Sponsored

GT Owner...Considering...EB...

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
I don't think anyone has ever been like this, considering this option...but I'm going to put it out there. So, feel free to laugh at me.

The whole point of the Mustangs, at least from my upbringing and learning was the power from the V8. Something I've grown to absolutely love, and appreciate. Unfortunately, that has come with three downsides, all involving cost. My car is ridiculously expensive, between gas, payments and insurance. I'm not at the point where I'm like...cutting off living, but it's just a bit of a hassle.

Not to mention, I'm a bit bored of the base interior. I've never needed all the great finishes, but man, they make the car feel worth a lot more than it really is...

So, throughout my research, I've thought about other cars, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Golf GTI, and now...an Ecoboost Mustang...

I feel ridiculous, as I've only had my car since September...and I'm not exactly sure what to do. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Run the numbers and decide for yourself if the savings are worth the downgrade. Just so you know, you'll take a huge hit ($6-8k). That's gotta be painful.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Found a EB fully loaded, all black (beautiful) and they want 27 for it...Tempting...Again, not really sure. Seems like it would save me about 1500 a year on gas.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Found a EB fully loaded, all black (beautiful) and they want 27 for it...Tempting...Again, not really sure. Seems like it would save me about 1500 a year on gas.
Only you can decide, you are the one who will be driving her, and as long as it has the Pony on the front, its still a Stang :D
and in years to come, we might all be driving a electric Stang :lol::lol:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'll never drive an electric, or own one. I am in a" near to his position" as my $600 payment, $180 insurance and if gas prices go up, dang! So I am pondering getting a used 2015 GT or 3-link. I'd appreciate any advice on alternatives as I am Maxed-out with "life style" changes to afford my DD GT.

Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Insurance on an EcoBoost won't be much cheaper ($10 for me). It won't save much gas, if you're in boost often and also have to use 91. Also a 27K loaded EcoBoost will be around the same monthly payment.... The amount of money lost on the trade for and EcoBoost would be at least 3-5 years of insurance and gas cost difference for the GT. That isn't even mentioning the huge loss you will take on trading laterally to basically the same car!

Seems the Mustang is just out of your budget....I would recommend the Fiesta ST or Focus ST.

That being said....I do find it funny how you want to get rid of it, because you're "bored of the base interior". Who cares about the interior when you have a V8 for almost the same price as the EcoBoost!

Last edited:

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Test drive the Ecoboost Mustang and see if you like it, you may like it more in the city especially since you're in Cincinnati. In gas terms of gas mileage, while it does better than the GT, I am getting 3 mpg less in the city and the same in the highway.

If you're unsure of making a decision, don't make one quickly. Test drive all the cars you've mentioned and see which one you like.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If you are going to run premium gas in the EB you are not going to save that much in fuel cost. If you run 87 you will save more obviously so it depends. I use 93 in the summer and a mix of 87/93 in the winter. I also average about 21 mpg with all country/city driving which isn't great but expected given my driving habits and conditions. I would probably get about 12 in a GT.

Insurance cost is as cheap as the Sonata we traded in so pretty cheap.200 a quarter.

We trade in cars every 2 years and my ass is sore for a couple of months from getting bent over the desk. It usually costs me about 5k loss every time. We are coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the Mustang and the wife wants me to get a Porsche but I am sticking with the Mustang.

The premium interior is great and worth the extra cash.

Wait for 0 percent financing special as that will save at least a couple of grand. I financed 32k for 72 months and have a 446 a month payment.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
I wish I had gotten the base Mustang and saved some money. I did get around $4,000 off sticker and 0% for six years, but my sticker was $45,885. A base GT with recaro seats would have been nice.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
You're crazy.

The biggest cost advantage between an EB and a GT is the MSRP difference.. if trade in is going to cost you more than that, don't do it.

The EB is only economical on fuel if you drive long distances on the highway.. under those conditions I can see 25+ mpg easy.. but being that I do 99% city driving in heavy traffic, I get 12mpg's.. When in boost this thing sucks gas like there's no tomorrow.. and you have to deal with heat soak, fuel quality, power drop off at high RPM.. etc etc.

I suggest, you keep your car, pay it down, don't climb out of one hole just to climb into another..

Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
To quote Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, "is this sarcasm?"

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
You're crazy.

The biggest cost advantage between an EB and a GT is the MSRP difference.. if trade in is going to cost you more than that, don't do it.

The EB is only economical on fuel if you drive long distances on the highway.. under those conditions I can see 25+ mpg easy.. but being that I do 99% city driving in heavy traffic, I get 12mpg's.. When in boost this thing sucks gas like there's no tomorrow.. and you have to deal with heat soak, fuel quality, power drop off at high RPM.. etc etc.

I suggest, you keep your car, pay it down, don't climb out of one hole just to climb into another..
Oh Christ, you again with your fucking 12 mpg bullshit. Learn how to drive and you will get 21 mpg like the rest of us for fuck sake.

The car is not the problem, the problem is you.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Like others have said, the costs won't be all that different. The loss from getting rid of your car so soon will probably be greater than the amount you'll save, which isn't much. I went from an EcoBoost to GT and I think my insurance difference was $30 a month. Gas isn't much of a difference like others said. If you're in boost you won't do much better, and even driving it like a grandma you'll be lucky if you eek out 5 mpg higher in the EB. As for the payment part, it sounds like you're not drowning, it's just a hassle. I'd suggest trying to stick with it until you're eligible to refinance and do that if you want to lower your payment.

If you really want more breathing room something like a used Fiesta ST or BRZ makes more sense with better fuel economy and nice used examples well under 20 grand.

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
, I've thought about other cars, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Golf GTI, and now...an Ecoboost Mustang...
In 1964.5, when the Mustang launched, the most power you could get was juiced out of a 260cu.in V8 putting out 164hp. Laughable by today’s standards, but nevertheless, still a V8. They also made a 6cyl. engine eking out 101hp. Not much passion for that power-plant. The charisma of the Mustang has always stemmed from the V8, and today those early versions are still the most sought out.

I believe that cars have soul. Not in the biblical sense; more in envious character trait that gets engrained far into your personality. The deep chested rumble of the Mustang with its V8 heartbeat stimulates multiple senses and lets you know that this car has its own disposition. It’s ornery, and can be a handful in weak hands (Cars & Coffee), but when you let it know who the master is, has your back in any street-fight.

There is no doubt today’s turbo-helped 4cyl. engines are supurb. They’re smooth, deliver devilish grins with every push, and will keep your wallet safely hidden. And “safe” is what they are. Safe can be fun too, but for me, a Mustang will always be a rebellious V8, talking smack, picking fights and making me want to misbehave.
Sponsored