Sponsored

Getting the itch again

• Thread starter Deleted member 35644
  • Start date
  • Watchers 9

Deleted member 35644

After all the trouble I went through to get it, I'm thinking about getting rid of the V6. I love so many things about it, but am getting weary of the 6-speed.

Found this about 50 miles from my house. It's pretty much set up the way I'd want it with the wheels and leather. Just wondering about the wisdom of buying a used car in this market, although the price doesn't seem too far out of line for the mileage and equipment.

https://www.5starford.com/inventory...sed-2018-Ford-Mustang-North-Richland-Hills-TX

Drove my significant other's convertible last night. That thing will run circles around the V6, and the transmission behaves much better than the one I had in my '18 coupe.

I think I may go drive it to see how it behaves.

Signed,
Conflicted
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I second CJ - The V6 is a bit of a gem that Ford strategically neglected (with respect to how it was positioned in the Mustang line-up). It also sounds great, and better than the Eco (subjective, yes.)

Depends on what you want - is the stick the main thing making you want to switch? Or is it more of a "weak" reason used to get something new? Running circles around your current car, that would not add much weight for someone like me, who emphasizes more of a driving "experience" as opposed to what is the fastest in the 1320, 0-60s etc. However, metrics like that may be more of a priority for you, so just have to weigh it out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

I second CJ - The V6 is a bit of a gem that Ford strategically neglected (with respect to how it was positioned in the Mustang line-up). It also sounds great, and better than the Eco (subjective, yes.)

Depends on what you want - is the stick the main thing making you want to switch? Or is it more of a "weak" reason used to get something new? Running circles around your current car, that would not add much weight for someone like me, who emphasizes more of a driving "experience" as opposed to what is the fastest in the 1320, 0-60s etc. However, metrics like that may be more of a priority for you, so just have to weigh it out.
It absolutely sounds better, which is one of the reasons I love the V6. It just became pretty clear last night how much of a power advantage the Ecoboost has over it, combined with that automatic that keeps it right in its power band at all times. You have to work that V6 & MT82 pretty hard to get the same kind of power that the Ecoboost is putting down at leisurely revs. I was out and around some slow traffic in the blink of an eye last night, where it takes some work and revs to get the V6 moving like that. I'm by no means a boy racer, but I like to have something in the reserves when I need it. These two cars go about making power very differently from one another.

If I'm to be honest, I miss having remote start too. I know I can have an aftermarket unit installed, but I'm not a fan of having the factory wiring hacked into. I also thought I'd be ok with a manual in Dallas traffic, as the Focus ST was a snap to drive, even when the jams were severe. The Mustang isn't that effortless. It can get a little tiring (I'm old).

Not sure I'll even pursue it...but it's tempting. It's been a long while since I drove the convertible, and it really put a smile on my face last night.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
I think they are both great motors but if your significant other all ready has an EcoBoost 10A car I would not buy the same thing- It is nice having 2 different options for a weekend cruise

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It absolutely sounds better, which is one of the reasons I love the V6. It just became pretty clear last night how much of a power advantage the Ecoboost has over it, combined with that automatic that keeps it right in its power band at all times. You have to work that V6 & MT82 pretty hard to get the same kind of power that the Ecoboost is putting down at leisurely revs. I was out and around some slow traffic in the blink of an eye last night, where it takes some work and revs to get the V6 moving like that. I'm by no means a boy racer, but I like to have something in the reserves when I need it. These two cars go about making power very differently from one another.

If I'm to be honest, I miss having remote start too. I know I can have an aftermarket unit installed, but I'm not a fan of having the factory wiring hacked into. I also thought I'd be ok with a manual in Dallas traffic, as the Focus ST was a snap to drive, even when the jams were severe. The Mustang isn't that effortless. It can get a little tiring (I'm old).

Not sure I'll even pursue it...but it's tempting. It's been a long while since I drove the convertible, and it really put a smile on my face last night.
Just saw Brent's post and he has a great point too, about having the option.

