Sponsored

Gen 4 whipple sneak peak

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m gonna throw out some information that isn’t secret. Shawn, the OP, knows me well and my current setup.

I am currently and have been running for the last 6 months what has been humoursly called a gen3.95 which is a modified gen3 body without gen4 rotors. Shawn has a true gen4 and his results should be the baseline for results or of course until Whipple and/or vendors release specs.

The gen3 is the largest gain from the gen2 on efficiency alone and with other tweaks as well. Putting gen4 rotors in a gen2 body will not net the gains even closely to what the gen3 can by itself. Confirming with Whipple will be the obvious choice of course.

The gen4, while an even better design by Whipple, won’t see the large gains compared to what the gen3 did to the gen2.

Lastly, the gen 5, while initially being only designed for 18’s and up, has seemed to have changed recently and that info is fairly new out there from someone much much more reliable than my statements here.

I know some of this is vague and that’s by choice as I’m nobody to be officially announcing anything that Whipple does. I am 100% a Whipple fan and they are some very genuine people that do great works.
As an entirely hypothetical question...
IF the Gen 5 could be used on the 15-17, is it likely that it would produce slightly more torque than a Gen 4 in the lower rpm range? I’m thinking the runners might be longer. Could be wrong on that of course.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Go to 5 minutes in the video to hear Dustin talk about the Gen 4.

Go to 6 minutes and you’ll hear about the new GEN 6 which will have different levels and will be adaptable to earlier models. Whipple is always moving forward

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Just to add to the conversation, a local acquaintance got one of the first Gen 4 2.9 Crushers for some early early testing (took his car to mod nationals, had the Gen 4 on by December 1st). Gen 2 2.9 Crusher to Gen 4 2.9 crusher yielded 1.78 lbs of boost increase with the same pulley combo, same tune, and total gains of 65rwhp and 40 ftlbs. Tons of room to crank it up too since he's on a built short block.

crane.JPG

crane chart.JPG

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Just to add to the conversation, a local acquaintance got one of the first Gen 4 2.9 Crushers for some early early testing (took his car to mod nationals, had the Gen 4 on by December 1st). Gen 2 2.9 Crusher to Gen 4 2.9 crusher yielded 1.78 lbs of boost increase with the same pulley combo, same tune, and total gains of 65rwhp and 40 ftlbs. Tons of room to crank it up too since he's on a built short block.

crane.JPG

crane chart.JPG
Yes Dustin mentioned to me about the really nice gains made with Gen 4 with the Cobra setups, awesome results by Bryan Crane or sure. I'm hopeful and excited for spring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
The hush hush on not putting a gen5 on the 2015-2017 gen2 engines makes zero sense to me.

It will physically fit and all a guy would have to do is buy a tuner kit and have someone like Palm Beach Dyno do the rest. A gen5 CAN be made to work on a gen2 engine, problem is the kit would have to be a la carte LOL.

The point im trying to make is whipple refused to support the gen5 for the previous gen2 engines on the 2015/2017 cars.

I asked and begged and pleaded for them to make the gen5 "backwards compatible"

They said they wouldnt support the whipple software for gen5 on a gen2 coyote engine.

Whoopdie do let PBD or AED, or Lund take care of that.

For the record there is a reason my sig name is Notagain........ Apparently Vendors dont like being called out and I may or may not have been banned a few times in the past thus a new Sig name.

Butttttt Aww shit look what youve made me do now Ive blown my cover.

Some people that have been around may know my previous Sig Names.

Its also a pet peeve of mine when Vendors over run the FI and Bolt on sections for their own advertisements and company gain.....

Ill just leave things at that.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Lund has tuned a Gen 5 on a built S197, made 11xxrwhp

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly!! So why Whipple leaves the 15/17 gen2 coyote crowd wanting a gen5 out to dry is beyond me. Offering software for them and a plug and play kit looks like easy money. They obviously have the hardware to make it happen.

Foxracing19931

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Exactly!! So why Whipple leaves the 15/17 gen2 coyote crowd wanting a gen5 out to dry is beyond me. Offering software for them and a plug and play kit looks like easy money. They obviously have the hardware to make it happen.
4E807EF4-CFC9-48BF-8B8B-6005E5797314.png

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The hush hush on not putting a gen5 on the 2015-2017 gen2 engines makes zero sense to me.

It will physically fit and all a guy would have to do is buy a tuner kit and have someone like Palm Beach Dyno do the rest. A gen5 CAN be made to work on a gen2 engine, problem is the kit would have to be a la carte LOL.

The point im trying to make is whipple refused to support the gen5 for the previous gen2 engines on the 2015/2017 cars.

I asked and begged and pleaded for them to make the gen5 "backwards compatible"

They said they wouldnt support the whipple software for gen5 on a gen2 coyote engine.

Whoopdie do let PBD or AED, or Lund take care of that.

For the record there is a reason my sig name is Notagain........ Apparently Vendors dont like being called out and I may or may not have been banned a few times in the past thus a new Sig name.

Butttttt Aww shit look what youve made me do now Ive blown my cover.

Some people that have been around may know my previous Sig Names.

Its also a pet peeve of mine when Vendors over run the FI and Bolt on sections for their own advertisements and company gain.....

Ill just leave things at that.
What would be the advantage of a Gen 5 over the Gen 4? I realise it’s a larger blower (100cc) but for the average punter, without a built engine, what is he going to achieve?

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the inverted blower and intercooler ontop is more effecient and looks cleaner too IMO.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
the inverted blower and intercooler ontop is more effecient and looks cleaner too IMO.
Do we know for a fact that it is in fact more “efficient” (Not a fan of that word in this instance) than the traditional method?
From my very basic understanding of the situation, Whipple (and others) only went inverted in order to make things fit under the hood.
I’d love to hear if that’s wrong.
I’ll be doing a swap at some point and I’m keen to do it right. :thumbsup:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh? Google the gen5 vs say gen3 whipple blower specs.

The intercooler is indeed larger and more effecient. Not to mention the gen5 rotor pack is obviously bigger too.

Last edited:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
IMO it is not as efficient. Whipple not doing as you want them to kinda indicates that as well. Only they have the proprietary data to make the best choice, and if that was to retrofit the gen 5 to the GEN 2 coyote, im sure they would have went that route.

The air flowing through an intercooler, making a U turn and flowing through another intercooler, sounds great for removing heat, not so great for improving airflow. The previous generations have to make an S turn after going through an intercooler, but whipple specifically designed their manifold to optimize air flow through it. so much so that you have to loosen the knock sensors, twist them out of the way, tighten them back down. The Gen 3 coyote DI system prevented this design from working, and modifying the design for clearance reduced the airflow efficiency too much. So they went to the upside down design. They made significant changes to make that design work better than the previous. A 3/4 rotor pack instead of 3/5(better for higher RPM), more of a twist to the helix, new bearings, and gears, larger displacement. All of which can be done to the previous gen superchargers. This is where I believe the gen 3 and 4 are coming from, the discoveries and improvements made getting the GEN 5 to what it needed to be. Whipple has made, tested, and collected the data from both designs. The fact they are sticking to the original, makes me think it is more efficient, or could be made to be so.
Sponsored