RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw a video of new EB driving and the Exhaust (not engine) sound was close to GT.

No it wasn’t. My 2019 has the same factory exhaust as the 2020 HPP. It sounds good for EB, but is a far cry from sounding like the GT.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hi guys;

Can't decide which one has a better low end TQ (1500 - 2500 RPM) for city/street driving where you don't get much room to rev the car.
Love the sound of GT and how it revs on open road, but most of my driving is inner city, but I need low end TQ.
How much low end torque do you actually use when there isn't much room anyway? If you're not going WOT or close to that going away from most every stop, what you're really looking for is response, which isn't as simple as what a WOT dyno plot shows you.

Do you know at what rpm the EB starts making a significant amount of boost? If you're running with hardly any throttle at 1500 rpm and step into it, how significant is the lag (this may be more annoying on a subjective level than for whatever sacrifice in objective performance).

Transmission choice matters. An automatic is better at covering up for letting yourself get caught with the engine off boost. With a MT you may find yourself (for example) running in 2nd rather than 3rd just for the more immediate response even though it'll sound like you're running a gear lower than necessary.

We're on our second turbocharged car. It's better than the first in terms of response under most conditions, but a couple hundred rpm still makes a big difference in response down at the point where boost begins vs that couple hundred rpm lower where there's none.

Norm

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I would hope Ford does not remove the instant, no lag turbo torque the ecoboost has had from the beginning. All I have is an intercooler added and on 93 there is zero lag. Even a little jumpy in sport mode which I use all the time on my Automatic. When I went shopping for the Mustang 3 years ago I was CERTAIN that I was coming home with a GT. But it was the most anticipated but disappointing test drive I might have ever had. I've been accustomed to turbo performance from my previous cars and could not get over the lack of power in the lower RPM's during my everyday driving style. I ended up driving 4 different GT's from stick to automatic PP and base with different gearing. I wanted a car with a warranty and just couldn't deal with the stock GT performance.

Luckily a salesman that pretty much stated this situation to me talked me into an Ecoboost test drive. I was really shocked at the effortless torque. Sure the price was 8000 less but I just didn't enjoy the GT enough. Sure the top end power is boring and the constant disrespect it gets is annoying, but it really is a fun sports car. Plus I don't really like the new GT sound as much as the older gt's. So I took the spare 8000 to 10000 I had by not getting the GT and bought a pretty well modded 05 GT to have fun with.

I'm anxious to see what the OP comes up with after hopefully a couple test drives of his own.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
How much low end torque do you actually use when there isn't much room anyway? If you're not going WOT or close to that going away from most every stop, what you're really looking for is response, which isn't as simple as what a WOT dyno plot shows you.

Do you know at what rpm the EB starts making a significant amount of boost? If you're running with hardly any throttle at 1500 rpm and step into it, how significant is the lag (this may be more annoying on a subjective level than for whatever sacrifice in objective performance).

Transmission choice matters. An automatic is better at covering up for letting yourself get caught with the engine off boost. With a MT you may find yourself (for example) running in 2nd rather than 3rd just for the more immediate response even though it'll sound like you're running a gear lower than necessary.

We're on our second turbocharged car. It's better than the first in terms of response under most conditions, but a couple hundred rpm still makes a big difference in response down at the point where boost begins vs that couple hundred rpm lower where there's none.

Norm
There is very little lag on 2020 HPP EB that I noticed. That's were the twin turbo comes in. My Audi had a single turbo and had big time lag. You could shave a 1\2 second off your 60 with launching it 2500RPMs in my audi. Probably can do the same with the EB but still.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hi guys;

Can't decide which one has a better low end TQ (1500 - 2500 RPM) for city/street driving where you don't get much room to rev the car.
Love the sound of GT and how it revs on open road, but most of my driving is inner city, but I need low end TQ.

Has anyone driven these two (GT and the NEW High Performance EB) and see which has a better take off power?
Thanks!
GT is a little quicker if you are going to drive inappropriately in the city.

Part of my decision would be whether the EB is direct injection only. I would prefer to have all port injection, but on the new GT at least it has supplemental port injection to possibly keep the valves cleaner over time.

Having said that, I just bought a direct injection turbo Ford. I put a catch can on it right away. Hopefully the valves won't coke up on it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a direct injection turbo Ford. I put a catch can on it right away. Hopefully the valves won't coke up on it.
you missed the post recently where someone had 40,000 miles(?) on an EB Mustang and it was clean as a whistle. I'm guessing you bought a truck? I don't know if the oil evaporation characteristics are the same or not...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
you missed the post recently where someone had 40,000 miles(?) on an EB Mustang and it was clean as a whistle. I'm guessing you bought a truck? I don't know if the oil evaporation characteristics are the same or not...
I remember reading all the posts on the DI EB and catch cans. Everyone said you "had" to have a catch can on it. Well I traded in my 15 EB earlier this year with 51K on the odometer. Found out the new owner checked and found 0% buildup. I'm sure the catch cans couldn't hurt but based on my car they are overrated. I certainly wouldn't be concerned buying an EB now.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hi guys;

Has anyone driven these two (GT and the NEW High Performance EB) and see which has a better take off power?
Thanks!
The GT is the better car for every possible driving situation... Get the performance pack and don't even think twice about it.

Just sign the papers and drive home.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
The GT is the better car for every possible driving situation... Get the performance pack and don't even think twice about it.
I sure wish this statement was true for myself and plenty of others. I certain expected that until I did the test drives and especially when I got to take the oneGT home for the afternoon. Coming from high performance 4cyl turbo's I just am too disappointed with the lackluster power of the GT while driving around my area daily. Under 4000 rpm is just too boring. I was also hoping the PP GT was going to handle and feel as good as my Eco with the Ford performance suspension package. But the extra weight was noticeable with the GT. I'm planning on a GT in the somewhat near future and hope that bolt ons and a good tune will have me satisifed. I have never been able to drive a tuned Coyote, But seeing how much better my 05 GT runs after a good Lito tune, I'm hoping for the same with a Coyote tune.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I remember reading all the posts on the DI EB and catch cans. Everyone said you "had" to have a catch can on it. Well I traded in my 15 EB earlier this year with 51K on the odometer. Found out the new owner checked and found 0% buildup. I'm sure the catch cans couldn't hurt but based on my car they are overrated. I certainly wouldn't be concerned buying an EB now.
Good to know. Thanks. Hopefully I will have similar luck as you did. I'm hoping to keep the car for a while.

I bought a Fiesta ST. It's a different engine as well, so I have no idea, but I assume there are going to be similarities. I figure a catch can is cheap insurance. Hopefully it won't catch much oil and I'll feel as though I didn't really need it.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
idk they layout of the eb intake manifold but if theres a valley like the gt then you may not get build up on the valves but oil will 100% get into the intake manifold. i had a stock mani for about 10k miles and there was a pool of blow by oil in my intake when i took it off. installed catch can and now very little oil has gotten by.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My '19 GT with the A10, PP so running the 3.55 rear, in S/S+ is crazy fun around town, talking 90-95% 45MPH and under type driving. Now with a tune? Holy smokes, I can't imagine wanting much more low end, even at low RPMs the tires (305s too), struggle (in the best possible way).

I've had a wide range of cars in terms of engine characteristics - talking 700+ HP turbo cars, high winding 4s, rotaries, Chevy V8s - and I don't think I've enjoyed anything more than the Coyote, especially this 3rd Gen.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.