Ghosts in the Machine

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
This can be taken as both an observation and, potentially, a warning. Now that the landscapers at my mom's house are mostly done producing large clouds of dust, I took the opportunity to wash my Bullitt and my GF's and mom's cars. I wash at my mom's house because she has a water softener (which appears to be failing but that's a post for a different forum). The pressure out of the softener is pretty low and, for once, I remembered to squirt a little water at the side rearview mirrors to rinse any suds out. When I started the car, I got a display warning--paraphrasing; I don't remember the exact wording--that all my 'Driver Assist Aids' were INOP. I didn't notice it until I'd pulled out on the highway, and had to wait until I was stopped at a long light to power cycle the engine. When I powered-up, the warning was gone and all seemed well, until the next cold start where I got 'Rear Park Assist ON/OFF' on the display. I have Rear Park assist turned on full-time in the Settings menu, and have never gotten this prompt before. It has been persistent now for several days.

Since these issues started immediately after I washed my car I'm assuming that has something to do with them. I've washed this car by hand several times now, but this is the first time I shot a (relatively) low-pressure stream behind the mirror glass (if I don't, I'll get suds oozing out as I'm drying). I could see, perhaps, the side obstacle warnings occurring if water got into something electronic, but blitzing the whole package? I would hope Ford considered the fact that water can get into the mirror housings, and have the connectors properly enclosed, but if they didn't this will surely become an issue sooner or later. And why the persistent 'Rear Park Assist' prompt--that requires 'OK' to be pressed to clear--unless something messed with the backup camera and/or sensor(s)? As mentioned, this was a low-pressure water stream, much milder that you'd likely get in a commercial car wash.

Anyone else had similar issues?
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I use a pressure washer and have not had any issues. Like you I hit the side mirrors fairly "hard" to make sure all the soap is out. Hopefully you figure out what caused it.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I haven't had your issues but I've noticed a fair amount of water will collect behind the mirrors. I use a leaf blower to clear it out.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
... I got 'Rear Park Assist ON/OFF' on the display. I have Rear Park assist turned on full-time in the Settings menu, and have never gotten this prompt before. It has been persistent now for several days.
I randomly get that 'Rear Park Assist ON/OFF' thing when throwing it into reverse at random intervals. And then sometimes the rear camera view stays on long after pulling out forward, as well. Having nothing to do with washing in my case, backup camera behavior seems a little wonky to me.

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
I get the rear parking assist message 100% of the time, even off the showroom floor. Is that not a normal screen to show up when throwing into reverse?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I get the rear parking assist message 100% of the time, even off the showroom floor. Is that not a normal screen to show up when throwing into reverse?
My car didn't do it for the first 7mos/4K miles. This is new, for me at least.

Edit: You kinda want your backup assist when you're, like, backing up ;)

More info: The last couple days have been pretty hot here (100degF +/-). When I go to my mom's ranch pretty much every day, I leave my car out in the sun (with windows down a couple inches, natch). Both yesterday and today, the car has enunciated--one at a time--that none of my 'Driver Assist' features are available. These include the side traffic, rear traffic/backup, etc. and today I wasn't able to switch drive modes (this is a first)! I tried power cycling the engine, but it took about 10 minutes at highway speed for, apparently, the electronics to cool down enough and start working. About the fifth engine power cycle got the features functioning again.

I'm all but convinced this is heat-related. Does Ford not test their cars in temperature extremes? 100degF days are not uncommon in the CA Central Valley in the summer, and the whole planet ain't getting any cooler. Looks like it's time for a service appointment, dammit. Of course, they'll want the car to sit in the dealership parking lot on a hot day to verify.

Edit: My damn 1967 Austin-Healey did fine in Death Valley at 115degF!

