Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The musclecar fans of the day never could bring themselves to understand the Pinto. No V8, not even a sixxer initially, and not very fast no matter which engine Ford put in it.

It had better than average styling for the time (and its subcompact category), and much better potential as a sports car/sport coupe. Better than most sports car fans were willing to give it credit for, and (to their discredit) Ford never really explored that direction for either the Pinto or the Mustang II.

Norm
Pinto = Vega less the explosive qualities of the former. I don't think anyone except fans of putting large engines in crappy economy cars and those who drove them out of necessity cared about either one of them.
Then came Ralph Nader and bye bye Pinto.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Pinto = Vega less the explosive qualities of the former. I don't think anyone except fans of putting large engines in crappy economy cars and those who drove them out of necessity cared about either one of them.
Like I said, the car was under-appreciated by the musclecar crowd for the obvious reason (short of it being the basis for a V8 swap project) and the sports car people still tended to look down on anything that was U.S. Domestic.

A few recognized the car's potential as a sports car / autocross car, enough of us for small companies like Spearco to exist and for the various aftermarket sources of engine hard parts to develop products for the car as well.

The Mustang II by being a little bigger and somewhat heavier (and more nose-heavy) represented a weakening of the Pinto's strengths as a sports car in exchange for gaining a little street credibility when it finally got its proper V8.

Norm

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, the car was under-appreciated by the musclecar crowd for the obvious reason (short of it being the basis for a V8 swap project) and the sports car people still tended to look down on anything that was U.S. Domestic.

A few recognized the car's potential as a sports car / autocross car, enough of us for small companies like Spearco to exist and for the various aftermarket sources of engine hard parts to develop products for the car as well.

The Mustang II by being a little bigger and somewhat heavier (and more nose-heavy) represented a weakening of the Pinto's strengths as a sports car in exchange for gaining a little street credibility when it finally got its proper V8.

Norm
I'll say this. As a placeholder it did a great job. I would still own one if it were the only thing around.
At the time, that world if I remember correctly, 1973-75, was dominated by the F body 2and gen Camaros and Firebirds due to the 455SD, LT1, and the exposure to arguably the first muscle car that actually considered handling as a design parameter. GM was moving forward and Ford backward, but those were challenging times.
The Mustang 2 had no chance at the time, IMHO vs. the 2nd gen F bodies nevermind the Corvette.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But then again, I'm partial to 2nd gen F bodies so I may be somewhat biased.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I always felt the 15-17 looked too much like a fusion very watered down. Not menacing at all. The 18+ to me looks mean. And the tail lights and rear diffuser on the 18 are waaaaaaay nicer. Period.

dequardo50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Premium. Magnetic. 6sp auto.
15-17s for me

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
IF I would buy another Mustang (which I highly doubt will happen), it would have to be a GT350 or GT500. Sure as h*ll not a 2018 on up GT or EB. They definitely took a step backwards in looks.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I ordered a MY'17 late July '16. I liked the 15-17 front over the 18. Back then pics and info were starting to come out. I did like some of the features of the refresh tbh. But if U wait on the new new, then U can always wait. I still like the 15+ front over the 18+. But I have put in the digital cluster and quad tips with an AC diffusser. Those were some of the features I wanted from the refresh. Still would like to have the different exhaust modes.
Sadly the 15-17 exports came without hood vents, Tri-bar DRL, strut tower brace, and PP gauges. Ford put half the stuff on, on the 18+.

Varanjar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm surprised by some of the replies here. The cars are nearly identical, to the point where you have to look close to figure out which year it is. Pointed headlight corners or cut-off ones... Straight tail lights or angled... I can understand having a preference, but I don't know how you could think any particular year is ugly. You'd think you were talking about Camaros, the true abomination.

I'm one of the many here who remembers when the Mustang II was new, and it did get a lot of flak where I was, but what hurt it more where I grew up was the fact that cheap musclecars were everywhere. Any kid in high school could have a '60s Nova, Camaro, GTO, etc etc. People didn't really do anything with the Mustang II because no one had any money in the '70s, and you could get a beater '68 fastback, or whatever for pennies. They didn't care about the car, period. A neighbor kid had a '65 fastback with a 289 that he rattle-canned the interior in just to change the color. That's how common that stuff was.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I dunno. I think the new Mach 1 looks better than my 17. Good thing it's just my opinion.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
What I don't get is people complaining that it looks like a Fusion. IMO, the Fusion is a good looking car.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This is a silly thread. I read them all just for fun. Of coarse every comment is biased toward what that person owns lol!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
This is a silly thread. I read them all just for fun. Of coarse every comment is biased toward what that person owns lol!
Unless you put a 2107 and 2018 next to each other, I couldn't tell them apart and really wouldn't care. I can't even make up some lame reason why I like the 2018 cosmetics better.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I think you just might have figured out everything there is to know about people.
Never cared for the s197 looks. When the 15's came out, boom I was hooked. Then waited 2 years for the colour I wanted. For the 18+ I just don't like the squished very angular front end, or the M82 D4.
Sponsored