Sponsored

GM is pulling back on EVs

tripleyellowmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 3xyellow EBPP
Those all seems like great reasons to keep making them - "we're making shit ton of money selling them / making them" so why would we ever want them to go away, lol" is what it means. At least they're being honest about it or they haven't figured out that publishing EV bashing articles on msn is how pros do it, lol.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised to see this article after VW‘s recent announcement to invest billions in EV’s. I guess Germany is moving forward, but wants a delay in the agreed to mandate.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/features/volkswagen-investing-billions-into-evs
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Those all seems like great reasons to keep making them - "we're making shit ton of money selling them / making them" so why would we ever want them to go away, lol" is what it means. At least they're being honest about it or they haven't figured out that publishing EV bashing articles on msn is how pros do it, lol.
Hello; You have a very odd way to look at making a living. To be fair the CEO's and perhaps investors in ICE companies likely make good money. A thing is there are lots of wage earners who also make a living building -supplying parts for vehicles. I also imagine the CEO's and investors of Green and EV companies will hope to make good money.

By now the information is out about both EV's and green energy. That information has been well documented in this thread. To summarize, EV's and green energy have too many flaws and shortcomings at present to be a viable alternative to traditional power and ICE. Not merely bashing just because of personal preference. Not just opinion but interpretation of the available facts.

My guess is if the EV's and green energy platforms could pull the weight there would be no mandates. Hybrids have been around from around 2001 or earlier. I looked at them when shopping for my current car. I passed. I looked at hybrids off and on over the years and had they been price competitive with an equivalent ICE may have gotten one. But they have never been.

Last is the "save the world" virtue signaling which surrounds the EV's and to an extent the green power equipment. They may be some cleaner but the margin is not so great. Refer to the Volvo study which found an EV must be driven 68,000 miles before it starts to be some less of an environmental impact over an ICE. Again, the BEV's are a premium cost over an ICE. Again, if these things were as good as the ICE and fossil fuel power plants the force being used would not be necessary.
I can conceded a human layer of pollution on top of natural forces with such things as the climate. A thing is to have the food we need and the transportation to get the food to us, currently we will have to use fossil fueled equipment for a long time.

Anyway, to be lectured about EV's by someone with a GT Mustang and an F-150 seems a bit rich in irony. A sort of John Kerry moment. There must be a reason why you do not have a BEV on your list. But lecture away.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
https://electrek.co/2023/03/13/why-fox-news-wants-you-to-be-afraid-of-electric-bikes/

Guys, I am so dissapointed in you all. Another electric thing that will take your freedom away and change your lives as you know and no one here mentioned it yet (and we even talk about heat pumps.

Slacker y'all (that's for KY guys since I drove through Florence on the way back from the airport).
Did Fox come out screaming when ICE vehicles (Hyundai and Kia specifically)started catching fire? My understanding is that it’s caused a few deaths already.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that regardless of their energy source, vehicles shouldn’t be spontaneously combusting.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/hyundai-kia-class-action-fire-risk/

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I would never own a Kia or Hyundai. They are junk. Friends who have purchased them have dumped them after multiple issues and trips back and forth to the dealers. Cars look nice, but are not reliable.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I would never own a Kia or Hyundai. They are junk. Friends who have purchased them have dumped them after multiple issues and trips back and forth to the dealers. Cars look nice, but are not reliable.
Interesting as here in Europe they have a very good reputation for reliability. Assume US sold ones are made in the US?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Did Fox come out screaming when ICE vehicles (Hyundai and Kia specifically)started catching fire? My understanding is that it’s caused a few deaths already.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that regardless of their energy source, vehicles shouldn’t be spontaneously combusting.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/hyundai-kia-class-action-fire-risk/
Hello; Have to agree that consumer products ought not catch fire under normal use. If either the EV's or the ICE turn out to be more fire prone that the other, that is a solid strike against the one with the higher percentage of fires.
A thing about the EV fires is the intensity of the fires and thus are so much harder to extinguish. Several posts about how much water is used for an EV fire which apparently is to mainly just to keep temps cooler while the energy in the battery dissipates. The EV fires apparently are some better fought with foam. Fire fighting foam is now another of the call a lawyer TV ads because of cancer.

So I agree that neither type vehicle ought to be catching fire and if the percentages are close it is a wash between an EV risk or an ICE risk. Once on fire the EV seems to be much worse to deal with.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Interesting as here in Europe they have a very good reputation for reliability. Assume US sold ones are made in the US?
Only the Hyundai Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, and Santa Cruz are assembled in Alabama. Obviously nothing is made here.
There have been numerous recalls and lawsuits with the engines starting in 2012. Carbon build up, bad oil circulation, oil burning, and connecting Rod bearings. Even though their extended warranties are meant to cover these issues it’s a pain in the ass to have to keep dealing with it. Pay the small extra and buy a Toyota or Honda who build much better engines. I sold my Honda Odyssey with 150,000 miles on it ( never an engine/trans problem) and my Tacoma currently has 144,000 miles on it. My daughter’s 8 year old Honda Fit has never been to the dealer for any work. I don’t know, maybe Europe has better quality in assembly, which is quite possible. Seems everything new here is now assembled in Mexico ( I.e. Ford Maverick trucks).

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Only the Hyundai Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, and Santa Cruz are assembled in Alabama. Obviously nothing is made here.
There have been numerous recalls and lawsuits with the engines starting in 2012. Carbon build up, bad oil circulation, oil burning, and connecting Rod bearings. Even though their extended warranties are meant to cover these issues it’s a pain in the ass to have to keep dealing with it. Pay the small extra and buy a Toyota or Honda who build much better engines. I sold my Honda Odyssey with 150,000 miles on it ( never an engine/trans problem) and my Tacoma currently has 144,000 miles on it. My daughter’s 8 year old Honda Fit has never been to the dealer for any work. I don’t know, maybe Europe has better quality in assembly, which is quite possible. Seems everything new here is now assembled in Mexico ( I.e. Ford Maverick trucks).
Hello; Never had a Hyundai so cannot comment on reliability. Know a few folks who have them and seem to like them, but do not know the service history.
I may be wrong but what i got from Gregs post is a dig at the USA. Not an unusual thing anymore.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
My sister in law has a Kia and she’s very happy with it.

Last edited: