Sponsored

Gauge problems...cold weather based

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
So I'm in Houston and it's usually not too cold here. I have a GT PP, so I have the two mechanical gauges above the radio. When it's cold outside (50* or less) and dark with headlights on auto the two gauges in the middle do not illuminate. Depending on how cold it is they eventually will after the car is warm, usually at least 10 minutes. It was 36* this morning and they did after about half an hour.

Weird thing is, if you go through the my color options none of them work on those two gauges but they do change the speedo/tach colors, BUT...when you choose white the speedo/tach go white and so do the center gauges... When it is warm enough it doesn't matter, all the my colors work properly on all gauges.

So basically conditions are:

Cold out
Headlights on auto and dark enough to turn lights on and illuminate gauges to nighttime setting
Center PP gauges don't illuminate unless white is selected

Anyone up north seen this where they are much colder than I am down here?
Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I never heard of this problem before. You are better of taking it to the dealer. I have the same car and drive in -20 degree weather, no problems with the gauge lighting!

OP
OP

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the third time it's been at the dealer and previously they "couldn't duplicate the problem". I went there this morning as it was in the 40's here and rode with the tech for about 15 minutes with a hat covering the headlight sensor on the dash to simulate when it's dark outside. FINALLY he witnessed first hand that it took a little more than 10 minutes for the center gauges to illuminate...and I had the heat on high with the two center vents closed to get it warm quick...usually takes longer with normal cabin temps at this ambient temp.

Call into Ford hotline now and he's waiting on them to tell him the next step. He's already run every diagnostic he could do on his own, so we'll see what they say. Most likely just replace the gauges and see what happens. I'll post up results in case anyone else has or eventually has the same issue.

OP
OP

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hotline is suggesting they replace the entire instrument cluster....NOT the two PP gauges.

Makes no sense to me but whatever, we'll see what happens.....maybe. If they don't get the new cluster here quick we will run out of cold weather and won't know if this resolves the problem for a f'n year!

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I have had a similar issue a couple of times. I'm not sure it is temperature dependent in my case though as it has happened when my garage has been in the 60's and down into the 20's as well.

I will start the car. Gauge lights will not come on right away. A couple of times they have come on after a few seconds. Another time I had to drive about 2/10 a mile before they finally came on. I've also noticed that my rear view mirror will be dimmed as well. It shouldn't be its dark enough in my garage in the morning it should not self dim. I will keep an eye on it but it hasn't happened for a few days.

Let us know what happens, thanks. :)

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
It is the symptom of either a cold solder joint on the board or a faulted LED. More likely the solder joint. Just enough heat to make a connection and complete the circuit.

Probably overkill replacing the dash, but there are FEW techs that could troubleshoot down to the component level.

OP
OP

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Instrument cluster ordered and should be installed today or tomorrow. Since it contains the odometer the dealership has to take possession of the car, park it, report mileage to Ford and Ford programs the new odometer then sends it to the dealer. Car cannot move during this time to insure no odometer tampering/non reported miles driven...lots of effort for these two gauges lol

It's cold again here in Houston today and tomorrow so hopefully we can see if this rectifies the problem.

OP
OP

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well they replaced the cluster and it didn't fix anything. They are now ordering the actual gauges but ETA on the part is unknown as they had issues even getting the appropriate part number when trying to order from Ford....FML.

My guess is it won't be cold enough here again this season to even see if this works by the time they get the part, so I'll update when I know something.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well they replaced the cluster and it didn't fix anything. They are now ordering the actual gauges but ETA on the part is unknown as they had issues even getting the appropriate part number when trying to order from Ford....FML.
Let's get that Pony shining bright again, gtmiller1001. Send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll look into additional resources on my end. :D

Jeff

Sponsored
OP
OP

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's get that Pony shining bright again, gtmiller1001. Send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll look into additional resources on my end. :D

Jeff
Thanks, PM sent.

Wizzard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Convertible GT Premium 401A 50th ann package
I will start the car. Gauge lights will not come on right away. A couple of times they have come on after a few seconds. Another time I had to drive about 2/10 a mile before they finally came on. I've also noticed that my rear view mirror will be dimmed as well. It shouldn't be its dark enough in my garage in the morning it should not self dim. )
The rearview mirror dims because the interior dome lamps were on or the garage door opener lights were on when the door was opened. Mirror takes a few seconds to clear again.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious what was the resolution to the original issue?
Sponsored