Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT in Grabber Lime Green
Hey ya'll

I bought my used GT350 3 months ago and it came with a 3 month warranty. about a month ago I started noticing some fluctuating in the a/c. Took it to a Ford dealer to use the warranty and they determined it was the Evaporator Casing. Well, surprise surprise the warranty only covers the Evaporator (core) they said and not the casing. After a few days of me and the dealer speaking / arguing / pleading with them, the end result is a big "Not Covered".

Now I have to decide what to do. Dealer is charging me $1,900 if I decide to have them do it or $450 diagnostic fee if I decide to have them put it back together and take it somewhere else. I know dealers charge more but they are saying this job is extensive and requires the dash to be pulled out, which I am worried of just having anyone else do it.

What prices have you guys seen out there to replace this? Is that price too high?
Would you trust an independent mechanic to do this or would you only have the dealer do it?
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They are correct about the dash - but these cars are KNOWN for an issue with the evap core leaks and there have been a few revisions. My 16R had it done and FWIW, it came out fine.

They can make it hard on you by playing games. You can ask them what are the symptoms of the "case" problem they refer to - as the core leaking would result in less gas in the system - and they CAN evacuate that gas and measure it to determine if there is a leak. The case itself does not contain any refrigerant so that should not result in a leak. Most importantly, how did they diagnose that it was NOT the core leaking if they dash is not already out of the car? It really sounds like they just did a quick look and now want $450 if ytou don't get it fixed there...AND they want to not honor a warranty. Was the warranty with that dealer, as in, the dealer has to pay for this repair.

Super strange.

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the response! Yea they say it’s two separate parts and that in this case the evap casing is leaking as that is causing the fluctuation.
They did say that once the work is started if they also see that there is an issue with the evap core then they can go back to the warranty but for now it is being denied by the the warranty people.

The warranty is from autonation and this is an autonation Ford I have it at but it’s not the dealer I bought it from.
The warranty is assurant I believe.
It’s BS but the warranty won’t budge on their answer plus it expires on Thursday so I think I’m out of luck there.

Do you all think that price is fair or am I getting an elevated price from the dealer?
If I pay the $450 and take somewhere else will I end up paying the same $1,900?

They are correct about the dash - but these cars are KNOWN for an issue with the evap core leaks and there have been a few revisions. My 16R had it done and FWIW, it came out fine.

They can make it hard on you by playing games. You can ask them what are the symptoms of the "case" problem they refer to - as the core leaking would result in less gas in the system - and they CAN evacuate that gas and measure it to determine if there is a leak. The case itself does not contain any refrigerant so that should not result in a leak. Most importantly, how did they diagnose that it was NOT the core leaking if they dash is not already out of the car? It really sounds like they just did a quick look and now want $450 if ytou don't get it fixed there...AND they want to not honor a warranty. Was the warranty with that dealer, as in, the dealer has to pay for this repair.

Super strange.

Last edited:

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i am curious about this coverage denial though. click on this link and then go to A/C:

https://fordprotect.ford.com/compare-plans

even the "base" plan covers the "evaporator" but does not specify core or casing. how is the casing not covered? isn't it just part of the evaporator? the only part not covered by the "base" plan is the "ac accumulator". i dont know how often that part goes bad though...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Hey ya'll

I bought my used GT350 3 months ago and it came with a 3 month warranty. about a month ago I started noticing some fluctuating in the a/c. Took it to a Ford dealer to use the warranty and they determined it was the Evaporator Casing. Well, surprise surprise the warranty only covers the Evaporator (core) they said and not the casing. After a few days of me and the dealer speaking / arguing / pleading with them, the end result is a big "Not Covered".

Now I have to decide what to do. Dealer is charging me $1,900 if I decide to have them do it or $450 diagnostic fee if I decide to have them put it back together and take it somewhere else. I know dealers charge more but they are saying this job is extensive and requires the dash to be pulled out, which I am worried of just having anyone else do it.

What prices have you guys seen out there to replace this? Is that price too high?
Would you trust an independent mechanic to do this or would you only have the dealer do it?
Sounds like It’s a fair price for a dealer in a metro area and if it were me, I wouldn’t want my car taken apart twice. You can also try to contact Ford. Maybe they’ll help you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
That has been my argument with them from the beginning but no budge on their end. They say the casing is different from the core and they cover the core and not the casing.

Crazy but all just a loop hole to not pay for it.

i am curious about this coverage denial though. click on this link and then go to A/C:

https://fordprotect.ford.com/compare-plans

even the "base" plan covers the "evaporator" but does not specify core or casing. how is the casing not covered? isn't it just part of the evaporator? the only part not covered by the "base" plan is the "ac accumulator". i dont know how often that part goes bad though...

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like It’s a fair price for a dealer in a metro area and if it were me, I wouldn’t want my car taken apart twice. You can also try to contact Ford. Maybe they’ll help you.
Yes I haven’t tried calling Ford yet but I will tomorrow. Will also call the dealer I bought it at to see if they can do anything. It’s a long shot but who knows.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey ya'll

Go to the first post in this thread and take that same direction:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/be-aware-warranty-issues-on-the-tsb-a-c-fix.158694/

You may get help from Ford Corp if you use the same angle and direction of that post....

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)