Get wheels painted?

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I kind of agree that the black top and the black vinyl definitely marry the car top and bottom. I believe a dark gray wheel might not marry with the yellow as well. But then, it is your car and you are the one who needs to be happy with it.

As for painting, I painted my own wheels using a good wheel paint. No question, take the wheels off the car if you choose to paint the wheels yourself.

The wheel is a more vulnerable place for rock dings (and even sand blasting in sandy Florida along the coast which I've personally witnessed).

You want a durable surface, and only by removing them can you ensure adequate coverage. Speaking of a durable surface, I applied a 2-part clear coat to accomplish that. SprayMax 2K Gloss Clear is what I used.

Prep, prep, prep. No short cuts here. I used a combination of sandpaper and steel wool to rough up all the nooks and crannies mentioned above, to get optimum adhesion. Of course, clean, clean, clean prior to painting.

While you will want to take the wheels off the car, it is not necessary to take tires off the wheels. In my situation, I fabricated paint masks from plastic sheet material from an art store to protect the tire and other nearby surfaces.

I recommend painting on a raised surface (like covered serving tray tables) so you can observe coverage and apply a more even coat in all the hard-to-cover places.

Sound like too much work??? Maybe paying someone is a better option, whether it be obtaining new wheels you really love, or having a professional paint your current wheels.

BTW...I kind of liked the matching yellow calipers in the photoshopping. It seemed to marry the sea of black with the rest of the car.

Anyway, just my perspective.
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
I kind of agree that the black top and the black vinyl definitely marry the car top and bottom. I believe a dark gray wheel might not marry with the yellow as well. But then, it is your car and you are the one who needs to be happy with it.

As for painting, I painted my own wheels using a good wheel paint. No question, take the wheels off the car if you choose to paint the wheels yourself.

The wheel is a more vulnerable place for rock dings (and even sand blasting in sandy Florida along the coast which I've personally witnessed).

You want a durable surface, and only by removing them can you ensure adequate coverage. Speaking of a durable surface, I applied a 2-part clear coat to accomplish that. SprayMax 2K Gloss Clear is what I used.

Prep, prep, prep. No short cuts here. I used a combination of sandpaper and steel wool to rough up all the nooks and crannies mentioned above, to get optimum adhesion. Of course, clean, clean, clean prior to painting.

While you will want to take the wheels off the car, it is not necessary to take tires off the wheels. In my situation, I fabricated paint masks from plastic sheet material from an art store to protect the tire and other nearby surfaces.

I recommend painting on a raised surface (like covered serving tray tables) so you can observe coverage and apply a more even coat in all the hard-to-cover places.

Sound like too much work??? Maybe paying someone is a better option, whether it be obtaining new wheels you really love, or having a professional paint your current wheels.

BTW...I kind of liked the matching yellow calipers in the photoshopping. It seemed to marry the sea of black with the rest of the car.

Anyway, just my perspective.
Thank you very much for the information and your thoughts. Who would think that picking a wheel would be such a challenge? Ha!!!

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Second vote for paint vs powder coat. I have been told by reputable source in the tire and wheel business that powder coating can affect the temper of aluminum wheels. So a safety concern in my opinion.

Sponsored

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
I’ve used Wheel Repair Solutions to repair and refinish wheels on three of my cars, including my Gloss Graphite SVE wheels which I had them refinish in Gloss Black powder coating.

I’ve done 6 HPDE track days on the repaired and refinished wheels as well as daily driven them.

I’m not trying to sway you one way or the other on the “paint vs. powder coat” decision, just want to share my positive experience using a reputable company that specializes in wheel repair and refinishing using powder coating and their quality results 👍

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Just a little clarification on why 2K Clear Coat.

If you are like me, there have been times I could not avoid a road with road tar or other solvent based road debris and had to use a harsh cleaner to remove the sticky stuff. This is where 2k paint excels. Additionally, a 2K formula gives a harder coat to minimize impact damage (compared to the basic pigment paints).

One word of caution.....Do not spray 2K without a breathing apparatus. Your lung health is far more important that saving a few bucks you'd spend on a respirator. Amazon, among many other sources, has a wide variety available for reasonable prices, with good reviews.

Of course, wearing them when doing ANY painting is a great idea even if your paint doesn't have isocyanates.

DRIVEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
You can paint with tires on but I would suggest for a perfect job remove rubber. That price for painting was very reasonable, make sure they do good work. Prep is everything sanding and cleaning are tedious but so important

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Thank you very much for the information and your thoughts. Who would think that picking a wheel would be such a challenge? Ha!!!
I know what you mean! I ordered my car back in October and immediately started looking at wheels. Took delivery in February thinking I'd made up my mind on the wheels I'd be buying.... guess who still doesn't have new wheels as we get ready to enter July!

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 86 SVO, 24 S5, 74 MGB GT
Or for about $100 (not long lasting) plastic dip. Don't like the color. Just pick a new one!

Sponsored
OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Wheels are an important part of the appearance of your car.

OP have a look at your car again. It looks great with the silver wheels!

20190903_112756.jpg
Those look great. I think if I do decide to change it will be for anthracite wheels. Black just doesn't do it for me overall. Silver is nice as well, which is why I'm not even 100% sure I want to change from my stock.