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
This can be taken as both an observation and, potentially, a warning. Now that the landscapers at my mom's house are mostly done producing large clouds of dust, I took the opportunity to wash my Bullitt and my GF's and mom's cars. I wash at my mom's house because she has a water softener (which appears to be failing but that's a post for a different forum). The pressure out of the softener is pretty low and, for once, I remembered to squirt a little water at the side rearview mirrors to rinse any suds out. When I started the car, I got a display warning--paraphrasing; I don't remember the exact wording--that all my 'Driver Assist Aids' were INOP. I didn't notice it until I'd pulled out on the highway, and had to wait until I was stopped at a long light to power cycle the engine. When I powered-up, the warning was gone and all seemed well, until the next cold start where I got 'Rear Park Assist ON/OFF' on the display. I have Rear Park assist turned on full-time in the Settings menu, and have never gotten this prompt before. It has been persistent now for several days.

Since these issues started immediately after I washed my car I'm assuming that has something to do with them. I've washed this car by hand several times now, but this is the first time I shot a (relatively) low-pressure stream behind the mirror glass (if I don't, I'll get suds oozing out as I'm drying). I could see, perhaps, the side obstacle warnings occurring if water got into something electronic, but blitzing the whole package? I would hope Ford considered the fact that water can get into the mirror housings, and have the connectors properly enclosed, but if they didn't this will surely become an issue sooner or later. And why the persistent 'Rear Park Assist' prompt--that requires 'OK' to be pressed to clear--unless something messed with the backup camera and/or sensor(s)? As mentioned, this was a low-pressure water stream, much milder that you'd likely get in a commercial car wash.

Just take the car to the dealership and let them take care of it. You have a warranty for a reason, so use it. Stop obsessing and guessing as to what's wrong, and let the pros do their work.

You have absolutely 0 reason to assume anything, so just let the dealership handle it.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Just take the car to the dealership and let them take care of it. You have a warranty for a reason, so use it. Stop obsessing and guessing as to what's wrong, and let the pros do their work.

You have absolutely 0 reason to assume anything, so just let the dealership handle it.
In other words, you have nothing to contribute to this thread but you're going to get your two cents in anyway.

I'm not 'obsessing' over anything. I just want to see if there's a pattern and, hopefully, it could go away (I doubt it, but I've seen it happen). The dealer will ask lots of questions, and I'll have answers, but when I take it in a tech will start it and check for codes and say "There's nothing wrong with it" unless I can give him the specific situation--heat, apparently--that causes the problems (if nothing else, I'll wait for a forecast of hot weather so the dealer can reproduce the problem). It looks like others have had similar issues. Maybe someone has found a cause and a cure so I won't have to leave the car at the dealer's for a week (or at least I'll know what to expect if I do). I might do a TSB check to see if it's a known issue, and if there is certain fix.

As for 'guessing,' I have six vehicles, two tractors and an ATV to maintain and I can't run to the dealer anytime something goes amiss (some are so old the manufacturers and dealers no longer exist). More often than not, I can diagnose and possibly fix most problems and I have a well-equipped shop with lots of tools and, well, I like to fix stuff (but I won't touch the 'Stang as long as it's under warranty). I have decided the dealer will have to handle this, I'm just gathering data and waiting for a more convenient time to take it in. Oh, and if the problem is widespread, and the fix is known--one of the computer/control modules I suspect--and they put a new one in it's possible/likely the problems will reoccur. I just want to know what to expect.

You are, of course, free to ignore this thread if you don't like the way I'm handling things.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
In other words, you have nothing to contribute to this thread but you're going to get your two cents in anyway.

I'm not 'obsessing' over anything. I just want to see if there's a pattern and, hopefully, it could go away (I doubt it, but I've seen it happen). The dealer will ask lots of questions, and I'll have answers, but when I take it in a tech will start it and check for codes and say "There's nothing wrong with it" unless I can give him the specific situation--heat, apparently--that causes the problems (if nothing else, I'll wait for a forecast of hot weather so the dealer can reproduce the problem). It looks like others have had similar issues. Maybe someone has found a cause and a cure so I won't have to leave the car at the dealer's for a week (or at least I'll know what to expect if I do). I might do a TSB check to see if it's a known issue, and if there is certain fix.

