GT350 shifter from MGW almost here...

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
is this at a shop or at your house?

If so you should have one of these.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200641733_200641733?hotline=false

The transmission jack I though you were talking about is a low one.

With a 4 post this is what you need.
This is my house.

Due to the ceiling restrictions, I can only have about 38" of room under the car with the lift.

I have a rolling scissor jack (see picture). The issue is (or maybe its not an issue), as you can imagine the jack sits level with the runways and is about 3" from the exhaust pipes. That means in the best case scenario, I can lower the transmission by that much. This is why I wanted to ask how much you lower it because I dont want to spend another $200 on top of $1200 I spent for this rolling jack.

[MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION], I could do that yes but how stable will that be? Also, are you saying you have to lower it 6"? :)
image.jpeg
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yup I use 4 posts all the time. It's a love hate thing.

The thing I linked you with will come in hand a lot

It's basically an extra set of hands and will not be in the way like your rolling jack will be

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

It's basically an extra set of hands and will not be in the way like your rolling jack will be
Probably you are right but I will try to make do with rolling jack and if not ephipany's advice of 4x4 on a floor jack. I spent so much money already another $200 is too much. Plus hardly any space left in my garage to even walk!:) I already bought a 2 ton crane to install the lift:)

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Also noticed that jack goes to 48" lowest, i cannot have more than 36-38" under the car due to ceiling. So my backup will have to be floor jack.

I ll build a custom adapter from 4x4 so it grabs the trans and floor jack and doesnt move around.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Don't overcomplicate the simple solution suggestion I made. Cut the lumber as I indicated so that you can both raise and lower the trans as well as being able to slide it into place or remove it. Place the jack so the lift point is directly beneath where you wish to make contact with the trans. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

And if you can't manage that without any modicum of safety you probably shouldn't be doing any work to your own vehicle.

ON EDIT....you could also place a 4x4 across the channels that are used for your rolling jack, place a bottle jack atop of that horizontally placed 4x4, and use a much shorter length of lumber placed vertically between the jack and the trans.

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Don't overcomplicate the simple solution suggestion I made. Cut the lumber as I indicated so that you can both raise and lower the trans as well as being able to slide it into place or remove it. Place the jack so the lift point is directly beneath where you wish to make contact with the trans. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

And if you can't manage that without any modicum of safety you probably shouldn't be doing any work to your own vehicle.

ON EDIT....you could also place a 4x4 across the channels that are used for your rolling jack, place a bottle jack atop of that horizontally placed 4x4, and use a much shorter length of lumber placed vertically between the jack and the trans.
I will do that (the first one - I dont think second one with bottle jack will give any more clearance than rolling jack).

I think I wont need this though because 3" will be plenty I think. I seem to remember George saying you need "couple of inches" in the first MGW video. I also think too much is bad for the engine mounts anyways?

I did exhaust/brake work before as well as plugs and standard maintenance work. Nothing like this though, never lowered or dismounted transmission.

I was planning on using that rolling jack in the future for changing the clutch as well but I dont know if thats possible at all.

Note: I do like overthinking things. I actually enjoy it. I m obsessed about this stuff. You need to see how I routed my hoses for the lift, rolling jack, lubrication station and reel:)

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I got the car out of hibernation on april 1st anf got a chance to try out the MGW shifter. Impressed at the feel and precision of the shifts. I went to dealer today for oil line recall and I sat in a GT350 in the showroom with stock shifter and the side by side comparison is even more convincing to pull the triiger.

I did not push the car hard since it's cold and roads are still not cleaned up.

I do feel a slight vibration on the right side bolster of my seat at arround 4000 rpm... no vibration in shift knob...

Where should I feel this vibration if it was to be present? hard accel vs normal accel? RPM range?

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I just installed mine on Monday. My body is still recovering. I did these step by step instructions to go with the latest video. One may find them helpful.

The scissors jack I refer to was the jack that came with my first car, a 1976 Datsun 280Z. The transmission lowers about 3", before you prop it back up a 1/4" or so.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the exhaust kind of lowers with the trans.

The shift action is precise and feels great. I haven't noticed any new resonances in the interior, but there is definitely more vibration felt through the gear shift, not annoying, but adds to the mechanical feel.

Attachments

Last edited:

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My kit has another pad in addition to the heat pad with mgw logos on it. Its a bit smaller. Where does this one go and what is it for?
Sponsored