Sponsored

FYI switching from E85R to Flex for winter

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Good day everyone.

Just wanted to pass a long a bit of info as colder weather approaches many of us for the winter and some may be transitioning off E85..

I have been running Lunds E85R tune for the last few months and currently have a 1/2 tank of E85 bottle tested at E80. I wanted to swap to the flex tune as my next fill will be 93 octane. The car will sit for several weeks at a time for the winter hence my desire to change fuels.

Anyways, when loading the flex tune my car would start stumble and die. After 7-8 attempts the car finally continued idling and smoothed out. I contacted Lund to discuss and it was explained that the flex tune expects 93 octane at first and then scales up it’s learning depending on ethanol content. Because I was at E80 in the tank the tune was having difficulty adapting at first.

I wanted to provide folks a heads up that if you come off the E85R tune to the flex tune with straight E85 in the tank, your car may have initial trouble starting but will sort itself out after a few starts.

I question now, while on the flex tune and running straight E85 why the car wouldn’t have trouble starting after each fill if the tune expects 93 octane at first? I know the tune “learns” but with the flex tune, doesn’t a fill up of greater than X gallons reset the learn flag for ethanol content?
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It only expects 93 after a flash or KAM reset.

When you fill the tank it starts where it left off. So if you had E50 and filled with 93 E10 it will start with the settings for E50 then learn the E10.

OP
OP

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
It only expects 93 after a flash or KAM reset.

When you fill the tank it starts where it left off. So if you had E50 and filled with 93 E10 it will start with the settings for E50 then learn the E10.
That makes more sense. Thanks!

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Ask Lund for extra crank fuel in the tune for Winter.

I now have 5 tunes in my nGauge.

Straight Pump Gas
Flex Tune
E85r Tune
Flex Tune with extra crank fuel for winter
E85r Tune with extra crank fuel for winter

The crank fuel certainly helped to start the car in the colder months
Sponsored