Sponsored

Gen 2 short block build, advice?

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Head gaskets went out, car is mixing coolant in oil, was eating oil for 7 months.
So tearing down motor to see what is reusable, heads should be good, replacing timing components, already ordered the following

MMR timing chain guides,
Boss 302R tensioners,
ARP timing chain and tensioner bolts,
MMR cam cap bolt set,
ARP 11mm head studs,
ARP Main bolts and side bolts,
MMR secondary tensioner plate,
MMR timing gear,
MMR crank timing gear,
MMR proboost head gaskets,
MMR secondary timing chains,
Ford Racing/GT350 timing chains,
JPC oil squirter block offs,
MMR High flow oil pickup,
New oil pan and gasket,

Don't know condition of the stock block so until it's pulled I don't want to order a rotating assembly, not sure if water jacket supports are needed for under 1200hp, currently using a gen 3 VMP blower. Also could not find a place that has the gen 2 block for 800.
Any advice on ring gaps or rotating assembly?
Was looking at modular head shops 1200hp rotating assembly.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Head gaskets went out, car is mixing coolant in oil, was eating oil for 7 months.
So tearing down motor to see what is reusable, heads should be good, replacing timing components, already ordered the following

MMR timing chain guides,
Boss 302R tensioners,
ARP timing chain and tensioner bolts,
MMR cam cap bolt set,
ARP 11mm head studs,
ARP Main bolts and side bolts,
MMR secondary tensioner plate,
MMR timing gear,
MMR crank timing gear,
MMR proboost head gaskets,
MMR secondary timing chains,
Ford Racing/GT350 timing chains,
JPC oil squirter block offs,
MMR High flow oil pickup,
New oil pan and gasket,

Don't know condition of the stock block so until it's pulled I don't want to order a rotating assembly, not sure if water jacket supports are needed for under 1200hp, currently using a gen 3 VMP blower. Also could not find a place that has the gen 2 block for 800.
Any advice on ring gaps or rotating assembly?
Was looking at modular head shops 1200hp rotating assembly.
First off stop buying stuff from MMR. Then go to vividracing.com and get a new block for $675. Mahle piston kit with rings. You can do rods if you want but if you plan on 1000hp or less you don’t need them. Honestly 99% of people that say that they are going to make 1000hp never will. Now add a boss crankshaft, king bearings, someone that knows what they are doing and you should be good.
stock block
Boss crankshaft
Mahle piston kit
King bearings
If you really are going to make over 1000whp
Callies compstar rods
Water jacket supports

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That much stuff from MMR?. No way. Why did the head gasket let go? Guessing detonation, but why? Knock sensor manipulation maybe.....

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That much stuff from MMR?. No way. Why did the head gasket let go? Guessing detonation, but why? Knock sensor manipulation maybe.....
If he had any MMR parts when it failed that’s probably why

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kahboom

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered from Vivid racing a few days ago and they cancelled the block saying it was out of stock. Currently running no MMR parts, stock tensioners, boundary crank timing gear and oil pump gears. Been running 91 octane mixed with boostane for 15 months. Knew head bolts would stretch and eventually give out causing a head gasket failure, car doesn't sound bad since just coolant in engine oil. Want to build it and have it last longer. Water jacket supports any issues with these, I've heard mixed reviews about them.

OP
OP
Kahboom

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know what the issue with MMR is. I know there engine builds aren't that great or people who balance there rotating assembly but parts seem ok. Want to order Modular head shop 1200hp rotating assembly. Also have phenolic spacers and upgraded VMP intercooler pump to go in with mods, considering building transmission to stage3 from Ben Calimer since it's out and upgrade to dual clutch. Will see how far I get, but since it's out again.

OP
OP
Kahboom

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, I guess it does suit what happened.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
To be honest I’ve never had an MMR part cause me any issues only their engines but they do not stand behind their products so I won’t give them a dime. I have block supports/water jacket supports in my engine right now no issues. Fit good work so far. You can get a mhs rotating assembly they are good about standing behind there parts. If you are staying under the 1100-1200hp you mentioned and it’s a daily driver I would get Mahle 4032 pistons. If it is a all out race engine 2618 would be better

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ordered from Vivid racing a few days ago and they cancelled the block saying it was out of stock.
Check THmotorsports.
They’re probably out of stock because the price, $675 is cheap. I’m thinking about getting a couple extra just because of the price
Sponsored