svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
sold my 16 gtpp for an allocation on a 17 gt350 that will have zero markup but I'm also interested to know how the z51 will do against it. gm quality looks amazing and will also do 29 mpg but I'm curious how they will compare from any owners out there or from ppl that have driven both. and is mag ride needed on the vette to compare to the 350?
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The C7 without magnaride is mediocre. You really need the magnaride to compete with the GT350 -they put down the same lap time on a road course.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I'd rather have a corvette honestly, but that's just me. I've only ever rode in a c7, not driven, but it was very nice inside and I absolutely love targa tops. I miss t tops in my old cars. Benefits of a convertible without the ugly tops. I also am leery of the FPC's longevity, FPC motors have never been known to be reliable, but that could also be due to the manufacturers in general.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
There are probably similar threads floating around, but here are my thoughts.

First, Ford says the GT350 is as fast as a C7 Z51, but C&D was about a second slower in the GT350 in their comparison article. My guess is that the C7 is probably a little faster overall, but not by much.

I drove the C7 for three days at the Ron Fellows school, and it is an awesome car. It has a very sporty seating position, looks very good overall, is relatively light, gets very good fuel economy, and has as much luxury as you care to have. The targa top is a nice feature, but also can get lead to creaks and rattles. The car is very well balanced and easy to drive fast. The rev matching on the stick shift can be a benefit in certain situations (and is easily defeatable if you don't want it on) and the PDR track recorder is a great feature.

There were only a couple things I didn't love. First, the brakes are a bit weak for track duty according to several on the Corvette Forums. Second, the oil cooling left a bit to be desired, and finally the engine gets soft at the top of the RPM range. In daily driving I think it would be excellent, but on the track the feeling was noticeable and took away some of the fun. Overall it is an amazing car.

The GT350 is similar in speed (I think probably a little slower), isn't nearly as luxurious, has a more "normal" driving position, and doesn't get as good fuel economy. However, it is also less expensive, has a very racy feeling engine, has rear seats, and IMO the Recaro seats on the GT350 are better than the Competition seats on the C7. It also has better stock brakes, and better cooling as long as you have the track pack or a 2017 model.

I think the two handle a bit differently as well. I felt like the C7 was better balanced and was easier to rotate under nuetral throttle whereas the GT350 would push a little. However, add some trail braking and the GT350 rotates very well, even in very tight corners.

I really like both cars, and if the C7 grand sport had been available when I got the GT350 I might have gone for that. However, I love the simplicity of the GT350, I love the engine, I love the rear seats, and I love that I can keep it totally stock and have a great time at the track. I think the overall look is cleaner and more elegant than the C7 as well. I really wish it had the rev matching option and the PDR, but that's it.

Also, the C7 Z51 would have been about $10,000 more than what I paid for the GT350, and the GS would probably be another $5000 over that.

I think the GT350 is also more special not only because of the limited numbers, but also because of the engine, which I think will be the last of its kind (high revving naturally aspirated V8) at least in a relatively inexpensive vehicle. I think the SBC will stick around, but GM doesn't seem to be able to make a new LS7 equivalent. Ford will probably continue with the Coyote for the Mustang, but I due to cost and emissions, I think the engine will be optimized for a lower redline (7000 or less) and more torque. Eventually we will see turbo V6's that perform much better, but which may not be as engaging.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either car, it's more about which aspects you really want to optimize. I wanted the special engine, the rear seats, and the big brakes and extra cooling, which made the GT350 an easy choice. I figure the vette will still be around in 15 years, and by then I'll be old enough, bald enough, and have enough gold chains to really be ready for one. :)

-T

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I was cross shopping a Z51 along with the GT350 Track Pack. I could have gotten a base Z51 coupe for a few grand less, but it sounds like you would need to spring for the mag ride to get an equivalent ride. With all the Corvette discounts that can be had, I figure the 350 would holds its value much better. It's definitely a more special car and won't be built in the same quantities that the C7 is. I see C7's everywhere. I'm the only 350 around. Have yet to see another on the road.

Sponsored

RidetechJosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 LX Mustang, 2003 Mach 1
There are probably similar threads floating around, but here are my thoughts.

First, Ford says the GT350 is as fast as a C7 Z51, but C&D was about a second slower in the GT350 in their comparison article. My guess is that the C7 is probably a little faster overall, but not by much.

I drove the C7 for three days at the Ron Fellows school, and it is an awesome car. It has a very sporty seating position, looks very good overall, is relatively light, gets very good fuel economy, and has as much luxury as you care to have. The targa top is a nice feature, but also can get lead to creaks and rattles. The car is very well balanced and easy to drive fast. The rev matching on the stick shift can be a benefit in certain situations (and is easily defeatable if you don't want it on) and the PDR track recorder is a great feature.

There were only a couple things I didn't love. First, the brakes are a bit weak for track duty according to several on the Corvette Forums. Second, the oil cooling left a bit to be desired, and finally the engine gets soft at the top of the RPM range. In daily driving I think it would be excellent, but on the track the feeling was noticeable and took away some of the fun. Overall it is an amazing car.

The GT350 is similar in speed (I think probably a little slower), isn't nearly as luxurious, has a more "normal" driving position, and doesn't get as good fuel economy. However, it is also less expensive, has a very racy feeling engine, has rear seats, and IMO the Recaro seats on the GT350 are better than the Competition seats on the C7. It also has better stock brakes, and better cooling as long as you have the track pack or a 2017 model.

I think the two handle a bit differently as well. I felt like the C7 was better balanced and was easier to rotate under nuetral throttle whereas the GT350 would push a little. However, add some trail braking and the GT350 rotates very well, even in very tight corners.

