Sponsored

GT350 or BMW M4

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
GT350 hands down.

The M4 is potent, but if it's 4-series bones are anything to go by (and I've driven those), the M4 probably isn't all that engaging. I haven't driven the M TT, but all the reviews certainly make that point as well.
Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
No but have put E46's, and 92's through racing. I'm guessing you're assuming that I have this thing against M cars. You'd be far from accurate. I want an E46 terribadly.
Just wondering.

I didn't know what the magic was about Porsche's were until I drove a 997.1 Turbo in 2007, then subsequently drove different friends' GT2s, GT3s and Caymans through last year. Suffice to say I'm a Porsche fan now.

I'm sure the GT350 is fantastic, but the M4 suits my needs better.

If I was purchasing now, I'd probably have an M2/M3/M4 along with a GT350, but the M2 and GT350 were not available when I was in the market in 2014.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
It is quite nice. I love how they placed the carbon trim. However for 80K, I'd expect the interior to be ahead.
Exactly - for 80k I wouldn't even consider a M4, I seriously can't imagine paying more than maybe 35k for a BMW (plenty of nice E92 M3's in that range)

If I wanted to spend another 80k on a car I would shoot far higher - used R8, GT3 (997.1), Viper GTS etc.

OP
OP

masar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Petr
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Lightning Blue, 2017 AG Raptor
Thanks for so many opinions. To answer some of your questions or notes i put it into this message instead to answer individually.

I own M4 for 17 months now and i did over 30 000 km (aprox 20K miles) in the car so i can say i know the car well. I must say i never push car to its limit so i am sure i don't know its potential. Never been on track with it although i track my previous cars a lot. I am just not so crazy about cars anymore as i was some years ago. I ride also Harley bike to have fun and wilth all this speed regulations and police waiting everywhere, it brings me more fun than car and less tickets :). But i want car which will have soul, will be some kind of special and put smile on my face always i see it and drive it. And i use it as daily driver. I use with family my GFs Volvo XC60. Currently decided to get that Ford Raptor for family and winter driving. And M4 does not give me this feeling.

I remember when i purchased the car new in 2015 - i never felt so exited compare my other cars and since that i keep saying to myself - come on its great car, what else you should buy? And true is that currently i don't see any coupe car on market which would be better and there is no other option than M4 for me. RS5 too old, C63 AMG coupe still not available and did not convinced me for that money, 911 - I owned 997 and similar feeling like M4. GT3 is different league but too expansive for me... Only the GT350 seems to me as option.

Actually i think that GT350 in Europe will hold its value much more than BMW, Porsche and any EU car. Especially R model would by very special and even it means pay over MSRP now, i am sure it will not lose its value at all. I can compare to Ferrari 360 i owned with 360 Challenge Stradale. 5 years ago was Stradale for price around 100K euros and less and cheaper than F430, today is 200K eurous and even more and F430 cost less than half.... I am i think same will be with R.

As i specified my previous cars i owned it can make feel someone that i am rich guy. But i am not. I mean i am doing well but to own italian cars was big financial effort for me and i was little bit crazy if i see it from todays perspective.

Actually interesting to read opinion of people who previously owned M. Of course here on 35OGT forum i expect the answer i get :) But what is interesting that even on M3/M4 forum is GT350 described like great car which is not always same with other competitors :)

OP
OP

masar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Petr
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Lightning Blue, 2017 AG Raptor
I drove past the Ford dealer near the airport a few weeks ago and noticed they had several Mustangs on the lot (and a huge Mustang billboard sign). Is that where the GT350 will be? It will be in May? If so and you are unable to see the one there, PM me and maybe we can arrange something.
Actually this Ford dealer sells only standard Mustangs - GT 5.0 or Ecoboost. Its official authorized Ford dealer and they do not offer GT350. GT350 is not officially for EU market so no chance to get it officialy thru Ford. And even you want just Mustang, only 3 Ford dealers in Czech have permission to sell it and cars are sold out for few months in advance..... That GT350 is coming to US car dealer - probably first and only GT350 in country at the moment. Its red 2016 with tech package.

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Exactly - for 80k I wouldn't even consider a M4, I seriously can't imagine paying more than maybe 35k for a BMW (plenty of nice E92 M3's in that range)

If I wanted to spend another 80k on a car I would shoot far higher - used R8, GT3 (997.1), Viper GTS etc.
For $80K for an M3/M4, I'd go for a 2013 ish Panamera Turbo myself. Big thunderous turbo v8, best dual clutch around, great interior, and none of the understeer the big audi's have.

Kinda a boring choice, but 11 second 5dr hatchbacks are just kinda special.

E63 wagon would also be nice but Mercedes makes used car buying a process of gambling on not if, but how many ulcers its going to give you. Wallet definitely won't survive.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just wondering.

I'm sure the GT350 is fantastic, but the M4 suits my needs better.
Fair dice.

Maybe my bias is also because of such high expectation too. The E46 is just such an attached machine and the E92 is so angry yet focused (press "M", put your foot down). I expected the M4 to be another great leap towards driving bliss but the front end felt a little like my S197 (detached) and the rear end felt, I don't know, kinda like dragging a tail? It would point and shoot but it felt like everything had this kinda delay mode in communication.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You could also buy two fully optioned R's for the price of an M4 GTS. For $135K or whatever it is, it better out perform another performance coupe half its cost.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I currently have a LCI E92 M3, and a GT350 tech.

In terms of engine, I would say M3 is more special. It has a lighter crank, 44lbs vs. 50lbs of voodoo, way shorter stroke meaning faster rev up, and also 8 ITBs. the response is not close, s65b40 wins hands down. also the induction noise is something else. when i gun it i hear more of an induction noise than exhaust, which is very unique these days.

