Sponsored

Getting rear seats to lay flat

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Has anyone tried to remove rear seat bottoms so tops will lay flat? I have a small 4 legged friend that needs flat space.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I've seen it done in other 2+2 coupes, not sure why it couldn't be done in the Mustang.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ther have been rear-seat delete packages for all the Muscular Mustangs, including the S197. I haven't researched the matter for S550, but it's about time that came up. Not an easy conversion, if it's quick convertability you're going for.

CFUG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If all you are asking for is horizontal seat backs then yes, they will go 0deg with the cushions removed. However, length of those backs is very short...

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that what I want, for the seats backs to lay flat so my short legged dog can walk/lay around in back seat area. Dog lays on front seat floorboard now. Figure it would be a lot better if I could lay seat backs down so there would be a large flat area to lay or walk around.

Do you he bottoms snap out from catch at bottom of seat? Probably have bolts at rear?

Sponsored

CFUG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
(assumption here since I don't own a '17) No bolts for the cushion. Like most other makes, just held in place by friction against the seat backs aft and friction clips in forward. Approx. midpoint on the seating surface of the cushion will be two tension clips (one for each side). Slip your hand below the cushion and floor sheet metal and fish around for that clip. Push towards rear on the clip whilst lifting on the cushion. Might take some strength on your part!

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Just a head's up... if your four legged friend goes from the back seat into the trunk (while the seats are down), there are some sharp edges on the underside of the trunk. Probably not a good idea in case you hit a bump and impale Fido sparta-style on the underside of your trunk lid.

You probably want to do something like this:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-seat-delete-kit-2015.html
388917?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'd suggest just leaving the dog at home. A car isn't really a friendly place for a dog.

Sponsored

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
I don’t know why Ford doesn’t revert to the Sportdeck design used on the 65 fastback. It made the car a true 2+2, totally practical and great looking. Google “1965 Mustang 2+2 interior” for images.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Does the dog really need to walk around? Just get an old blanket and stuff it into the seats so it sits somewhat flat. Otherwise get a piece of cheap plastiboard from Home Depot, cut it so it fits in the back on top of the seats, wrap it in the blanket or something and put it on top of the seats. Don't put the dog in there with the seats down. There are way too many crevices for a dog to get a leg stuck and broken or go rolling into the trunk.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
With the seat bottoms out, the seat backs will lay flat.

To remove them run your finger along the front side and you will feel a small divot in the middle of each seat. Push in that clip and pull up, the seat will come out. It's incredibly easy.

As pointed out, because of the opening into the trunk your dog may go flying into the trunk while your driving. I would go with the rear seat delete kit shown above, or make something to cover the opening.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the information.
Sponsored