Sponsored

Anyone hear a ratcheting/clunking on hard left?

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
This thread is for front end noise... not rear.
Yep. Mine def has absolutely nothing to do with the diff. It's 100% from the front of the car. Again, with the new A/S tires, I haven't felt it in a while. Will try to recreate it.

2015 GT non-PP with the factory 20" (now with DWS06's)
Sponsored

HPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Mustang
Have the same noise with my 2016 Ecoboost premium (backing out of driveway or parking lot). I'm also getting metal on metal grinding noise which sounds like it's coming from the general area of the brakes. Not convinced that its the brakes though...noise happens even when I'm not stepping on the brakes. It doesn't happen as often as the popping noise when backing out. Somehow I think they are related since it's all happening in the same area.

Has anyone heard anything from Ford at this point?

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Update 3: just got the car back this morning. entire electric steering rack replaced. 5 days no loaner. unfortunately, same issue still persists. 6400 miles. 1 year old.

I was told the stops for steering are internal to the rack, not external, as on the spindle. This is the issue. It is a design flaw that will only be remedied with a new design for the rack. And yes, only when wheel is turned full left.

I understand F150s are having a similar issue.

Dealership was good on helping me, I must say.
Ive been trying to figure out this noise for a long time and can't really place it. It's definitely no clunk sound but more like some rubbing sound only when turning hard left from a standstill, the sound is gone once back in motion and wheels get positioned straight again.

Any tips to point this out to the dealer?

IndyMustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Premium, PP, silver
I just purchased a new 2016 GT PP, that has the pZero summer tires. I've heard the same pop when in reverse, backing up to the left. I too thought it sounded like a front wheel drive cv joint popping. Did it in extreme cold.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Mine is definitely a clunk or pop. No way it's tire rub.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
my 16 did it when its cold out and my 17 does it too. I put a set of DWS06 tires on and no more. I think it is the tire slipping when cold

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
My car does the same thing. When I back up hard left and brake. I get a "kunk" noise from the front and driver side. I noticed this happen often when it is below 30F.

Sponsored

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
If they are not the AS then yes it could be. Temps below 60 running summer tires= hard as a rock and easy to break loose.
I have AS. I bet is bushings.

My car is lowered. I start to think the stock shock and struts can take the lowered springs.

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
my 16 did it when its cold out and my 17 does it too. I put a set of DWS06 tires on and no more. I think it is the tire slipping when cold
I also believe the tires (the crap OEM Pirelli's) are the cause of this. I didn't notice this during last years winter because I still had almost full tread on my tires. This winter, when the tread is much lower (needs to be replaced), it happens when cold.

I also get a loud pop on the right side when I go over a speed bump when cold, but that is a different story.
Sponsored