However, based on your reply, it does sound like you have reasons that make a switch valid. The price is a bit high though. Can you wait? Getting tired of the shifting and also having to work for the power, that itself could be enough - I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual guy, but I can see how it can get old for someone with the additional reasons you cited.

In some ways, a downgrade still, but in others, its an upgrade for you, which is something to also keep in-mind, as you have.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I would have to agree with the others. I've had the Ecoboost for 4 1/2 years and while it was a peppy car, if I was you I'd keep the V6. Maybe I'm biased but I prefer NA motor vs. FI, especially in this scenario where the 2.3L pushes 310 while the 3.7L pushes 300 (detuned, mine you) so if you want more power, you can easily get it tuned.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
I would have to agree with the others. I've had the Ecoboost for 4 1/2 years and while it was a peppy car, if I was you I'd keep the V6. Maybe I'm biased but I prefer NA motor vs. FI, especially in this scenario where the 2.3L pushes 310 while the 3.7L pushes 300 (detuned, mine you) so if you want more power, you can easily get it tuned.
HP is close but its the downlow TQ he is feeling and enjoying in his wifes car that the FI brings. He wouldn't reach that TQ downlow in the V6 without FI.

That said. I temporarily have an ecoboost. Its a fun peppy car especially with the PP and magneride when the transmission is operating right. Waiting on my GT that is scheduled to be built. That said. If I had the choice in 2019 of a v6 or ecoboost I would have went v6 for various reasons.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

HP is close but its the downlow TQ he is feeling and enjoying in his wifes car that the FI brings. He wouldn't reach that TQ downlow in the V6 without FI.

That said. I temporarily have an ecoboost. Its a fun peppy car especially with the PP and magneride when the transmission is operating right. Waiting on my GT that is scheduled to be built. That said. If I had the choice in 2019 of a v6 or ecoboost I would have went v6 for various reasons.
Please elaborate. The transmission is the primary reason I got rid of my '18 coupe. If "indecisive" and "rough", the two best descriptors of my transmission, are widespread, I'll keep what I have.

Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver

Yeah I mean that's a fair assessment bro. I was simply pointing out the fact that Ford undermined the Cyclone motor (3.7) in order to market/push for the 4 cylinder Ecoboost platform, and I personally believe that the V6 powerplant has a stronger base for mods if that's what you choose, and longevity wise it's a better choice.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please elaborate. The transmission is the primary reason I got rid of my '18 coupe. If "indecisive" and "rough", the two best descriptors of my transmission, are widespread, I'll keep what I have.
I have the MT-82 6speed manual. It has been a nightmare and Ford has had it a total of 72days in 3 trips working on it. It still grinds gears leaks fluid and smokes from the leaking when warm. Ford is building me a new car under lemon law.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

I have the MT-82 6speed manual. It has been a nightmare and Ford has had it a total of 72days in 3 trips working on it. It still grinds gears leaks fluid and smokes from the leaking when warm. Ford is building me a new car under lemon law.
I was referring to your comment about the transmission in your loaner.

I temporarily have an ecoboost. Its a fun peppy car especially with the PP and magneride when the transmission is operating right. Waiting on my GT that is scheduled to be built.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

How soon people forget that 300HP was the domain of many of the famous muscle cars of the 70’s, and now that’s good not enough. SMH.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was referring to your comment about the transmission in your loaner.

I temporarily have an ecoboost. Its a fun peppy car especially with the PP and magneride when the transmission is operating right. Waiting on my GT that is scheduled to be built.
I don't have a loaner. Im allowed to drive the car (my 19 ecoboost mt82) until the new one is built even though its not operating right. Temporarily means until the dealer gets my new car I still have my old one then I swap.

Most of the time it grinds but sometimes it will shift smooth as butter. When its working right its a blast to drive.
Sponsored