Sponsored

Anyone hear a ratcheting/clunking on hard left?

sliptf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP Manual
Has anyone had any odd noises when turning their wheel hard at a stop or at very low speeds?

When I'm at dead stop or very slow (<5mph) and I turn the wheel HARD to the left, I hear a quiet mechanical ratcheting/clunking noise. It's quiet, and hard to find a source. I usually hear it when going to the left after backing out of a parking space, or in low speed parking lot maneuvers.

I put it on stands and still heard the noise, and tried hunting it down while under the car but I couldn't pin it to anything more specific than near the base of the steering column.

I took it to the dealer, and they told me "It's just a characteristic of the new mustangs" and not to worry about it. I haven't been able to find any threads on it here, so something tells me that they just don't have a real answer and couldn't find anything obvious either.

Has anyone heard a noise like this?
Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
OP
OP

sliptf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP Manual
Thanks PonyGrrrl! This doesn't seem to be the same type of thing. When I raised my car up, it still made the noise in midair.

I'm 100% sure it's not temperature related. I inspected every visible part of the steering system without taking things apart, and I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Has no one else heard anything like this from their car?

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
My car makes a loud vibrating noise when I'm driving slow and braking and turning to the the left. Doesn't make it when going straight or to the right.

YoAdrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 3.7 Metallic Grey
My car made a noise this morning that sounded similar. I initially thought that maybe it was transmission related? I don't know, but I too was going low speeds turing left.

Sponsored

Brownw01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walter
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP Guard
Heard this today when leaving work. Car was sitting in the cold (34 degrees) for about 7 hours when this happened.... ???

Speedtrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Only when I back out of the drive and roll down the curb

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
Mine happens in cold and sitting for several hours. Heading to dealer today. I will update with any info later tonight.

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
they could not find anything...oh well...

Crybaby5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Magnetic Metallic w/ PP
sliptf- I have heard the noise several times. Almost always backing out of a parking spot with the steering wheel cranked all the way to the left. The first couple of times I got out and looked to see if I had ran over something. I have about 12k on the car now and I have not heard the noise for a couple of months. Any luck in finding a cause?

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
sliptf- I have heard the noise several times. Almost always backing out of a parking spot with the steering wheel cranked all the way to the left. The first couple of times I got out and looked to see if I had ran over something. I have about 12k on the car now and I have not heard the noise for a couple of months. Any luck in finding a cause?
Mine happens in cold and sitting for several hours. Heading to dealer today. I will update with any info later tonight.
Only when I back out of the drive and roll down the curb
Heard this today when leaving work. Car was sitting in the cold (34 degrees) for about 7 hours when this happened.... ???
My car made a noise this morning that sounded similar. I initially thought that maybe it was transmission related? I don't know, but I too was going low speeds turing left.
My car makes a loud vibrating noise when I'm driving slow and braking and turning to the the left. Doesn't make it when going straight or to the right.
Has anyone had any odd noises when turning their wheel hard at a stop or at very low speeds?

When I'm at dead stop or very slow (<5mph) and I turn the wheel HARD to the left, I hear a quiet mechanical ratcheting/clunking noise. It's quiet, and hard to find a source. I usually hear it when going to the left after backing out of a parking space, or in low speed parking lot maneuvers.

I put it on stands and still heard the noise, and tried hunting it down while under the car but I couldn't pin it to anything more specific than near the base of the steering column.

I took it to the dealer, and they told me "It's just a characteristic of the new mustangs" and not to worry about it. I haven't been able to find any threads on it here, so something tells me that they just don't have a real answer and couldn't find anything obvious either.

Has anyone heard a noise like this?
Hey guys,

Let me help get these Pony's checked out. Send over your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll escalate to your regional customer service managers to further assist.

Jeff

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
had mine at the dealer for other issues & they said the couldn't duplicate it. Mine does it too only hard left slow speed. I back into the garage & happens when I leave if I go hard left out of the driveway.

Xanther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Happens on mine too. Hard turn when backing up (wheel all the way over) and it not only makes a noise, but also bumps a bit. Seems like it's roughly once per wheel turn? Haven't brought it in yet, but plan to soon. It's possible it might be temperature related, that it only happens when it's cold out.

fordyoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP - Magnetic
I just had mine in for service and the dealer said that they couldn't find or hear anything. I told them how to reproduce but they said the tech couldn't find anything...

It's like a loud clicking under hard braking and especially breaking into a left turn.

I guess I will be bringing it back next week for the same issue.
Sponsored