Sponsored

GT350 TB with '18 Manifold

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Couple years ago when I bought my 5.0 I got the Power Pack 2 (GT350 throttlebody, intake, and Ford Racing tune).

I'm considering switching to ported '18 manifold and a different tune (possibly Lund or AED). Would I be able to keep the GT350 throttle body or do I have to switch back to stock?

Anyone gone similar route from Ford's Power Pack to '18 manifold and aftermarket tune?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I just dumped the Procal tune and went with Lund Flex/e75r. Tried the GT350 TB but it was quite jerky at low speed, then switched back to stock TB, all good. I’m still on 2017 intake and might go with an 18 at some stage.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
They'll probably advise you to use the stock throttle body. You can use the GT350 TB, but I've heard they don't work quite as well when tuning on the 18 manifold as a stock one does.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Alright, thanks guys. Good thing I kept my stock TB around.

I guess the only other thing is I'd have to get a different intake or get some kind of an adapter for GT350 intake to stock TB.

Sponsored

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Alright, thanks guys. Good thing I kept my stock TB around.

I guess the only other thing is I'd have to get a different intake or get some kind of an adapter for GT350 intake to stock TB.
It really depends on which tuner you decide to go with. If you decide to go with Lund, you definitely want to go back to the stock TB for the reasons mentioned above. On the other hand, AED has been able to squeeze out even more power out of the gt350 TB with no drivability issues for the most part. Either way, if you decide to go back to the stock TB, it’s not going to be an earthshattering loss.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
. On the other hand, AED has been able to squeeze out even more power out of the gt350 TB with no drivability issues for the most part.
I'd disagree. It was drivable but had an unstable idle and very nonlinear with its torque delivery. I asked Shaun for a change to the stock TB and it drives perfectly. He even explained exactly why the GT350 TB drives like that. The angle of the blade when closed is like 30 deg from vertical, so for even in the first few degrees of opening, flow increases dramatically.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd disagree. It was drivable but had an unstable idle and very nonlinear with its torque delivery. I asked Shaun for a change to the stock TB and it drives perfectly. He even explained exactly why the GT350 TB drives like that. The angle of the blade when closed is like 30 deg from vertical, so for even in the first few degrees of opening, flow increases dramatically.
There’s been quite a few people who’ve gone from the pp2 tune to AED’s tune. You’re one of the few who did not find the drivability acceptable. Even though, you’re not losing much by going back to the stock TB.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There’s been quite a few people who’ve gone from the pp2 tune to AED’s tune. You’re one of the few who did not find the drivability acceptable. Even though, you’re not losing much by going back to the stock TB.
I'm aware, and am probably more sensitive/attuned to things than most. The only other explanation is the MMR adapter+TB joints weren't sealing perfectly, as it did seem to hunt for its STFT and LTFT more than it should. I did everything one would do to check for leaks though, and none indicated. Switching to the stock TB resolved every issue I had when I did my 2018 manifold swap.

I know I'm not missing much at all, and smaller TBs provide a small increase in response and low end torque at the expense of a tad bit of top end flow.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
you’re not losing much by going back to the stock TB.
That's probably true. I was mostly wondering if it's possible to keep the GT350 TB and get a little more power, but if that power comes at the expense of driveability/reliability then I'm ok going with stock. In case I do go with AED I guess I have the option of trying both, GT350 and stock TBs.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's probably true. I was mostly wondering if it's possible to keep the GT350 TB and get a little more power, but if that power comes at the expense of driveability/reliability then I'm ok going with stock. In case I do go with AED I guess I have the option of trying both, GT350 and stock TBs.
For an extra $100, yes. I would recommend the stock TB.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
You’ll see a gain if you send the stock TB to Bret Barber for his 5 axis CNC throttle body magic.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
BmacIL, do you think ditching the gt350 intake for an 18' stock intake to match up to the 18 mani would be worth it? lower IATs . I have the PP2 kit not installed. I would rather sell the kit and buy an 18' intake if I go 18' mani. Just have Shaun dyno tune those. Wondering if I could skate past CARB visually with looking more OEM.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BmacIL, do you think ditching the gt350 intake for an 18' stock intake to match up to the 18 mani would be worth it? lower IATs . I have the PP2 kit not installed. I would rather sell the kit and buy an 18' intake if I go 18' mani. Just have Shaun dyno tune those. Wondering if I could skate past CARB visually with looking more OEM.
It would be a good combo. Might lose a small amount of power up top vs something with more filter area, but probably small enough. If you have to tailpipe test, you won't pass. If you just need all monitors to check out, you'd be fine with either intake. Mine is good to go there.
Sponsored