Sponsored

Glass Roof?

Do you like the glass roof option in a Mustang?

• Yes, I like that option and hope it is an option for the S550.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • No, I hope they drop it.

Votes: 17 21.5%

• Total voters

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
The Vista Roof would be cool. I'm assuming that it is similar to the after market version I mentioned previously. I know the glass roof is expensive, but my intentions are to get ALL the options I want as I plan on keeping this one for a long time.
Sponsored

Beastie

Threads
Reaction score
Adds weight but it's also supposed to be more rigid. Great for those that don't want to sacrifice the coupe's nice roofline but want the vert's added natural light with less added weight and price.

Also as said above, anything to differentiate the Mustang is a good thing. Just like HUD for the Camaro.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
I'm impressed with you Mustang enthusiasts. Many other people would claim their (fill in the blank performance car) was too much of a driver's car to have ridiculous frills. Of course there is a place for a stripped down no nonsense track car, but I like that most Mustang folks also don't mind having a comfortable road car with interior amenities as an option too.

I can see both sides. On the one hand it is great to have a really broad range of Mustangs because it will appeal to more people, and that means they will sell more. On the other hand one gripe is that it makes the car lose some of its uniqueness or wow factor. Because Mustangs are so commonplace I rarely turn my head to look at one. It creates this weird lack of consistency; as though there are Mustangs and then there are "real" Mustangs.

With that said I feel like a lot of people on this sight do not have an elitist attitude towards the lower trim Mustangs (and extras like the glass roof). Most people seem to think the more options the better. I guess this just surprises me (in a good way).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Rather indirectly, I think it's probably a good thing to keep. Not because I'd ever opt for it myself (I really don't see that ever happening), but because it's likely that the roof structure to accommodate it would end up being a little stiffer and stronger than if it wasn't going to be available. All but the convertibles would benefit either by improved crash performance by itself or from the benefits of increased chassis stiffness on performance.

The whole point of options is that it gives you the ability to opt out as well as include. Hardly any different than choosing a GT over a sixxer or picking the transmission you want.

Norm

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
I like the glass roof option. That is, I liked the glass roof option until I learned that many tracks won't let the glassies on the track. So, if I had a car for a fun cruiser that wasn't a drop top, I'd go glass. If I wanted to track the car, it'd be a hard top for sure.

Sponsored

Retrostang

Retrostang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Platinum
Targa-top or T-tops.
These are too much of a PITA. I had them on an 88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z and they took up half the storage space. I was always afraid I'd drop one and smash it. The MKZ type roof would be really nice.

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and
I like the glass roof option. That is, I liked the glass roof option until I learned that many tracks won't let the glassies on the track. So, if I had a car for a fun cruiser that wasn't a drop top, I'd go glass. If I wanted to track the car, it'd be a hard top for sure.
Which tracks? I've been 10.xx in the quarter and attended events at Hallett and a local Sherriff's track and have had no issues.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
They didn't let the glassies run @ Hallet road course during the Mid-America Shelby meet this summer. A member of our local club said Blackhawk won't allow them there.

Check with the track before you go. Maybe this requirement is event specific.

Sponsored

Donky

lurker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Description of Your Car(s)
After driving my accord with a sunroof for a while, I think I'd like a glass roof option. I hardly ever open my sunroof, but I leave the shade off of it just because it makes for a much more open driving experience. I'm going for a daily driver in the next mustang, so the performance aspect of it isn't an issue. Since it looks like the new mustang might have a little bit lower roof line, or even if it doesn't, it would help a coupe interior feel a lot more open.

However, I'm not sure that a double bubble roof and a glass option could coexist on the same model without sacrificing the headroom with a glass roof.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
However, I'm not sure that a double bubble roof and a glass option could coexist on the same model without sacrificing the headroom with a glass roof.
I am pretty sure the "double-bubble" is purely cosmetic. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to affect the headroom much, if at all.

It isn't like this, which is clearly for headroom :D:

The glass roof was in the survey as an option, so I HOPE (and trust) it will make it to the final car as an option as well.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
I am pretty sure the "double-bubble" is purely cosmetic. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to affect the headroom much, if at all.
I wondered the same thing as Donky, but I would surmise that Rampart is correct. The double bubble is just for looks. (unless someone else knows otherwise)

J. Dub

I heart newbz
Threads
Reaction score
Just confirmed by forum member tony... No glass roof.
And the only reason I was going to purchase the 15 was for that glass roof.
Guess I'll be looking for a used C7 with glass roof.
That sucks.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
While it probably won't stop me from getting the 15, I am pretty disappointed one isn't being offered. That's one of those rare options that's so cool once you notice it which also makes cruising around that much better.

In my non glass roof '11 I've had a few comments on how it feels like a dark, closed, cave, which I agree with.
Sponsored