As for 'guessing,' I have six vehicles, two tractors and an ATV to maintain and I can't run to the dealer anytime something goes amiss (some are so old the manufacturers and dealers no longer exist). More often than not, I can diagnose and possibly fix most problems and I have a well-equipped shop with lots of tools and, well, I like to fix stuff (but I won't touch the 'Stang as long as it's under warranty). I have decided the dealer will have to handle this, I'm just gathering data and waiting for a more convenient time to take it in. Oh, and if the problem is widespread, and the fix is known--one of the computer/control modules I suspect--and they put a new one in it's possible/likely the problems will reoccur. I just want to know what to expect.

You are, of course, free to ignore this thread if you don't like the way I'm handling things.
Dude....I'm just trying to help with your thought processes. The best you can do is a simple "has anyone else had this problem" to see if it's a known issue. Sweet and simple, a few sentences.

Beyond that, it's dealership/warranty time.

We all understand being frustrated with weird electrical gremlins. Hell, my stereo goes out for a few hours here and there, and there's nothing to do about it. The last time I took the car in with the stereo not working, the instant the service adviser touched the stereo it turned right on. It sucks, but the best option is to let the dealership try and figure it out.

thundertorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP; 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305 V8 TBI
Mine is like this too. I bought mine used with only 872 miles and I have always seen this message. I have a manual transmission if that makes any difference.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On my '18 (automatic) with 7500 miles, it puts up that parking assist prompt every time I put it in reverse. It's kind of annoying that I can't disable it (as far as I know).

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance

The only time I have seen a Driver Assist warning was with a shorted mirror on my 2107 Flex; dealer replaced the passenger mirror, and all good.
Can't speak to the Parking Assist... never enabled it, but now you've got me curious.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My car didn't do it for the first 7mos/4K miles. This is new, for me at least.

Edit: You kinda want your backup assist when you're, like, backing up ;)

More info: The last couple days have been pretty hot here (100degF +/-). When I go to my mom's ranch pretty much every day, I leave my car out in the sun (with windows down a couple inches, natch). Both yesterday and today, the car has enunciated--one at a time--that none of my 'Driver Assist' features are available. These include the side traffic, rear traffic/backup, etc. and today I wasn't able to switch drive modes (this is a first)! I tried power cycling the engine, but it took about 10 minutes at highway speed for, apparently, the electronics to cool down enough and start working. About the fifth engine power cycle got the features functioning again.

I'm all but convinced this is heat-related. Does Ford not test their cars in temperature extremes? 100degF days are not uncommon in the CA Central Valley in the summer, and the whole planet ain't getting any cooler. Looks like it's time for a service appointment, dammit. Of course, they'll want the car to sit in the dealership parking lot on a hot day to verify.

Edit: My damn 1967 Austin-Healey did fine in Death Valley at 115degF!
Have you figured out what was the cause?

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Have you figured out what was the cause?
Nope, but I'd bet dollars to donuts there's an electronic module (or modules) that's getting heat-soaked. Happened again today, that's four days in a row so now I have something to pound the dealership with. Issues clear themselves after about 5 miles of driving, so I'm assuming airflow has something to do with it.

It's affecting all the electronic nannies; backup, side traffic, cross traffic, etc. and I noticed yesterday my shift indicator doesn't display and I can't change drive modes (being stuck in 'normal,' or whatever the crippled mode is really sucks). Problem is, like my 'defective' horn (missing a note), even if the dealer changes the module(s) I'll likely still have the problem. Combined with the rough idle with AC on a hot day it's clear Ford didn't bother to do any hot-weather testing on these cars.

EDIT: Didn't happen yesterday (Friday), but it only got up to 94 and my car wasn't out in the sun as long. Next week, we're looking at over 100degF temps all week, should be a good time to let the dealer at least confirm the issue (not sure how they'd fix it, as it's probably a defective electronics module of some sort, and the dealer would just swap in a new one, like the 'defective' horn).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Took the Bullitt to the dealer today. They left it out in the sun, as instructed, but couldn't reproduce the problem(s) (natch). But, it only got up to 96deg today, this problem seems to occur when ambient temps are above 100 and it sits in the sun for a couple hours. So, I'll be taking it back in in a week or two. They did say there were no TSBs for this, but it's definitely happening. Next time it happens I'll get it on video so they don't think I'm a crank.
Sponsored