Grinding & Growling & Scrubbing

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I have a 2016 V6 with a grinding/growling/scrubbing sound when I turn the steering wheel all the way and slowly move the car. I sorta feel it too, if you know what I mean. I sound happens when I am backing up and moving forward (under 2 miles per hour). After driving the car for a few miles I can turn the wheel and the sound is sorta still there but not as pronounced. There is also a clicking sound I thought was coming from the driver axle. I changed all 4 wheel bearing hubs and I just changed the rear axles with the GT350 axles from Ford Performance. I still have the same grinding and clicking. I can’t really tell if the sound is coming from the front or rear while sitting in the car. I don’t think the brakes are the problem (changed the rotors and pads as well). What can it be front suspension, transmission, rear diff? Any ideas?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the car is safely lifted where the wheels are off the ground - and you manually spin each wheel, can you hear that sound?

OP
OP
lamarellis

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If the car is safely lifted where the wheels are off the ground - and you manually spin each wheel, can you hear that sound?
No. I hear the brake pads barley scrub against the rotors but no other noises. The wheels spin freely.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When you did the rear hubs and/axle work, did you torque the rear hub nuts to the proper torque spec? There's a rather large thread in the suspension sub-forum on here about the rear axle nuts getting loose... and some have reported the resulting "clicking" from loose rear hub nuts.

Also check the back side of the tires and make sure you don't see any rub marks - like if they are making contact with a suspension component.

OP
OP
lamarellis

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
When you did the rear hubs and/axle work, did you torque the rear hub nuts to the proper torque spec? There's a rather large thread in the suspension sub-forum on here about the rear axle nuts getting loose... and some have reported the resulting "clicking" from loose rear hub nuts.

Also check the back side of the tires and make sure you don't see any rub marks - like if they are making contact with a suspension component.
I bought new axle nuts and torqued them to spec and added blue locktite. The wheels are new 18" base wheels from a 2020 car so I don't think they are rubbing but I will check. I'm running out of things to replace. There is nothing special about the car (pictures below) other than I got from Copart salvage auction so I'm wondering if the salvage yard forklifts did any damage. I haven't had this problem before, this is my 3rd car (2nd Mustang) from the auction.

IMG-0084.jpg

IMG-0085.jpg

IMG-0088.jpg

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
No. I hear the brake pads barley scrub against the rotors but no other noises. The wheels spin freely.

Check the caliper pins, caliper should move in and out, float. Car sat in a junk yard evil corrosion is suspect, front wheels

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My '17 v6 was making a groaning noise when turning cold at 13k mi. A diff fluid change with Mobil 1 75-90 and trans-x posi additive, then some figure 8's cured it. The old fluid looked fine. Your symptoms sound more severe, but just a thought.

OP
OP
lamarellis

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'm still having this issue. I upgraded to brand new 2020 stock 18" GT wheels and tires, installed new Powerstop rotors and pads, changed the diff gear oil, installed 4 wheel bearings and installed GT350 axles. The growling/grinding noise is more pronounced when I first start the car and when turning the steering wheel. I also have a ticking sound and I don't know know if its the front end or rear (I'm thinking front end). I don't know what else to check - shock mounts, steering rack, or driveshaft maybe??

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I'm still having this issue. I upgraded to brand new 2020 stock 18" GT wheels and tires, installed new Powerstop rotors and pads, changed the diff gear oil, installed 4 wheel bearings and installed GT350 axles. The growling/grinding noise is more pronounced when I first start the car and when turning the steering wheel. I also have a ticking sound and I don't know know if its the front end or rear (I'm thinking front end). I don't know what else to check - shock mounts, steering rack, or driveshaft maybe??
Do you hear the clicking sound when turning the steering wheel? On my 2020 GT, every time I turned the steering wheel, the clicking noise was heard from the inside of the car and outside by the front driver's side and passenger side tires. The noise turned out to be the electric steering rack.
Also, place the car in park with the emergency brake on. Turn the steering wheel back and forth. Do you still hear the clicking noise, grinding, scowling, etc.? It could be the electric steering rack. The dealership used a stethoscope to pin the noise.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Did you put friction modifier in your diff when you changed the fluid? Some gear oil companies advertise that their fluid have friction modifier in them, but most of them don’t have enough modifier. I used to get the groaning in exact same scenario and it was resolved by changing diff fluid and adding friction modifier.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Did you put friction modifier in your diff when you changed the fluid? Some gear oil companies advertise that their fluid have friction modifier in them, but most of them don’t have enough modifier. I used to get the groaning in exact same scenario and it was resolved by changing diff fluid and adding friction modifier.
Ford users manual, specifies an additive be included, this for a 2020.

OP
OP
lamarellis

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I did add a tube of TransX friction modifier with the MobileOne diff fluid, which also stated it had modifiers included. I have been driving a lot since I changed the fluid and it seems I little better. I’m thinking about changing the transmission fluid as well to see if that helps.

OP
OP
lamarellis

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I have good news to report. The diff fluid change and friction modifier has cured the grinding & growling & scrubbing noises by 99.5%. On occasion I can almost hear something when slowing backing out of my driveway. I mostly feel it if that makes sense. I'm happy enough to where I'm not buying a used diff now - unless I find a good 3.55 somewhat cheap. Thanks for your help guys!!

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Tht's good news. Do some slow tight figure 8's to work the new fluid into the posi.

OP
OP
lamarellis

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I still have some clicking noises I think are coming from the rear end. I changed out the axles but the noise didn't change. It may be brake related. I changed out the brakes immediately when bought the car so I don't know the clicking was there before the new brakes. I installed PowerStop Z23 drilled and slotted rotors and pads. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Sponsored