Getting a tune done at some stage

Stang85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2017
As you all know I've had my 2017 EB Stang for almost a month now and to me it's the best vehicle I have ever owned.
Such a joy to drive.
Now just thinking at some stage I might get a few mods done like bigger intercooler better air filter etc.. and of course get a tune done this will be my first tune.
but not 100% sure as I'm a bit concerned about eco boom but I'm sure it should be fine as the engine has been well looked after and still has very low k's miles.

Have been looking at the cobb accessport v3 this turner seems to be the most popular choice and very reliable I believe?

I also read that PD turning and Ryan do some great custom tunes.

Any EB users that have had PD turning done by Ryan and are pleased with the results?

And no problems or issues after the tune?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
PD Tuning with a Cobb seems to be the best combo from what I've seen too, should serve you well. I'm thinking of the Ford Performance tune for mine since I'm still under warranty.

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
Tuned by Ryan @ PD tuning here. He is very patient and the process was great. He starts off very conservative with the tune and it builds up with each revision. On the 93 octane tune we went through a total of seven revisions. Then latter I went and added a Turbosmart 12psi wastegate and went with another three revisions to get it dialed in. Also have the A10 transmission tune. Working on getting methanol and tuned for that.

I would say to get all your mods that you want to do done before tuning or pay for the lifetime tune so you don’t have to pay for a revision. Also have a fresh set of spark plugs installed and gapped before starting the tuning process. Have fun.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I would ask a lot of questions. There seems to be a big difference between what a Cobb pro-tuner can do now vs what they could do 1-2 years ago (whenever Cobb fell under EPA threat and revealed their Project "Green Speed" changes). So anyone's experience with a particular tuner from more than a year or two ago may be very different from what you can expect today. I think the tuners have been a little quiet on this, since it obviously isn't good for their business. Some have suggested that the current Cobb OTS tunes are pretty good and might be all that most people need.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
There is a ton of good info on Cobbs website for you to look thru to have an idea of what they can and cannot/will not do now due to EPA regulations.

The fact you are in AU may affect what they can do for you versus here in the USA based on differing emission regulations. It would be wise to contact Cobb tech for more info.

BD

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stang85

Stang85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Tuned by Ryan @ PD tuning here. He is very patient and the process was great. He starts off very conservative with the tune and it builds up with each revision. On the 93 octane tune we went through a total of seven revisions. Then latter I went and added a Turbosmart 12psi wastegate and went with another three revisions to get it dialed in. Also have the A10 transmission tune. Working on getting methanol and tuned for that.

I would say to get all your mods that you want to do done before tuning or pay for the lifetime tune so you don’t have to pay for a revision. Also have a fresh set of spark plugs installed and gapped before starting the tuning process. Have fun.
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking get the mods done first then get a tune done.
So what mods have you done so far?

OP
OP
Stang85

Stang85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
There is a ton of good info on Cobbs website for you to look thru to have an idea of what they can and cannot/will not do now due to EPA regulations.

The fact you are in AU may affect what they can do for you versus here in the USA based on differing emission regulations. It would be wise to contact Cobb tech for more info.

BD
Yes that's a good idea might ask them some questions

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking get the mods done first then get a tune done.
So what mods have you done so far?
mods are the following
S&B cold air intake
Mishimoto clone street intercooler
Roush catback exhaust
JLT oil catch can
Turbosmart 12psi wategate
Cobb accessport
93 octane PD tune with A10 transmission tune
And then have suspension mods from Ford Performance and BMR. Snow Performance just came out with an intake manifold direct port injection methanol kit that I will be adding next.
When I first added the wastegate and on the first revision map the car ran a 8.49 in the 1/8 mile on a 105 degree Texas day.

OP
OP
Stang85

Stang85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
mods are the following
S&B cold air intake
Mishimoto clone street intercooler
Roush catback exhaust
JLT oil catch can
Turbosmart 12psi wategate
Cobb accessport
93 octane PD tune with A10 transmission tune
And then have suspension mods from Ford Performance and BMR. Snow Performance just came out with an intake manifold direct port injection methanol kit that I will be adding next.
When I first added the wastegate and on the first revision map the car ran a 8.49 in the 1/8 mile on a 105 degree Texas day.
I've seen the Mishimoto clone street intercoolers on ebay and wondered what they were like no issues at all?

Do you think it's a must to get a oil catch can its like a safe guard isn't it?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mishi clone ICs seem to be fairly good quality as I have not read of anyone complain about issues with them in the forum, I am sure if there were issues, we would read about them.

Yes, the catch can is a safeguard item to help prevent oil mist/vapor from entering the intake airflow which will dilute the fuel mixture causing a lower octane level than what's in the tank which can lead to detonation in the cylinders. That can cause engine damage if too much mist/vapor gets mixed with fuel.

BD

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stang85

Stang85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mishi clone ICs seem to be fairly good quality as I have not read of anyone complain about issues with them in the forum, I am sure if there were issues, we would read about them.

Yes, the catch can is a safeguard item to help prevent oil mist/vapor from entering the intake airflow which will dilute the fuel mixture causing a lower octane level than what's in the tank which can lead to detonation in the cylinders. That can cause engine damage if too much mist/vapor gets mixed with fuel.

BD
What I'm thinking of doing now is get the cobb and maybe get a Airaid Modular Intake Tube and either a cobb or K&N drop in filter
With a cobb stage 1 tune
Question is can I run the stage 1 tune for a little while with the stock intercooler?

If I do it this way I can save up the funds and get other mods done later.

OP
OP
Stang85

Stang85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You can do better than mishi on the I tercooler. Wagner and cvf.

The tune isn't about more power, it's to fix the ghastly Ford tune that should have earned a prison sentence for the fueling engineer.

The downpipe has merit and if you want more noise a y pipe to bypass the resonator and a gt exhaust might be helpful.

Irrespective of previous, wrap the exhaust before and alongside the pumpkin if you're track-bound.

I find selecting sport mode is useful to quicken the throttle response since IMO the eco should be driven with a lot more gas than you might be accustomed to using. I switch between 3 different v8s and the eco and it takes a while to reprogram the right foot to use hella more throttle than I do in the big cars.

But I also drive stick so don't have to live with the hideous a10 behavior. Fixing that alone is worthy of a tune.

Last edited:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What I'm thinking of doing now is get the cobb and maybe get a Airaid Modular Intake Tube and either a cobb or K&N drop in filter
With a cobb stage 1 tune
Question is can I run the stage 1 tune for a little while with the stock intercooler?

If I do it this way I can save up the funds and get other mods done later.
Yes stage 1 does not require an IC so is fine with stock IC and just drop in filter. Neither modular intake tube or drop in filter will increase power at all but just add some intake sound, stage 1 tune will add some power but mainly better calibration strategy as @shogun32 stated when compared to factory tune.

Stage 2 does require IC for use, as stated read the Cobb info, there is a wealth of info on their website.

BD
Sponsored