I really like both cars, and if the C7 grand sport had been available when I got the GT350 I might have gone for that. However, I love the simplicity of the GT350, I love the engine, I love the rear seats, and I love that I can keep it totally stock and have a great time at the track. I think the overall look is cleaner and more elegant than the C7 as well. I really wish it had the rev matching option and the PDR, but that's it.

Also, the C7 Z51 would have been about $10,000 more than what I paid for the GT350, and the GS would probably be another $5000 over that.

I think the GT350 is also more special not only because of the limited numbers, but also because of the engine, which I think will be the last of its kind (high revving naturally aspirated V8) at least in a relatively inexpensive vehicle. I think the SBC will stick around, but GM doesn't seem to be able to make a new LS7 equivalent. Ford will probably continue with the Coyote for the Mustang, but I due to cost and emissions, I think the engine will be optimized for a lower redline (7000 or less) and more torque. Eventually we will see turbo V6's that perform much better, but which may not be as engaging.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either car, it's more about which aspects you really want to optimize. I wanted the special engine, the rear seats, and the big brakes and extra cooling, which made the GT350 an easy choice. I figure the vette will still be around in 15 years, and by then I'll be old enough, bald enough, and have enough gold chains to really be ready for one. :)

-T
What he said! :cheers:

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
When I was looking for a 350 and was failing miserably I looked into getting a Vette as well.

The thing is that to me it is not a special car, it's seen everywhere.

I can't even count how many times I've had people of all ages follow me off the freeway or on my way to dinner to ask about the car.

Also being how track focused the car is really amazing, it really drives well.

Trackaholic mentioned the brakes, they are confidence inspiring and are really hard to beat. I have two brake companies that I work with that are making replacement brake kits available for this car soon.

I've told them "goodluck"!

Last but not least is the sound, you can put a cam in the Vette, exhaust, headers and it will never sound this good.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
z51 is faster, i was barely able to keep up with it in a long back straight, for sure i was not able to pass him. however, the OHV engine is not as free- reviing as the voodoo, nor anywhere as special.

over all z51 is a faster car. less power but more tq and less weight.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The C7 without magnaride is mediocre. You really need the magnaride to compete with the GT350 -they put down the same lap time on a road course.
No it is not. I have driven on street and on track C7 Z51 with and without magnetic suspension/PTM, and the standard Z51 is actually a very well dampened car. I actually prefer it on track (though the difference is small).

The GT350, which i have driven on track, but not on the street, is no where near as fast, balanced or easy to drive as the C7 Z51. It works OK on average corners, but it is handicapped in transitions (e.g. S turns, cresting hills, braking over undulating pavement, etc).

Also, consumables for the Z51 on track are cheap - $90 rotors, easy to change 4 piston Brembos front and back are a joy - push the pin replace the pads.

The GT350 is a great looking and special car. But it will have problem keeping up with a Camaro SS, let alone a C7 Z51.

You don not need to spend extra money on the C7's Mag Ride/PTM. Standard C51 handles better on track and is much more comfortable on the road than the GT350 - by a mile.

Disclaimer - I moved from a 2012 Mustang GT with adjustable aftermarket suspension, a bit more power and track tires/brakes to a C51 C7 where the only thing I changed were the brake pads. I am an HPDE instructor and casual road course racer. It is very hard to beat the C7 Z51 for the money on track.

Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
So you're saying you wash it quite a bit? :D
Good catch!!! I'm not even going to try to edit.

To answer your question, don't wash it nearly as much as I should :)

15_gtpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB gt pp
Im looking at trading my 15 gt pp in on either a gt350 or a c7 z51. I can get a 2014 z51 for around 49 about 11 grand cheaper than if i can find a sticker gt350. Im really leaning towards the z51 as it does perform better in pretty much every aspect and it saves me over 10g. But interested in hearing from people who have driven both. Also feel that my gt feels sluggish in low rpms is the gt350 worse? If so that might make my decision for me.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
But interested in hearing from people who have driven both.
Ive driven GTPP extensively (3 years of ownership) and GT350 a little and C7 Z51(1 year + of ownership), and many other sports/sporty cars on street and track.

My take is this. The GT350 is Ford's attempt at talking the Mustang as far as it can possibly go. It is by far the best the Mustang has ever been. And it is special for that. HOWEVER, that is a "bag of parts" car. Stick a better engine in the front. Put bigger brakes. Stiffen the suspension and attach points front/back. Etc. You can feel that the car is a bag of parts.

The C7 Stingray (base or Z51) is a holistically designed car. Totally new aluminum chassis, largely new engine, new transmission, proper aerodynamics, low CG, proper out of the box rigidity. The C7 base/Z51 just works. You feel it is a single unit, not a bag of parts.

The C7 steering is miles better than the GT350. It handles great with skinny 245 tires, because the car was designed correctly. It has the weight (51%) back where it belongs, so it does not need massive front tires to work. Massive front tires just ruin everything in terms of steering feel and precision.

The C7 is incredibly more comfortable than the GT350. The C7 does not need super stiff suspension to keep weight and poor chassis in check. It works well at normal spring/shock rates.

The e-diff running (aided by proper weight distribution) in the C7 is a marvel. you can put so much power down out of corners - it is unreal. Not so in the GT350.

Again, no knock on the GT350. It is the best Mustang ever and it is special.

It is just not a cohesive, well balanced, sports car.

The C7 is.

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
The only problem that i have with the GT350/GT50R it's low on power and TQ to me it should have had at the least 600 to 630 HP that's the car biggest downfall

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
The only problem that i have with the GT350/GT50R it's low on power and TQ to me it should have had at the least 600 to 630 HP that's the car biggest downfall
526 HP is low on power?? :doh:
Sponsored