Sponsored

Anyone hear a ratcheting/clunking on hard left?

Lynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang
Mine does it too and only when its cold start in the mornings, seems weather related since it does not happen when car is warmed up
Sponsored

whitemouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Performance Pack, White
Lynx, mine too. Only when leaving the house; i.e. cold.
Has anyone else noticed that the clunk telegraphs through the pedals?
I have. Replicated twice at the dealership--I heard it, but the guys driving
said they did not. Window regulators make a slight crunch noise at
the end of travel too.
I have asked Jeff with Ford Service to help push this through.
It is worriesome, the clunk/thud from the steering.
Thanks

whitemouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
update 1: two techs (one suspension, one trim) managed to replicate the noise in the dealership parking lot. it has been determined that it is coming from inside the car. I am here now. I will post what, if anything, they find. Ford has been really good so far in following up. And so has the dealer. I am impressed, again, so far.

whitemouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
update 2: dealer has determined the noise is now coming from outside the car
i am leaving it to have it hopefully fixed. another issue is the trunk lid is misaligned, a common problem. paint has worn off where small portion of trunk lid meets the taillight. they are fixing that. 2-3 days, no loaner. oh well! i will let you know what they find out about steering issue.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
so what is the issue?

curious, because I am hearing this lately.

Only when backing at full lock, and only when cold weather.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Mine does it and one I test drove this weekend does it as well. It is almost like the front brakes are grabbing or the wheel is snagging on the strut, I know its not the strut thing but its like something is holding the wheel.

whitemouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update 3: just got the car back this morning. entire electric steering rack replaced. 5 days no loaner. unfortunately, same issue still persists. 6400 miles. 1 year old.

I was told the stops for steering are internal to the rack, not external, as on the spindle. This is the issue. It is a design flaw that will only be remedied with a new design for the rack. And yes, only when wheel is turned full left.

I understand F150s are having a similar issue.

Dealership was good on helping me, I must say.

2L8IWON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Interesting, I noticed this issue in earnest about 2 weeks ago when backing out of my parking spot at work.

Any TSBs related that you know of?

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Not sure if this is the same thing but I occasionally get a single "POP" when in a parking lot, at full steering lock. Interestingly, I can't recall if this only happens when turned left or right. I want to say that on the occasions that it happens, it usually after backing out of a parking space, and then turning all the way and moving forward. The noise is a single "pop" and nothing else. It almost feels like the whole front of the car jumps a millimeter or something (obviously hard to explain).

Mine is a 2015 that I bought new in 02/15 so I've had it for quite some time. I'm at about 33,000 miles now. It definitely seems to happen more often in the cold temps. Also, I feel like it happened more with the factory Pzero summer tires (especially in the cold). Now that I have Conti DWS06's, I can't recall hearing/feeling it lately. In my case, I would def say it has nothing to do with the diff as it was 100% coming from the front of the car.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Anyone having this issue with a Non PP car or any car that is not running summer tires in the cold? Mine jsut started doing it when we got this cold snap and only now that I have the PZero summers back on it with my other wheels with DSW06s it does not do it and the new 2017 PP I test drove did it but only when cold just like mine I am having ford buy back. In other words I think the tires are doing it

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Dealer told me that the LS diff makes that noise when they are cold. Mine does it (this winter, but not last) when I'm backing up to the right and turn left to drive away. Mechanic I know there said his F150 does it too and it's not a problem. But, I don't know... sounds bad initially, but it goes away after the car has been driven/warmed up. So it could be the diff.

whitemouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L8IWON: no, no TSBs that I am aware of.
Speedfrk: interesting, but as I mentioned earlier, I could feel the clunk
telegraph through the pedals. And my diff has made noises; this wasn't it. I knew it was steering related. It nearly felt
like a u-joint in the steering shaft binding.
Tech seemed to know immediately what the issue was. Let me know what you guys that
are experiencing the same sound/feel find out please.