Got an alignment and still having weird vibrations above 80mph

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Engine replaced 11/2019, multiple bodywork and 2-3 A/C failures later, I was noticing some periodic vibrations in the steering wheel. I thought it needed an alignment, but they are still there. Even on the smoothest pavement, the wheel shakes slightly, coming and going every four seconds... like vibrate for 2 stop for 2, over and over at anything above 80Mph, getting stronger the faster you go. Any idea what this could be?

original account droopy1592... for some reason the facebook login doesnt' work anymore.
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Could be driveline vibration. It is possible the runouts were not properly matched after the engine was replaced.

OP
OP

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Could be driveline vibration. It is possible the runouts were not properly matched after the engine was replaced.
I honestly can't perceive it trying to feel it with the car itself... it's almost as if it's only in the steering wheel. I turn the engine off and take her out of gear and still does it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I had a vibration at speed not enough to cause discomfort but there none the less. It went away when I went to 2 piece rotors.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Check the wheel balance?

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Check the wheel balance?
this, or something could be wrong internally with one of the tires.

I had some similar vibrations recently, turned out part of my exhaust was rubbing against my rear sway bar under certain loads. I moved it away from it, vibration seemed to go away.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I honestly can't perceive it trying to feel it with the car itself... it's almost as if it's only in the steering wheel. I turn the engine off and take her out of gear and still does it.
On my 2012 GT I had driveline vibration issues. At one point I could only feel it in the steering wheel. Harmonics can be weird sometimes.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes, even had them check the back wheels for roudness while buying new fronts and balancing all 4 wheels.
They may not have spun the tire as fast as 80mph (where you stated you are getting the vibration). might not be as evident at slower speeds and appear as you approach a certain speed. Either way I would have them recheck it ..... they may have either made a mistake or perhaps balanced it it the best they could.

OP
OP

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes, even had them check the back wheels for roudness while buying new fronts and balancing all 4 wheels.
Turns out the rear left wheel was out of round. Mavis/Discount Tire said the wheels and tire balance were fine. Took it in for the fourth A/C issue and they found the rear wheel was out of round at the dealer. So you were right.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
When I had my 16 GT350 the steering wheel was smooth, my 17 had a slight wiggle in steering wheel on smooth pavement. Took it to a reputable tire/alignment shop. Tires were fine and balanced but the front wheels were slightly out of round. He said being cast wheels it's not uncommon on cars now a days. My dealership still had my 16 and were kind enough to just swap the front tires and wheels on it to my 17. I did have 3,000 miles on the 16 front tires and the 17 they were new but that was ok with me. From then on the steering wheel was perfectly smooth on smooth pavement.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I had a high speed vibration with my lexus turned out the tires were facked up. I had a high speed balance done and sent their report to tirerack and they took them back.

They were technically balanced though

Edit I see now you found the issue.
Sponsored