Gentle Clunk Turning Left - any advice?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
When I make a wide turn I get a clunk. Mechanic thought it was a bad strut. Replaced it and the mounts and clunk remains. (I took opportunity to upgrade entire suspension to Ford Performance parts)

Does not happen on slight left turns, has to turn the wheel a good bit.

Mechanic checked everything visually/checked for tightness by hand and everything looks good.

I don't get the clunk turning to the right - left only.

Looking for thoughts on next steps, figure many issues are common on these cars.

Could be wheel bearing or steering rack related maybe?

Thanks. The issue is not obvious at all, everything looks good underneath & as it should.
Sponsored

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any play? My friend had something similar. Slight clunk when turning one way. Checked the usual suspension things - all fine. Wasn't until we jacked it up, took the wheel off that we reproduced the issue. We saw that the halfshaft (FW drive car) had some slight play at the hub, and on a full lock it, would clunk. I'll try and share a video in case it is a similar noise.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In the front -
Hubs, control arm pivots, swaybar endlinks, swaybar brackets, strut top bolts, strut to spindle bolts. Strut tower bolts. All of those might clunk. Check them all.

Too bad your mechanic got it wrong, but if you already did springs+shocks, then its probably not the endlinks, strut top bolts, or strut to spindle bolts (those all get refastened when the shocks go in)

Check control arms for play and wheel hubs for play. Check the strut tower brace bolts. Generally just get down there with the wheels jacked up off the ground and start trying to wiggle the wheel to see what's moving. If its clunking, then surely its moving. Hub might clunk without obvious play, but front hubs don't fail super often.

Sponsored

jb_MCM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost Premium Convertible
Another vote for control arm (though I'd hope the Ford Performance ones are a bit more robust than stock) - My lightly driven '16 has gone through a couple; I recall reading somewhere it's known issue on the S550

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thank you everyone for your feedback!

OP