Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
FYI. Your not going to lower the 5.2 3/4" with lowering motor mounts without the oil pan hitting the K member. I wouldn't even lower it a 1/2". Lowering it a 1/4" is where I'd stop. I know the lowering mounts are urethane and flex less, but you only have 3/4" or less of oil pan to K member clearance with the stock motor mounts.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
We're not real sure how durable the transmission will be pushing the power we're pushing, or even less than we're making, but first gear is an absolute bitch for drag racing.

in a good way or bad way? I'm assuming bad because the gear is so damn long.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
in a good way or bad way? I'm assuming bad because the gear is so damn long.

It's not just the gear, Nick. Don't forget the 8,250rpm redline. A regular GT with that redline would seem like it has a pretty tall 1st gear as well.

GT: 3.66 1st gear with 27.7" tires and 7,000rpm redline:
  • 42mph
GT with 3.25 1st gear, everything else the same:

• 48mph
GT with 3.66 1st gear and 8,250rpm redline:
  • 49mph

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Better pick yourself up a rear gear, and most likely a clutch.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The reared will handle it... I believe the Tremec will as well. I'm thinking the weak link in the whole process will be the human being behind the project always wanting more out of a system unintended for such a purpose.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The reared will handle it... I believe the Tremec will as well. I'm thinking the weak link in the whole process will be the human being behind the project always wanting more out of a system unintended for such a purpose.
The gear had nothing to do with strength, it does havet to do with the fact from the factory 1st is entirely too tall for drag racing. Watch lethals videos where the clutch is smoking and slipping after launch the entire way down the track.

Ford has hammered it home several times that this car was not intended to drag race. Of course people still want to do so. Just as recent as Jay Leno's video on the R Jamal bats down the question of 1/4 mile times. Leno asked what the car did in the 1/4 and Jamal replied low 12's maybe high 11's.. the car just isn't built for drag racing.

If you're planning on boosting this engine make sure you have a good supply of e85 or some type of race gas, otherwise for reliability sake boost would be very limited.

Ford does sell the block and heads now and has a cam kit that will allow you to run a crossplane crank. The power numbers they posted at PRI with these components and a cj intake were higher than that of the gt350 naturally aspirated. The benefit of doing that would be you can sell off your 5.0l fund a portion of the 5.2l and outfit the appropriate pistons for a compression ratio suitable for street duty on pump fuels other than e85.
Sponsored