However, that response comes at a cost of lower tq, you have nothing under 4k rpm. from 4k to 8.3k is pure sex. for DD duty it is not as fun unless you rev it up at all gears.

Voodoo's advantage is bigger displacement and much more tq due to its square piston design. It is a great engine no doubt making amazing exhaust notes, but it is certainly not as refined as the S65 (not as smooth, due to FPC). I like it a lot, it is more DD friendly but I am not sure it is a better engine than say the old M5's v10 with 10itbs and over 500hp n/a, which was engine of the year for many years in a row.

Last but not least, when I take it to the track, I will be setting my limiter to under 7000rpm, the stroke is long for the gt350, at 8250rpm you are talking about extremely high piston speeds, and I do not want to risk it.

Long story short, it is a great car without a doubt I enjoy it very much turns heads everywhere, the bargain of the century at its current price point. If you can get it at a reasonable price, you should.

Thanks for so many opinions. To answer some of your questions or notes i put it into this message instead to answer individually.

I own M4 for 17 months now and i did over 30 000 km (aprox 20K miles) in the car so i can say i know the car well. I must say i never push car to its limit so i am sure i don't know its potential. Never been on track with it although i track my previous cars a lot. I am just not so crazy about cars anymore as i was some years ago. I ride also Harley bike to have fun and wilth all this speed regulations and police waiting everywhere, it brings me more fun than car and less tickets :). But i want car which will have soul, will be some kind of special and put smile on my face always i see it and drive it. And i use it as daily driver. I use with family my GFs Volvo XC60. Currently decided to get that Ford Raptor for family and winter driving. And M4 does not give me this feeling.

I remember when i purchased the car new in 2015 - i never felt so exited compare my other cars and since that i keep saying to myself - come on its great car, what else you should buy? And true is that currently i don't see any coupe car on market which would be better and there is no other option than M4 for me. RS5 too old, C63 AMG coupe still not available and did not convinced me for that money, 911 - I owned 997 and similar feeling like M4. GT3 is different league but too expansive for me... Only the GT350 seems to me as option.

Actually i think that GT350 in Europe will hold its value much more than BMW, Porsche and any EU car. Especially R model would by very special and even it means pay over MSRP now, i am sure it will not lose its value at all. I can compare to Ferrari 360 i owned with 360 Challenge Stradale. 5 years ago was Stradale for price around 100K euros and less and cheaper than F430, today is 200K eurous and even more and F430 cost less than half.... I am i think same will be with R.

As i specified my previous cars i owned it can make feel someone that i am rich guy. But i am not. I mean i am doing well but to own italian cars was big financial effort for me and i was little bit crazy if i see it from todays perspective.

Actually interesting to read opinion of people who previously owned M. Of course here on 35OGT forum i expect the answer i get :) But what is interesting that even on M3/M4 forum is GT350 described like great car which is not always same with other competitors :)

Sponsored

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
agreed, but my point is you can get to gts -type of performance for under 7k-8k by getting the factory performance pack which is 444hp, and a stage 1 tune.

the car is a monster, straight line or track.

You could also buy two fully optioned R's for the price of an M4 GTS. For $135K or whatever it is, it better out perform another performance coupe half its cost.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I currently have a LCI E92 M3, and a GT350 tech.

In terms of engine, I would say M3 is more special. It has a lighter crank, 44lbs vs. 50lbs of voodoo, way shorter stroke meaning faster rev up, and also 8 ITBs. the response is not close, s65b40 wins hands down. also the induction noise is something else. when i gun it i hear more of an induction noise than exhaust, which is very unique these days.

However, that response comes at a cost of lower tq, you have nothing under 4k rpm. from 4k to 8.3k is pure sex. for DD duty it is not as fun unless you rev it up at all gears.

Voodoo's advantage is bigger displacement and much more tq due to its square piston design. It is a great engine no doubt making amazing exhaust notes, but it is certainly not as refined as the S65 (not as smooth, due to FPC). I like it a lot, it is more DD friendly but I am not sure it is a better engine than say the old M5's v10 with 10itbs and over 500hp n/a, which was engine of the year for many years in a row.

Last but not least, when I take it to the track, I will be setting my limiter to under 7000rpm, the stroke is long for the gt350, at 8250rpm you are talking about extremely high piston speeds, and I do not want to risk it.

Long story short, it is a great car without a doubt I enjoy it very much turns heads everywhere, the bargain of the century at its current price point. If you can get it at a reasonable price, you should.
I'd say go for the extended warranty @ 7-8 years, and risk it! :cheers:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Again, you guys are talking about this smoothness thing (or lack there of) in the Voodoo. Am I missing something? I've never felt a single jitter or jerk from my engine. It doesn't run lopey or typical Ford Modular like. Maybe the aluminum strut tower brace is making a difference vs the steel units in the Tech Pack cars...? I know that's a long shot but just an idea.

Regardless, the S65 is one of my favorite V8's I've ever experienced. Downshifts are uncontrollably addicting with the DCT.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
My vote is the GT350.....if the M4 was a much fun to drive as it is to look at..I would say the M4....but you will never get bored with the GT350..if you do..you need to start taking stronger anti depressant drugs..lol......with this GT350 you should be able to get off meds all together..lol

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Again, you guys are talking about this smoothness thing (or lack there of) in the Voodoo. Am I missing something? I've never felt a single jitter or jerk from my engine. It doesn't run lopey or typical Ford Modular like. Maybe the aluminum strut tower brace is making a difference vs the steel units in the Tech Pack cars...? I know that's a long shot but just an idea.

Regardless, the S65 is one of my favorite V8's I've ever experienced. Downshifts are uncontrollably addicting with the DCT.
Yah i've got no clue what they are talking about either - i've got a Track Pack GT350 and the engine is silk smooth.
Sponsored