yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
When I turn left at speed (without coming to a complete stop) there is a sort of grinding/roaring sound. I cannot tell which side, but I am assuming it is coming from up front as it is audible with no music in the car. Only when i turn left though. I have ad the car on my lift and see nothing out of place. No suspension modifications. Stock wheels as well. Any ideas?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check your wheel hubs? (all 4)

OP
OP

yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
I have indeed. It seems to be when the body rolls on the left turn, so something probably right spring related. I'll have to do more investigating, I just did not know if anyone had the same issue. Car has 2,000 miles and I have lowering springs sitting in the garage for it so I'll see if that remedies the issue.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I have a 2014 and have the same problem. Developed the sound at about 20K miles, only on the right side. Grind/rub/thunk when turning left at medium speeds (20 or so). Just like you say, turn left, and when the body puts some weight on that right front, it makes the horrible noise.

It also pops over speed bumps (right side only), and groans sometimes when taking off from a stop, right side only.

I took it in, and they threw the Lower Control Arm TSB at it.

Fixed nothing. All three symptoms remain.

My thinking is it's an upper strut mount, or a back strut.
I don't think it's a spindle, or wheel bearing, cause the car drives perfect all other times.

Also, seems to happen more when it's HOT out.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
If you've had it in for service, you would think they checked torque on all bolts, but maybe not. If the front suspension is stock, the dealer owes you a fix. I'd have them check the strut mounting bolts and the top strut nut, as well as all the fasteners on the front, both sides.

If you're parked and turn the wheel left/right do you get the noise? Could possibly be the EPS, but I would think you'd be throwing trouble codes if there was something awry with that very expensive component. With only 2K miles on it, your car's not even broken in yet...very strange to be having these noises.

Sponsored

OP
OP

yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
I have another small warranty issue I am needing to have addressed, so I will plan on making it to the dealer next week. It is only when I turn, not when i go over a bump or anything like that. I'm guessing the car was built on a friday and someone forgot to grease something. Not a major deal, I just want to make sure its correct before I start throwing suspension pieces at it

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'd get the issue(s) addressed before you mod anything. Once you touch the suspension the dealer will attempt to blame anything that goes wrong on your mods. Depending on what is wrong with the car, they're not supposed to do that, but it happens.

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Is it a performance pack?

make sure you dont have a RR wheel upfront. this was my issue and would have never figured it out until I was told how to distinguish a rear PP wheel from the front.

Even if non-PP I think some other wheel options may be staggered. (correct me if im wrong.) Look at the FR shock body and also check all of your fender liners for rubbed away material. There is ~3/8" between the FR shock body and the wheel lip./

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I have another small warranty issue I am needing to have addressed, so I will plan on making it to the dealer next week. It is only when I turn, not when i go over a bump or anything like that. I'm guessing the car was built on a friday and someone forgot to grease something. Not a major deal, I just want to make sure its correct before I start throwing suspension pieces at it

I assume you were asking the OP, but in my case, I get no sounds when stopped and turning the wheel.

I'm wondering it it's a bad sway bar end link?

OP
OP

yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Car is not a performance pack. 6r80 base model. The sound has gotten a bit louder, more of a rattling instead of a grinding now. Everything looked intact but I cannot monitor it while driving. I plan on taking it into the dealership next week

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Is it possible that drive axles could be making sound? When you corner the angle of the drive axles change?

OP
OP

yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Is it possible that drive axles could be making sound? When you corner the angle of the drive axles change?
It is definitely coming from the passenger side front so I don't think this could be the case

OP
OP

yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Update: Car wen to dealer yesterday. I had to go back after work and drive them to replicate the issue. Hoping for a fix today and will update with answers as I get them.

OP
OP

yohoeimmattbro

Amateur Mexican
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Got the car back with no changes. Actually seems a bit louder. Taking it to a different dealership for a buddy to check it out this afternoon