

For reference, this is what 303 looks like on tires. Being water based like Perl, it won't last long. If you are anything like me, I love apply tire dressing so longevity is not an issue.

apr227.jpg

apr226.jpg

And would you believe I have my eye set on a Rupes Ibrid Nano too. I'm waiting for my preferred supplier to have them back in stock. Did you go for the short or long neck version?
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/buffing-machines-kits/products/rupes-bigfoot-nano-ibrid

We have wandered a little off topic LOL, but hey, you have to have a shiny clean car before you put a cover on it right? :wink:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
DFB: Clearly we have traits in common. <smiling>

Thanks for the reference shot of 303 on rubber. Pretty darn close to Perl.

I probably wash my girl four times a month, maybe a bit more depending on how much she's driven and I generally only apply tire shine every other wash/wax.

As for the Nano, I got the long neck version and, the large kit. After using it extensively for the first time yesterday, I can tell you with confidence that you will love it and it comes in a nifty box, too. I saw videos of both a soft and hard case and luckily, the hard case is current. Great way to hold all those little parts.

And with equivalent pad grit and compound, I get the same result as I do with my full size Rupes and, quickly, too. Definitely a must have for in close polishing.

And yep, it is Verbotten to cover a car with a speck of dirt on it. :-)

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Thanks for the reference shot of 303 on rubber. Pretty darn close to Perl.

I probably wash my girl four times a month, maybe a bit more depending on how much she's driven and I generally only apply tire shine every other wash/wax.

As for the Nano, I got the long neck version and, the large kit. After using it extensively for the first time yesterday, I can tell you with confidence that you will love it and it comes in a nifty box, too. I saw videos of both a soft and hard case and luckily, the hard case is current. Great way to hold all those little parts.

And with equivalent pad grit and compound, I get the same result as I do with my full size Rupes and, quickly, too. Definitely a must have for in close polishing.

And yep, it is Verbotten to cover a car with a speck of dirt on it. :-)
I'm targeting the long neck Nano too. I think the soft or hard case comes down to how specific retailers want to package the product.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Dam it!

Now I want that thing even more!!!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I use those applicators too. I love them, just the right size.

I only use Perl occasionally for tires, preferring the Australian market NV Onyx dressing applied with a red version of that applicator sponge. Onyx is amazing stuff, giving just right amount of sheen without that slimy slick look and decent longevity considering it water based formulation. If you ever manage to find some in the US, you will not be disappointed!
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/nv-car-care/products/nv-onyx-tyre-dressing

may58.jpg

For reference, this is what 303 looks like on tires. Being water based like Perl, it won't last long. If you are anything like me, I love apply tire dressing so longevity is not an issue.

apr227.jpg

apr226.jpg

And would you believe I have my eye set on a Rupes Ibrid Nano too. I'm waiting for my preferred supplier to have them back in stock. Did you go for the short or long neck version?
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/buffing-machines-kits/products/rupes-bigfoot-nano-ibrid

We have wandered a little off topic LOL, but hey, you have to have a shiny clean car before you put a cover on it right? :wink:
The topic is somewhat related. The question was what dressing you can use without getting black tire marks all over your cover.

I need to find some of those sponges. I'll look on amazon. The Perl came today.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Tom: If you have a spare squeeze bottle, put the undiluted Perl in that and then cover the square foam pad to about 80 percent coverage. Work it in to the foam with your fingers and then apply. I find that using two directions of movement with the foam or even circular movement over text on the tire, can get the excess out of the nooks and crannies.

Give it twenty minutes or so in your humid air and then buff with a cheap MF. Here are the pads if you didn't look yet.
Sponsored