GT500 “in transit” turned to “in crash”

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Betcha there’s an Career opening for a Driver after that.... oooofa....
Stuff happens. If it was an accident and I was his boss, I wouldn't fire him.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Stuff happens.
Tom: I agree, as long as alcohol or reckless driving weren't involved. As you said, accidents happen and I feel for that poor driver.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom: I agree, as long as alcohol or reckless driving weren't involved. As you said, accidents happen and I feel for that poor driver.
Who said anything about alcohol or drugs? Why would you even bring that up? Do you suspect that employee was using drugs or alcohol? Why bring that into the picture?

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Why bring that into the picture?
I did a poor job of making my point, Tom...to wit...I am behind your statement not to fire the guy if it was an accident but I would dismiss the man if it was shown that he was illegally intoxicated or was charged with reckless operation. I was not by any means suggesting that he was.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It looks like just some body panels. They are still in the custody of Ford. They have not been distributed. They were being moved to have work performed. My guess is they will be repaired and distributed just like they would have been had nothing happened.
No doubt they’ll be repaired. Question is what will happen after they’re repaired. I don’t think they can sell as new if they have to cut and weld the rear fenders. I could be wrong, but at GM, I saw cars scrapped for rear quarter damage. That or repaired and donated to universities or commissioned to yard work.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Not sure if that qualifies as a roll-over. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I've always understood that cars were totaled if any kind of roll-over occurred. I know that's insurance company rules but there's likely a reason for it. I agree that the cars will likely be repurposed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
yea, I can see how I came across that way, but then before you know it..... "did you hear? I heard the guy was drunk".

It was an accident.

Sponsored

GDub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘03 GT Drop Top
The intended owner of the Grabber Green may be one of the Ford family.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31539...arrier-crash-was-built-for-ford-family-member

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Damaged In Carrier Crash Was Built for Ford Family Member

DECEMBER 18, 2019

As with any new high-performance car, it was only a matter of time before someone crashed the 760-horsepower 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. We just weren't expecting it to happen like it did on Tuesday, when a car carrier hauling two new GT500s spun out on a Detroit highway, flipped its trailer, and dragged the poor Mustangs on their sides before grinding to a stop. Now The Drive has obtained exclusive photos of the damage and the identity of one of the unlucky owners: a member of the Ford family. Yes, the Ford family.

Despite the meme spreading around social media with an excited new owner seeing a screencap of our article, it appears the would-be owner of the Grabber Lime GT500 is not a random man named Juan Perez, but in fact the great-great grandson of founder Henry Ford himself. Pretty much a worst-case scenario for that poor truck driver.

Our source, who works in the Detroit towing industry, first passed along word that the green car was "a custom build for a close family member of Martha Ford"—billionaire businesswoman, widow of Henry Ford's grandson, and owner of the NFL's Detroit Lions. Martha Firestone Ford is also an heiress to the Firestone Tire fortune, and her son William Clay Ford, Jr. is currently the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company. We were able to confirm the tip and nail down that it was intended for one of her grandsons. If he didn't know about it beforehand, he sure does now.

For its part, Ford declined to confirm our reporting. "Ford does not comment on individual customer matters," its statement reads.

Authorities are eyeing excessive speed and an improperly balanced load as causes for the crash, something we speculated on yesterday. The 2020 Mustangs had just been built and were being transported from the Flat Rock assembly plant by Penske Vehicle Services via a fifth-wheel trailer hooked to a Ford F-350 heavy-duty pickup. In addition to the information above, the tipster passed along a few close-up photos from the scene:

overturned 2020 gt500.jpg

It's impressive how well the cars were strapped down—at least someone was doing their job. Unfortunately both still hit the pavement, flattening the passenger side fenders and scouring the paint. Both cars are also newly free of their passenger mirrors. As for what we can't see, suspension damage is all but guaranteed given the forces and angle of impact.

Our source's final bit of information might be the most tantalizing for those reading right now and dreaming of a junkyard GT500: both cars are in an indoor storage facility right now awaiting inspection by an insurance adjuster. Should Ford decide to let them go, there's a chance these two Mustangs could go for pennies on the dollar at a salvage auction.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I wouldn't mind getting one of these. Probably wouldn't baby it because of what happend to it. Just drive the f*** out of it. :wink:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)