Sponsored

gt 5.0, gt350 airbox cover in 5 minutes, functional hood air vent

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
All you need is scissors, pipe wrap from home depot and your choice of cover material. In my case it was stiff enough foil coveted foamy thingy I happened to have at home. It has to be flexible.

a) cut cover material to the shape of the airbox top. (several minutes)
b) cut pipe wrap alongside to your liking (< 1minute)
c) Stick it to material's perimeter so that it would embrace the airbox (several minutes)
d) put it on.

I also attached some pieces of foamy material on top so that the hood pushes the cover down and this also makes the hood vent functional.

What you see was my POC verrsion, but I just left it as is. This can be done looking more OEMish with proper cover matertial.

You can feel the heat coming out of hood air vent after your ride. It takes care of temperatures. It protects from rain as it covers the airbox from top and sides.

You can remove\install it in seconds.

20230226_122308.jpg

20230312_164130.jpg

20230312_164105.jpg
Sponsored

Woketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Coupe
Is there a chance that the suction of the engine will collapse this cover under full power? A few wooden or aluminum stiffeners could easily prevent this.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Is there a chance that the suction of the engine will collapse this cover under full power? A few wooden or aluminum stiffeners could easily prevent this.
Did not hapen to me while having this solution in place but definitely some reinforcement migh help. Should berassy to add for sure.

I had removed the airbox due to Power Pack 2 pinging for now.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So the reason you did this is because you presumably (since there's no pictures) opened up your OEM hood vent alot more thus being afraid you would get water into the now exposed airbox and filter?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Due to the position of the GT hood vents, water will pour into THAT style of intake. GT350 doesn't have this issue (different hood) and Bullitts and Mach1's use a hood liner that directs the water way out in front of the open airbox. The Ford Performance air box has a different top shell and seal shape that prevents water intrusion.

Regardless, I'm not sure how this mod helps a pinging issue. Unless the presumption is that excessive under hood air temps are being drawn into the intake box and causing ping.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You had to remove airbox because the homemade cover caused pinging ?
frpp stage 2 was pinging regardless. with or without the cover, with or wothout boostane... I uninstalled frpp2 alltogether with gt350 airbox and the cover was not needed anymore for 2015-17 oem untake.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Regardless, I'm not sure how this mod helps a pinging issue. Unless the presumption is that excessive under hood air temps are being drawn into the intake box and causing ping.
this cover does not have any connection to pinging. I just mentioned that i do not use gt350 airbox (and the cover) brvsuse of frpp 2 pinging.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Due to the position of the GT hood vents, water will pour into THAT style of intake.
??
No it won't. That's the intake you get when you buy Ford Performance Power Pack - if you have the stock vents (with plastic parts on the inside of the hood), they will not let the water into the intake. Otherwise there would be hundreds of cars (including mine) water locked already.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
??
No it won't. That's the intake you get when you buy Ford Performance Power Pack - if you have the stock vents (with plastic parts on the inside of the hood), they will not let the water into the intake. Otherwise there would be hundreds of cars (including mine) water locked already.
Get a flashlight and with hood closed turn it on and point it at the vent and check which part of the intake you'll see.

Another check - drive in a heavy rain, then get in a garage, open the hood and touch your filter element.

Yet another check - after a good drive hold your hand against left and right air vents. There will be noticeable heat from one, but not from the other. Why is that?

the water gets in the front of the airbox right where intake inlet gets in. Air takes some of it and flows at the filter.

Probably not enough to hydrolock, but less than optimal. Also likely shortens your filter's life.

Whan you are at speed, air does not let water into the vent. When you stay water gets in, but there's not enough air flow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
??
Look closer at the two upper halves of the air box. The FP one is different. It has a notch that the one in the picture does not.
1707153869105.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kz

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Get a flashlight and with hood closed turn it on and point it at the vent and check which part of the intake you'll see.

Another check - drive in a heavy rain, then get in a garage, open the hood and touch your filter element.

Yet another check - after a good drive hold your hand against left and right air vents. There will be noticeable heat from one, but not from the other. Why is that?

the water gets in the front of the airbox right where intake inlet gets in. Air takes some of it and flows at the filter.

Probably not enough to hydrolock, but less than optimal. Also likely shortens your filter's life.

Whan you are at speed, air does not let water into the vent. When you stay water gets in, but there's not enough air flow.
If you can get a Mach1 or Bullitt hood liner, you won't get water in that style of air box.